Big ESP32 / SX127x topic part 1

Sure. Included in .txt. Rename to .ino for use in Arduino (don’t know how to make a nice indent post;)

esp32-TTGO-gps-v1-abp.txt (12.5 KB)

Current code does send on gps.location.isValid. Change this to gps.location.isUpdated for sending on GPS location update.

grt

Ewoud

1 Like

Many Thanks for the Detailed Instructions !!
I have it all up and running .
I do Have some problems tho .

needs {} because It always say’s “Received ACK” on the LCD .

If I set the confirmed flag in LMIC_setTxData2(1, mydata, sizeof(mydata)-1, 1);
We should get an ACK .
Have you managed to actually get an ACK back from the gateway ?
I did some debugging , & have never had a packet come out of the radio …
I.E. in radio.c :: radio_irq_handler (u1_t dio)
I never get an event triggered because of an RXDONE
I have tried similar code connecting to another gateway Kotahi in NZ .
I can not get an ACK event in the radio with them either .
I do assume it is being sent .

As we only have one channel running on our little ESP32 Gateways , should we modify the device code
to only use one channel ?

Barry

Ah, that’s why they sell those TTGO boards in pairs :wink:

Had some trouble with the LMIC_setTxData2. Changed it to “LMIC_setTxData2(1, lpp.getBuffer(), lpp.getSize(), 0);” (without -1 and 0 instead of 1 in the end) but do get ack back. You could try to see if this works.

Probably a nice link but useless for those without a facebook account…

hi,
what is the lpp structure you mention ?
does your EV_TXCOMPLETE look like this for TXRX_ACK ? . I.E. enclosed in {} .
if (LMIC.txrxFlags & TXRX_ACK){
Serial.println(F(“Received ack”));
u8x8.clearLine(7);
u8x8.drawString(0, 7, "Received ACK ");
}

Hi. No its the instruction for queing a packet. See my code example in previous post. The lpp is a buffer with the data to be send using the cayenne low power library.

Grt

Got in contact with my seller on aliexpress and he asked me to check soldering and of some are lifted to resolder.

This is the schematic of tthe TTGO board.

IMG_0551

I will test it as soon as my board arrives!

Hi,
Had a look at the txt file with the code .
That will Allways set ttnstat to “Recieved ack” .
The code should be

if (LMIC.txrxFlags & TXRX_ACK){
          Serial.println(F("Received ack"));
          ttnstat = "Recieved ack";
          disp();
       }

thanks for the info. The schematic shows only the RF part. Any chance to get the complete schematic from the same source?

Anyone here who knows how to switch off core 1 of ESP32 using PlatformIO IDE with framework=arduino?

(i must use Framework arduino, because i need LMIC library and there is no one for ESP-IDF, as far as i know. In ESP-IDF single core operation can be set by using a compile option UNICORE)

Andreas has done work on deepsleep

Not sure it answers your question re single core use though,

Sorry to ask a newbee question mrme - but how do you test the soldering on the board? I’m guessing tweezers, magnifying glass, multi-meter and a surgeon’s touch are needed… but maybe there’s an easier way?

After some field testing with the “Heltec” Board i can confirm that it’s LoRa RF performance is on a normal level.

I used the enclosed 4cm rubber antenna and got a 2,4km bidirectional connection in the city, not line of sight. Sending with SF9 the “Heltec” was seen on the Gateway with rssi -117.

Backed on my experiences with LoRaWAN hardware so far i think this result is ok.

3 Likes

Agreed @Verkehrsrot - 2km+ sounds pretty reasonable. I think the problems many people have been having are with TTGO (not Heltec); with less than 100m of range.

I wished i could overlook that chinese production and distribution chains. Products often look and seem to be identical, and obviously are labelled with brand names (“Heltec”?, “Wemos”?) but you don’t know what is the original, what is a copy, and who sells reliable originals.

1 Like

I just peeped under the display on the Heltec WiFi LoRa I have here.

SMT component placement is close to perfect, definitely machine done. The exception is the BAT LED, that looks hand placed. PCB is not of the highest quality, but good enough.

I intend to do a ping test (when it stops raining here) that should tell me the actual dB performance difference (if any) between the Heltec and a RFM98 module.

Hi,
to add some experience with Heltec Wifi Lora devices - i ve got one which gets very very hot after some seconds, i guess there is something wrong with the pcb too…

Maybe some has the same issue and solved it already?

regards,
andreas

In summary, which ones are the best? TTGO V1, V2? Heltec?