Can not add Generic Node SE in Cloud

I am a totally newbie trying to get the original Generic Node SE out of the box running.

(1) Is it possible that the on the node printed QR Code contains a wrong DevEUI?

QR code and gateway protocol are showing different values.

Text of scanned QR-Code, identical with the readable value (with x inserted by me):

DEV:LW:70B3D57ED0000000_xxxxxxxxxxxxxB0xx_00000000_Vxxxxxxxxx1

The MikroTik gateway shows after device power-on a Dev EUI with a 3 digit
difference at the end (“B1xx”, all other digits are equal to the QR code):

(2) Only one time the camera QR code reading has worked!

Now the QR code is not anymore transmitted to the cloud doing it with different cameras (PC or mobile phone). I get always:

I have got a original “The Thing Industries” device and the QR code scan is not working anymore?

(3) Manually device registration fails (regardless which DevEUI used):

After I did not got any payload before I have tried to add the QR code data manually:

Now I get anytime the field “Claim authentication code” and at the end the following failure:

I have tired many times to use the QR code DevEUI and the different one found in the protocol.
Nothing works.

How to continue?

Problem solved:

• A college in my company who has ask me what I am doing in my hobby and I have told him my frustrations with the “Generic Node”.
  • I have not known that he has previously worked for long time in a larger LoRaWAN company.
  • The guy explained me why my node can not work out-of-the box with the wrong QR code.
  • I sent back the Generic Node to the seller and I got back the money.
  • I have ordered a new Item from “The Things Industries” shop.
  • QR code is fitting to the firmware and everything is working out-of-the box.

Conclusion:

• The first delivered item could be declared as “Death On Arrival”, because the printed QR code has not fitted to the firmware and I have no readable “Claim ID” to get the product out-of-the box running.
  • For a beginner the worst case condition because this has been a half working device.
  • Without no support to identify this problem you are as newbie lost in space.

My personal conclusion - support “Things Industries”:

• I have written 2 EMAILS and made one phone call with one guy an got may promises how to help me.
  • After 1 month I didn’t get ANY response from this company selling the Generic Node product.
  • The do not feel responsible for there own product if there is a real problem.
  • You get for any cheaper product of any other company more support.

My personal conclusion - this forum:

• This is a death forum and a newbie is here on a total wrong place.
  • Maybe only freaks are supported and allowed here.

My personal conclusion - “The Things Industries” shop transparency:

• Order placed 04-JUL-2023 “Generic Node is coming”
  • EMAIL 10-JUL-2023: “Generic Node is coming”
    No tracking number or any further information what “coming” means.
  • Received on 14-JUL-2023 (lucky me)
    Any other store is more transparent.

My votings:

0 points for support
0 points for this forum

BYE

I’m sorry this post slipped past the my “no topic goes unanswered” radar - the majority of us are volunteers - TTI staff pop by occasionally - Slack is the support channel that gets their more immediate attention.

Anyone starting out who asks for advice before starting purchasing, is realistic about their current abilities with the wide range of technical topics that LoRaWAN and IoT touches on and is prepared to consume the learning materials will be absolutely fine. I know this because I do this with my clients regularly as well as the few that come here early in their journey.

The majority of newbie queries are from people with an X - Y problem but they don’t tell us the Y - just that the X they bought isn’t working / co-operating / doing what they need. After a while they tell us what the Y is - what they are trying to achieve and along the way we get some understanding of their knowledge levels. We can usually figure out something but solving X-Y problems without the user having the foundational knowledge rarely has a great outcome.

From 30 years coal-face project experience, I feel you are describing people that take a calm engineering-led approach to a project which will involve them learning as much as implementing. These are indeed in a minority but describing them as freaks is a bit harsh.

It is unfortunate that you had a negative experience with your first Generic Node.

I use it, it’s a well spec’d certified device with full support for LoRaMAC-node on the STM32 platform so as well as battery powered sensing, it has the chops to do all sorts of extras - like running an ML model.

It’s hard to comment on elements of your technical experience without knowing if you are comfortable with the STM32Cube IDE, programming, the LoRaMAC-node stack, LoRaWAN Network concepts & configuration and so forth. Even for someone happy with STM32 there’s a lot to learn. For those starting out with creating an IoT sensor, the Generic Node is a considerable handful of learning, not really a great place for a newbie.

There are/were other ways to get up & running - with a serial tool, using the credentials that the gateway heard in the join request or setting credentials in the firmware. None of which are newbie friendly.

I’m sure @cndrxn will take on board your feedback on the TTI shop & support processes.

Please make use of the forum - it’s got lots of resources. You may find this playlist useful: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgo-UUo7rFZSUONvw9V-NL2S8mX3B8ShA

2 Likes

Hi all,
@wkh-mail-de, I’m so sorry for the inconvenience on behalf of the TTI team.
Please note that in early June 2023 claiming process was being upgraded and later we discovered a bug in the QR code claiming process. It was later fixed towards the end of the months. Maybe it was wrongly claimed because of that.
Another assumption would be that, as you said, the QR code holds wrong data. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

I’m usually very proactive in sorting out Generic-Node related issues, as I mentioned in other forum posts.
I’ve already spent countless hours in video calls helping other customers with their GNSE related problems. From now on if you, or anybody who reads this has any problem with their device, please contact me directly orkhan [at] thethingsindustries.com. I’d be happy to help.

Btw, we have also freshened-up the Getting Started docs on our documentation page. Please have a look, you might find some useful tips there too.

And thanks to @descartes for bringing this issue to my attention.

1 Like

Was this “lost in translation” - there are some interesting design decisions (2.8V, really?? :wink: ) but overall the GNSE seems like a solid bit of kit.

Did you mean that there are some knowledge & training gaps for users to fill to implement the GNSE as they need? If there is a common theme I’d be happy to add to the video series.

If it wasn’t for the HP output which needs at least 2.8V to putput +22 dBm we’d have gone all the way down to 1.8V and add voltage level converter for the on-board/external sensors.
Reducing system voltage drastically reduces the overall power consumption due to the utilized switching regulators.

For newbies maybe, but for the experienced users GNSE is an open book. :smiley:
Nonetheless, if anyone has any trouble, please send them my way. I’d be more than happy to help.

Thank you Nick for your efforts and dedication in this form.

If anyone comes up against the DS18B20 temp sensors getting flakey due to their voltage requirements, the solution I’m using is a PWM output to run a small charge pump.

Good idea. Another daredevil move would be to replace the buck-boost converter with the 3.3V variant.

Charge pump so you can run on 2 x AA batteries and only use the pump when the DS18’s become unresponsive.

No chance, I saw someone soldering that by hand some months back and suggested it to Tom Cruise for his upcoming film - he said some things literally were Mission Impossible!

There’s now DFN package available (RP605K333B) of that converter and it’s much easier to work with.

1 Like