Creating a map showing sensors in use

Some time ago there was a topic which was aimed at getting a list of publicly available sensor data. Apparently the number was very limited and perhaps the leap was too big. This might also be caused by the fact that technically it’s not that straightforward to just plain share sensor data. There’s no big button with a “Open data for everyone” caption on it. But that does not mean people are not willing to share their data or their sensor design.

So let’s focus on a smaller step; gather a list of sensors with their location, function and owner. Any attempts to share data or perhaps software/hardware designs start with knowing what exists and where it is. Surprisingly no one really seems to know… The goal of this topic is to check enthusiasm and if it’s sufficient we could start doing something with a map presentation. Perhaps something equal to the gateway map would be nice.

To start:
Den Bosch/Netherlands (51.7257811 5.2924497,17) : Temperature using DS18B20.

1 Like

I really love this concept. It would be so awesome if somebody could create a platform that supports this.

As the main TTN team we need to focus on doing what we do great and not diverge in this kind of activities. But still this is awesome and I would highly support this.

Its already been done and has been around for a couple of years now:

https://thingful.net/

Although some of the sensors I’ve checked have not been updated in a long time.

Andrew

2 Likes

Well that’s great to see. But where are the LoRa devices? :smiley:

Well it lokes like they are using some lora stuff: the gateways are displyed on the map. Only via Croft:
https://thingful.net/things/vk29j7n5/

Go add them yourself.

Sure, working on it. But perhaps since the intonation was missing and the forum smiley doesn’t look that friendly my reply may have sounded rather negative. It wasn’t meant like that.

In fact I don’t mind to add everything that pops up in this topic. But it starts with gathering the info, isn’t it? So does anyone have something to share?

It used to be easy enough with the API to get a list of all gateways and their locations, then from this identify nodes communicating with them. But as the backend has now changed, I dont believe this is possible now except for your own data.

…needs a bit more investigation to see if there is an easy way to update thingful.net

Andrew

It does seem to be updating correctly and efficiently afaic.