AppEUI - IEEE / where to buy/register?

Hi,

The AppEUI used in LoRaWAN is an IEEE EUI 64 bit identifier. I am wondering how I would be able to get my own AppEUI.

Does any of you have experience with this?

Thanks
Jeroen

1 Like

Assuming you don’t want to pay US $730 for a small block:

Aside, one cannot resell EUIs:

See also DevEUI for non-hardware assigned values.

1 Like

Hi Arjan,

Thanks for pointing it out that the AppEUIs are basically blocks of MAC addresses. Was not aware of that :slight_smile:

When you want to put a LoRaWAN based product in the market I guess one must buy such a block (whether you like it or not …).

I’ve not read all details, but maybe taking it one step further using Microchip’s ATECC608A-TNGLORA secure element ($0.85 each when buying 5,000 chips, so $4,250), which I think should make deployments easier, might be interesting? I’m not sure if that includes the EUIs as well, or maybe no longer needs EUIs at all.

From ATECC608A-TNGLORA Pre-Provisioned secure element with LoRaWAN™ TTN Join Server Getting Started Guide:

Your LoRaWAN end-point needs an identity, and the security of that identity is paramount! Fortunately, the ATECC608A-TNGLORA pre-provisioned part contains all the information necessary to allow your LoRaWAN end-point to securely connect with The Things Network’s Join Service. You can think of the chip like a SIM card for a mobile phone. For development, and this guide, you will use an AT88CKSCKTUDFN-XPRO socket board to let the SAMR34 XPlained Pro board connect to The Things Network LoRaWAN Join server.

Labs story: Upgrading LoRaWAN Application by adding Secure Communication and Secure Key Provisioning onto Microchip ATSAMR34 Xplained Pro Kit.

As for a vendor lock-in, the first links states:

The configuration and credentials are locked in the device and cannot be changed unless a re-keying is requested to the TTI join server to move the device to a different join server than TTI. The TTI join server is agnostic of the network server or application server either it’s a public or private network.

TTI: https://www.thethingsindustries.com/technology/security-solution

Absolutely something to look into. Besides the AppEUI I will look at the SE as well. Thanks a lot. Will drop my experience here later on .