AppEUI - IEEE / where to buy/register?

Hi,

The AppEUI used in LoRaWAN is an IEEE EUI 64 bit identifier. I am wondering how I would be able to get my own AppEUI.

Does any of you have experience with this?

Thanks
Jeroen

1 Like

Assuming you don’t want to pay US $730 for a small block:

Aside, one cannot resell EUIs:

See also DevEUI for non-hardware assigned values.

2 Likes

Hi Arjan,

Thanks for pointing it out that the AppEUIs are basically blocks of MAC addresses. Was not aware of that :slight_smile:

When you want to put a LoRaWAN based product in the market I guess one must buy such a block (whether you like it or not …).

I’ve not read all details, but maybe taking it one step further using Microchip’s ATECC608A-TNGLORA secure element ($0.85 each when buying 5,000 chips, so $4,250), which I think should make deployments easier, might be interesting? I’m not sure if that includes the EUIs as well, or maybe no longer needs EUIs at all.

From ATECC608A-TNGLORA Pre-Provisioned secure element with LoRaWAN™ TTN Join Server Getting Started Guide:

Your LoRaWAN end-point needs an identity, and the security of that identity is paramount! Fortunately, the ATECC608A-TNGLORA pre-provisioned part contains all the information necessary to allow your LoRaWAN end-point to securely connect with The Things Network’s Join Service. You can think of the chip like a SIM card for a mobile phone. For development, and this guide, you will use an AT88CKSCKTUDFN-XPRO socket board to let the SAMR34 XPlained Pro board connect to The Things Network LoRaWAN Join server.

Labs story: Upgrading LoRaWAN Application by adding Secure Communication and Secure Key Provisioning onto Microchip ATSAMR34 Xplained Pro Kit.

As for a vendor lock-in, the first links states:

The configuration and credentials are locked in the device and cannot be changed unless a re-keying is requested to the TTI join server to move the device to a different join server than TTI. The TTI join server is agnostic of the network server or application server either it’s a public or private network.

TTI: The Things Stack

Absolutely something to look into. Besides the AppEUI I will look at the SE as well. Thanks a lot. Will drop my experience here later on .

The MA-S is as far as I can see not sufficient for an AppEUi. For AppEUI the EUI-64 is required, while the MA-S only provides 36 bits without the OUI.

So buying an OUI (MA-L) is required (USD 2905)

The IEEE (OUI / MA-L) states the following:

A MA-L assignment includes an OUI and the right to generate various extended identifiers based on that OUI. It is most often used to create IEEE 802-defined MAC addresses (EUI-48 and EUI-64).

1 Like

Ah, interesting. Just in case you missed it from the links above, TTN did buy such MA-S block:

This starts with 0x70B3D57ED and does mention an OUI, but it’s not my cup of tea:

Details
OUI 70:B3:D5:7E:D
Company name The Things Network Foundation
Border left 70:B3:D5:7E:D0:00
Border right 70:B3:D5:7E:DF:FF
Block size 4,096
Assignment block size MA-S

OK I indeed missed that link -> IEEE is a bit confusing to me. But seems you are right and the MA-S is sufficient.

I noticed TTN in this list as well IEEE MA-S

Thanks again Arjan

PS: So to fulfil the EUI-64 the right bits are filled up to whatever you want?

Border left 70:B3:D5:7E:D0:00:xx:xx
Border right 70:B3:D5:7E:DF:FF:xx:xx

…though maybe the macaddress.io website always assumes an OUI, so just always shows the first bytes of every block to be the OUI? (I don’t like that they always refer to “MAC Address”. That makes sense given the domain name but maybe the site is not suitable to get proper information for non-MAC address assignments?)

On Welcome to The Public Listing For IEEE Standards Registration Authority I don’t get much details when searching for 70B3D57ED:

I’d think so, yes. TTN documents, emphasis mine:

Applications

Applications in LoRaWAN and The Things Network have a 64 bit unique identifier (AppEUI). When you create an application, The Things Network’s account server allocates an AppEUI from the address block of The Things Network Foundation. This means that every application has at least an AppEUI that starts with 70B3D57ED. If you have your own AppEUIs, you can also add those to your application.

1 Like

To add to the confusion, the help on macaddress.io says on What is an Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI)?, emphasis mine:

An OUI is a 24-bit globally unique assigned number. An OUI is assigned with a MA-L identifier block …

So, I’d expect the OUI to be 3 bytes, not 4½ bytes (36 bits) as shown in TTN’s registration. However, the 24 bits 70:B3:D5 is registered to IEEE itself, probably to allow for assigning it to multiple smaller blocks.

And from macaddress.io’s What is a MA-L, MA-M, MA-S assignment?

Name Full name Previously named Number of Addresses
MA-L MAC Address Block Large OUI (Organizationally Unique Identifier) 224 ~= 16 Million
MA-M MAC Address Block Medium - 220 ~= 1 Million
MA-S MAC Address Block Small OUI-36 (encompasses IAB Assignments) 212 ~= 4,096

So, only 12 bits in 212 for the remaining 28 bits of an EUI-64 with a 36 bits OUI? I’m quite sure that 4,096 “addresses” would not suffice for TTN. So again I think that macaddress.io is focused on true MAC addresses, using a total of 48 bits?

And, finally, from What is an Individual Address Block (IAB)?, probably no longer relevant:

The Individual Address Block is an inactive registry activity, which was replaced by the MA-S registry product as of January 1, 2014. The owner of a previously assigned IAB may continue to use the assignment until its exhaustion. The IAB was used by organizations and companies that required less than 4097 unique 48-bit numbers (EUI‌-48) and thus found little sense in buying their own OUI. The IAB uses a MA-L (and OUI) belonging to the IEEE Registration Authority, linked with 12 additional IEEE-provided bits (for a total of 36 bits), leaving only 12 bits for the IAB owner to assign to their individual devices (up to 4096).

@htdvisser, am I right to assume that TTN just uses all 28 rightmost bits of the assigned MA-S block?

macaddress.io also mentions (refering to MA-S, MA-M, MA-L) the following:

There are currently 3 different size blocks of MAC Addresses available. All three could be used to generate universally administered MAC‌-48 and MAC‌-64.

My interpretation of that: You can use the MA-S to create a MAC-64 / EUI-64. This also is shown in the IEEE RA Guidelines for Use of EUI, OUI, and CID (see Table below)

IEEE-MA-S

1 Like