Anyone tried Laird RM1XX modules?

Did someone maybe made a NOTEPAD ++ language file for LAIRD smartBasic, which includes the LoRa commands for the RM186 and would like to share this ?
I am struggling to get it right. :sunglasses:

Hi,
You temporarily get them from https://www.dropbox.com/s/30bf5c40qizi5a7/RM1xx_Notepad%2B%2B.zip?dl=0

tnx, but thatā€™s not complete with LORA commands , its the one from the LAIRD site.
But I fixed it today myself
:innocent:

What functions are missing?

LORAMACSleepMode
LORAMACReset
LORAMACJoin
LORAMACLinkCheck
LORAMACTxData
LORAMACRxData
LORAMACGetOption
LORAMACSetOption

but I have it working now, only some fine tuning :wink:

All those functions are in the linked file, Iā€™m assuming notepad++ is case sensitive (I donā€™t use it)? From the file I attached are functions such as: GPIOUNASSIGNEVENT, LORAMACSLEEPMODE, LORAMACRESET, LORAMACJOIN (notice theyā€™re all in upper case). All the LoRaMAC functions on the RM1xx series are included in that zip however.

sorry then iā€™ve missed that, will have another look :sunglasses:

• you were right

I have a smartBasic question :

val = 3

wr$="\40\09"
rc=strsetchr(wr$,val,2)
rc=SpiWrite(wr$)

what is wr$ here ?

strsetchr should append (because position ā€˜2ā€™ is past the end index) the val to the existing wr$

so wr$ becomes ā€œ\40\09\03ā€

Does this answer your question?

1 Like

yes it does now ! ā€¦ its part of an example program from the dev kit, where the rm186 controls the spi connected mcp23S08 and which I try to understand.

thank you :sunglasses:

Iā€™m trying to use the LTC2941 Coulomb counter / Battery gauge on the development kit. Iā€™ve seen the Laird example and can see the counter value increasing however Iā€™m not sure what itā€™s actually measuring in real terms.

The manual refers to the LTC2941 datasheet but Iā€™m struggling to apply that information to the development kit (ie sense resistor on kit seems to be 1ā„¦)

Any tips would be most welcome. Maybe @BWhitten or someone who has used ICs like this before?

EDIT: I think I figured it out, going by the formula in the datasheet

and replacing Rsense with 1Ī© I think each ā€œcountā€ measured on the kit reflects 4.25 Ī¼Ah

If someone can confirm this Iā€™d be very grateful.

Havenā€™t played with that gauge part on the dev kit.
I am allready happy that I can turn a led on and off through SPI :sunglasses:

1 Like

New firmware available in the Software Downloads section of the Laird website http://www.lairdtech.com/products/rm1xx-lora-modules

RM186 v18.4.1.0

Canā€™t download the Release notes (my user account doesnā€™t have permission apparently), but some new options from the include file:

LORAMAC_OPT_MAX_RETRIES 25 //RW - Sets the maximum amount of times a packet can be transmitted without recevieing and acknowledgement

// Private options not publicly documented
LORAMAC_OPT_DUTY_CYCLE_ENABLE 100 //RW - Enable/Disable the duty cycle checks
LORAMAC_OPT_RX2_DEFAULT_DATARATE 101 //RW - Sets the RX2 window default datarate. This is only to get around a bug in the Semtech website.

1 Like

Thanks to the fast technical suppport from Claudio Camilucci and Rick Tretow, the website is fixed.
The release notes for the new firmware > http://www.lairdtech.com/system/files/Release%20Notes%20-%20RM1xx%20Firmware%20v17.4.1.0%20and%2018.4.1.0.pdf

1 Like

waiting 3 weeks @ Farnell for a few RM186 ā€¦ :rage:

Huh? They have 35 pieces in stockā€¦

yes I knowā€¦ but they said they have to wait for an export license from LAIRD ā€¦

I had the same problem on Sparkfun (export license) with their new ESP32 thing, but now got 3 on my desk :wink:

And I had the same with RN2483ā€™s ordered at Mouser (US)ā€¦
What I donā€™t get is why they advertise them on the website as same day delivery; while in real it takes 3 weeks :frowning:

well problem solved !!!

but still donā€™t understand this 'export license thingā€¦ they have them in stock according to their site, but if you order youā€™ll have to wait weeks.
so whoā€™s to blameā€¦ why do you need for every chip an export license ?