Blank page TTN console

TTN console (The Things Network Console ) is still show only blank page - debug tools show problem with javascript.
What I need to make for repair this ? Cache of browser resetted many times.
Thank you

You ask @Jeff-UK to form an alliance as we (me & Jeff) know about this but we are struggling to get enough detail together to submit an issue.

So if you could share your OS version and your browser name & version, we will have detail.

I initially saw problems (started Late Monday?) and reported on Slack #Ops Channel Tues & Wed. Have Cross posted today to Slack #Website channel. I also now see same issue as you as cant even open main Console site (blank) let alone the sub /gateway or /applications pages etc. Briefly discussed issue on Moderators sync call Friday but there is nothing we Mods can do as we dont access the core systems.

Initially saw your post a couple of hours ago when on iPad and can confirm I see the same issue with main Console page on that too! :frowning:

Currently cant manage anything on V3 - going to make trying to do the Things Summer Academy sessions starting Monday early a.m. a bundle of fun! unless someone from the TTi Core team pick up on this and fixes quickly :man_shrugging:

@dudasekk Per Nicks request please identify your OS, Browser & Version ASAP so we get better handle on problem.

Hi, my OS is Linux OpenSUSE Leap 15.2, my browser is Mozilla Firefox bundled by OpenSUSE (78.12ESR 64-bit)

Web tools console say this:

This page uses the non standard property ā€œzoomā€. Consider using calc() in the relevant property values, or using ā€œtransformā€ along with ā€œtransform-origin: 0 0ā€. console
Uncaught TypeError: Intl.DisplayNames is not a constructor
    A with-locale.js:34
    T with-locale.js:81
    js with-locale.js:75
    Webpack 7
with-locale.js:34:24

This page uses the non standard property ā€œzoomā€. Consider using calc() in the relevant property values, or using ā€œtransformā€ along with ā€œtransform-origin: 0 0ā€. console
Uncaught TypeError: Intl.DisplayNames is not a constructor
    Webpack 7
with-locale.js:34:24
    reduce self-hosted:276
    Webpack 7

I get the same, so if we can get @Jeff-UK to open his developer tools (bang goes my afternoon), we should be golden.

Just heading our for a couple of hours (mapping & doing a gw service) so will try later (oh Nickā€¦ ye of little faith! - but much experience :slight_smile: ). Would have been out already but lost late morning re-installing Ubuntu on an eng m/c so I can test console with FFox under 18.04 & 20.04 LTSā€¦

Just confirmed unable to open in new install of Ubuntu 18.04 under FFox 78.13.0 fresh download/install out of box no changes to settings/privacy/add-ons, etcā€¦

Itā€™s broken :frowning:

Also see same warning in tools wrt zoom useā€¦

Working OK on MSFT Edge latest release under Win 10 - problem is several companies policies say no use of Chrome or Edge, and several clients & collaborators have FFox as standard browser so this needs to be corrected.

Checked a 20.4 Ubuntu build with FFox 78.13 last night and still no good - forced to use fresh machines with alternate browsers for this weeks Summer Academy - convenient, but irritating short term work around, but not a long term solution!

Is anyone from TTI core montoring posts or looking at the Slack #website channel?

Yes. Looking into this.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just merged a fix that will hopefully fix this issue.

This will land in the next release scheduled for the 25th of August and deployments should be made in the week thereafter. Please report back after that in case the issue persists.

Really? Another 9 Days before being able (possiby!) to use standard tools to access the Console!?

How/Why did it break, what was done to test before release? What assurance that lessons learned and we wont see a repeat going forward?

(its not that FFox ESR isnt a mainstream and professional environment demanded by many companies and organisations as a stable platform vs some fly by night move fast and break things environment! e.g. See Nickā€™s comment wrt MOD use on Slack!)

This is NOT a good lookā€¦

This should be a 9hrs (working day) poss 24hrs max emergency patch/fix once identified!!!

2 Likes

I was now able to confirm the fix resolving the issue in FF ESR. We will make a snapshot deployment for The Things Stack Cloud on Monday (no deployments on Friday :pray:) first and based on that also update the deployment on TTN.

Additionally, Iā€™ll look into improving our end-to-end tests with some additional cross-browser smoke tests.

1 Like

That would be much appreciated. I find FireFox & Chrome ESRā€™s are the main ones. Whilst I use latest Safari for general & latest Chrome for development it is useful to have a base line to fall back on. Edge for IoT users doesnā€™t appear to crop up much and doesnā€™t appear to have a stable release (at all, ever).

1 Like

The ā€˜no render pageā€™ problem also seems to impact some parts of website and e.g. community maps etc when navigating/clicking objectsā€¦will your fix sort that also - are the systems linked (I suspect?) so carry over?

I echo Nicks comment with caveat I have lots of people who take position of ā€˜anything reasonable but not Chrome!ā€™ ā€¦personally and for various company uses its just ā€˜not Chromeā€™! Am also finding more and more using Safari (on MAC or IPadsā€¦)

These systems are not linked and I also only work on the product (Console, Account App). If there are concrete problems, please report them separately, so I can poke the responsible people.

Btw my fix also includes getting rid of more of these blank page crashes, so that at least there is an error message presented.

We typically periodically check among latest versions of major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge) but also checking older or ESR versions is where things can become very tedious very quickly. Anyway there are ways to automate such things but even then 100% confidence is not easy to reach.

Ok will capture and post under a new thread and call you in.

Professionals tend to prefer to use stable platforms and browsersā€¦ so though tedious I would have thought they (ESR types) would be top of the check list?! Itā€™s the stuff that changes every day and on a whim with feature adds and pulls that kills thingsā€¦ would it not be good to have 2 or 3 declared base (stable) releases announced and called out as ā€œwe support these use anything else at your own riskā€ or (implicitly) if you are happy with data slurps or being sold to and acting as product! A change over night to main release of major browser can kill you so best use something with stability and declared life/support cycleā€¦ surely. Just expressing an opinionā€¦

There are two in the corporate world (a space that I believe @wienkegiezeman would like TTI to inhabit), Firefox & Chrome and it is not unreasonable to only have the latest version of them as by definition they are bug tested to hell before release, so again, by definition, older versions of ESR have more bugs than the latest version.

I have both installed on my macOS and my Windows 10 machines along side the latest & greatest releases so can launch them at will whenever I need to. I also have about 20 VMware configurations for the more esoteric combinations of the platforms I have to work against regularly. Overall I think I have several TB of client workstation configurations, I try not to think about it as Iā€™m really bad at tidying up.

A script / bitch file or whatever can open a particular version to a particular point inside the console assuming the credentials are saved.

So, you run the bitch file, it opens Firefox ESR & Chrome ESR, observe that the page has rendered in each, click the close box on both, congratulate yourself on a smoke test well done, go to bar & drink beer. Iā€™m buying.

Sorry Nick, but not enough! :wink:

You dont just look for initial render - you also have to test navigating around the page and that is the issue Iā€™m also highlighting wrt website (and will raise another thread for, with examples.) If you want to see for yourself go to original map https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/map where you can readily navigate around and move/zoom in/out open and close objects (GW info etcā€¦) with no problems. Now pick a community page and try that and let me know what you see happenā€¦ I tried with your nearest :wink: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/bolton/ & you can also look at a couple of mine, say https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/bourne-end-and-cookham/ or https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/warrington/ or perhaps even try https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/amsterdam/ :rofl: Click on a gw, close info box, grab map to move zoom in/out etc. (esp try if an info box open etcā€¦) How do your browsers cope? andā€¦FFox ESR?

@kschiffer please give it a try alsoā€¦

Well if we can get the test team to do that as a start ā€¦

From my perspective Iā€™m rather conservative with my JavaScript, I use the Vanilla JS framework and I have a test render page that exercises all the ā€œcuteā€ bits of the descartes toolkit. This came about due to the simple fact I pre-date JS, so when it arrived in a browser it was relatively easy to keep up.

Iā€™ve a mix of discrete pages but many are mini Single Page Applications so a page load at the start tells me most of what I need to know. The console is similar.

So for me, if a page loads, Iā€™m 99.9% sure Iā€™m good to go.

The fix has been deployed. TTN now works properly again on my FF ESR 78.