Big ESP32 + SX127x topic part 2

You can put the SSD1306 to sleep when using the Adafruit library;

disp.ssd1306_command(SSD1306_DISPLAYOFF);

Takes less than 1uA in this mode.

Just tested using the adafruit library. Difference is very small. Power consumption only goes down to about 7mA. I wonder if the other peripherals can be put to sleep or shut down (e.g. RFM95 chip, SD card reader etc).

Make sure your SSD1306 is not the 5V type. The 3.3V ones do not have a regulator on the back.

I just received a warning from the TTGO (lilygo store) regarding their TTGO ESP32 Lora v2 1.6 with regards to charging LiPoā€™s via the 2.1 1.6 board.

:warning: Please all be careful. Message below:

Diode components should be used on the charging circuit.

We used a fuse. The diode is energized in one direction, but the fuse is bidirectional, which causing the USB voltage directly access to the battery.

After a long time charged, the battery is hot or burned, so please donā€™t use this V2.1-1.6 version to charge the battery! ! !

(Note: The board can be powered by battery, but we mustnā€™t charge the battery when the battery is connected to the board, mustnā€™t charge! mustnā€™t charge! mustnā€™t charge!)

If you want to use this V2.1-1.6 version to charge the battery, you need to replace the fuse in the picture with a diode, then the charging function return to be normal.

It can be changed the model number of the diode : BS5819 SOD123 / 1A current

5 Likes

Hi
I just made an modified version of LMIC for ESP32.
It handle deep sleep between TX (by saving state to RTC RAM)
It use ESP AES functions and RTC clock.

If you are interested the code is here : https://github.com/ngraziano/lmicesp32

I test it on Heltec board in EU868.

2 Likes

This seems to be a reaction to my post above, i forwarded it to Lilygo. That means my assumption battery has direct connection to 5V USB was validated by them.

Unfortunately another fatal design flaw and poor quality management seen at a chinese manufacturerā€¦

1 Like

I received same mail today.
This is really dangerous. If i would have left the board with battery and USB connected unattended, my flat would probably had burned down. And i used a small 3Wh battery only. Thatā€™s far less than e.g. a common 18650 cellā€¦

Iā€™ve designed a small snap fit case for the ttgo V2 1.6. Some rough edges that I will clean tomorrow and then Iā€™ll put it on thingiverse.

20180911_23225320180911_232222

2 Likes

good afternoon , i am trying to go down the ttgo v1 consume ā€¦ in this moment i am in 8.7 ma ; i remove the leds license plate and the battery charger ā€¦ someone Has anyone been able to lower this consumption?

It wonā€™t be possible because of the board design. See this post on github and the entire thread for more information about this:

They are talking about the Heltec version, but the same principle should apply to the TTGO.

1 Like

hi, in this moment i have a ttgo in 800 uA, i want to get down more; but the flash memory isnā€™t in sleep mode.

Thanks

1 Like

How have you come to that power consumption? Very interested!

Iā€™ve also got the TTGO ESP32 V2 1.6 unfortunately still canā€™t see the design on Thingiverse. Can you check if youā€™ve published publicly?

If you now following the link, you got the view off a nice case.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3098676

Be careful with connecting a battery, did you see the warnings above?

In the TTGO v1.6 design power from USB and battery runs over a diode (at least it should, when the did not accidently used a fuse). That means that we give about 0,1 Watt of power at this early point in heat, even before it arrives at any circuitā€¦ :frowning:

Hi all,

Been trying to use a 18650 rechargeable lithium ion battery with my TTGO ESP32 SX1276 microcontroller and not having much luck. TTGO does not seem to want to be powered by the battery.

From my understanding I thought that if you plug in the TTGO via micro USB it simply charged the battery and you are good to go, but it doesnā€™t seem to be the case with my testing.

Has anyone had any experience with powering this board using a battery? If so, could you please tell me what you had to do to get it working.

Thanks in advance.

Attached below are photos showing my setup for reference:
IMG_1837
IMG_1838
IMG_1839
IMG_1840

to lower the consumption it is necessary to review the hardware very well, to be able to lower the consumptions.

Which version of the board are you using? Beware:

My board isnā€™t the 1.6v-v2.1. It has no indication of the model on it. The link I supplied above shows a board identical to mine, excluding the OLED.

Iā€™ll try charging the battery again to see if I didnā€™t charge it long enough. How long do I need to leave it for if I do so?