Connecting TTIG to The Things Stack (TTN V3)

As we found out the hard way, gateways that are claimed by one network (like Alpha-Omega), can’t be claimed by another network (like The Things Network). So if your gateway is now claimed by The Things Network, you don’t need to be worried about it getting claimed on another network.

As @Flix83 already wrote, IoT-Shop.de only claimed the gateways on their Alpha-Omega network so that they could easily reconfigure them for their customers if those customers reached out to IoT-Shop.de support. The guys were also very helpful and quick in helping us resolve the claiming issues for those who were affected, so believe me when I say you don’t have to worry.

In fact we can’t claim gateways that are claimed otherwise. That was the whole problem here as the gateways were already claimed. We did this to be able to configure them onto the v2 instance and to be able to troubleshoot them for our customers.
As for the credentials you are right. We don’t even have to read them of the devices as we get them as electronic lists. We receive the LoRaWAN-Keys for most of the sensors we sell as well. We are aware of the responsibility we have with these credentials and store them as securely as possible. We try to treat them with the same security as physical keys because they are in fact unlocking the communication with a device.

1 Like

I have bought a TTIG from seedstudio and cannot claim it in V3. I always get the error : can not update cups credentials…

I’m thinking about buying a TTIG from Amazon but the last reviews, in July 2021 suggest that it’s not compatible with the V3 stack whilst this post clearly seems to suggest it is compatible. Can someone confirm that these Amazon reviews are just wrong or is there still a compatibility issue?

Depends on who’s supplying it on Amazon and where they got them.

Original TTIG’s that came through less marketplace style channels just worked.

As you will have no doubt read some of the posts on the forum, because you’ll have searched, some sources of Browan indoor gateways have been facilitated by the vendor in a way that required a bit more sorting out but is now working.

I’ll leave you to decide which information source has more credibility: buyers putting reviews on Amazon or The Things Network forum.

Can you double check that your EUI and key are correct?

I’m also trying to claim my TTIG (which is registered and working in v2) to v3 following the procedure. However, no matter what I do I get a ‘No claim authentication code’. I am 100% sure the correct WiFi-password is inserted. Please help…

Capture

As it’s still being worked on, I have seen a couple of instances where the error message wasn’t entirely accurate.

Given the rather generic nature of your gateway ID which has to be unique across the entire of TTN, you may want to try again with something a little more personal.

Also your GW EUI looks a bit iffy - can you check it please (would normally expect to see FF FE as middle order bytes)… also no need to hide this as the info is available in the public domain for anyone having a device whose signal is picked up by your GW!

Good spot - I can just about see how a non-matching pair of EUI & WiFi password could be passed off with that error message.

@jeroenvandenbrand, where did you get the EUI from - or which instructions did you look at?

Solved it!! It was indeed an incorrect EUI. I inserted the FF FE characters at the end of the EUI that is printed on the back. It should be in the middle, as the guide says. So 100% my own fault… Running on v3 now. Thanks for the fast and good help!!

2 Likes

:+1: result! :slight_smile:

I was running the TTIG stand alone and with ABP devices, with no problem. But yesterday I lost connection with the network. So I have to register the TTIG in V3 and hope that everything will work again…

No, after my TTIG was stopped working, I stll have a blinking green led. Eneyone an idea what could be wrong?

Not register - claim! :slight_smile: Make sure you use the right process…

Yes I did… But I get a warning that it’s already known…
“gateway with EUI 58A0CBFFFE800968 already exists and is not authorized for claiming”
I don’t understand why my TTIG is still blinking it’s green led. I have set-up the TTIG from scratch on but still blinking… And all started about 4 days ago.

Oeps… RTFM… Followed the wrong procedure. Now it’s working!

Can you pls tell use which procedure you follow now? I have the same problem. Thx.

Maybe someone else can help me too.

I deleted my TTIG from V2 and then tried to use it in V3. See picture:

claim ina

I have checked all codes (eui) three times to make sure there were no typing errors.
I then performed a powercycle and unfortunately the TTIG is still disconnected. I have even waited 72 hours and it has not changed. The TTIG blinks green and nothing more.
Maybe you have a tip on how I can proceed.

Could you PM me the EUI of your gateway? I’ll check in the background

I’ve tried to read everything and do it.
i can’t do it.

• ttig bought at rs
  • still fully active in v2 since 12/2019
  • data read out via serial port (signs correct for copypaste)
  • start claiming in according to instructions
  • error message “Gateway with EUI 58A0CBFFFExxxxxx already exists and is not authorized for claiming”
  • cli learned, over “eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884”, login ok, command …claim authorize, error
    “ttn-lw-cli gateways claim authorize 58a0cbfffexxxxxx
    INFO No API Key provided. Creating one
    WARN Finished unary call {“duration”: 0.0603, “error”: “error:pkg/auth/rights:no_gateway_rights (no rights for gateway 58a0cbfffexxxxxx@ttn)”, “error_correlation_id”: “db2eb2a83ba64aae92394bb898b14e53”, “error_name”: “no_gateway_rights”, “error_namespace”: “pkg/auth/rights”, “grpc.method”: “CreateAPIKey”, “grpc.service”: “ttn.lorawan.v3.GatewayAccess”, “grpc_code”: “PermissionDenied”, “namespace”: “grpc”, “request_id”: “991c0285-654c-476d-8621-fc8cfc57c9b5”, “uid”: “58a0cbfffexxxxxx@ttn”}
    error:pkg/auth/rights:no_gateway_rights (no rights for gateway 58a0cbfffexxxxxx@ttn)
    uid=58a0cbfffexxxxxx@ttn
    correlation_id=db2eb2a83ba64aae92394bb898b14e53”

every commands ends with Permission denid
what can i do?

help me please… thx a lot