Current and Upcoming Community Clusters

NOTE: This post is from Feb 3 2021, it may contain some outdated information. Since Feb 2021, we have deployed more clusters than just the one in Europe, and we have released newer versions of The Things Stack since v3.11.

As @johan wrote in The Things Network upgrade to V3, we have deployed our first The Things Network V3 cluster in Europe.

We’re currently finalizing The Things Stack v3.11 that we hope to release later this month. After v3.11 is out, we plan to deploy our next community clusters.

Cluster Picker

When new clusters are added, we’ll announce them here on the forum, and we’ll update our cluster picker.

console.cloud.thethings.network

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 13.09.58

Europe Cluster

Our first cluster in Europe is called eu1 and is deployed in Ireland.

eu1.cloud.thethings.network

North America Cluster (new)

Our first cluster in North America is called nam1 and is deployed in California.

nam1.cloud.thethings.network

Australia Cluster (new)

Our first cluster in Australia is called au1 and is deployed in Sydney.

au1.cloud.thethings.network

Future Clusters

We’re asking the community to indicate their interest in potential future community clusters. This information will help the team decide when and where to deploy additional clusters.

The main motivation for adding additional clusters is to minimize the latency between gateways and the cluster. You can use tools such as AWS Ping Test, AWS latency test and AWS Cloud Ping to measure the latency between you and the datacenters where we would deploy the cluster. Lower is better, but anything under 250 ms doesn’t really matter.

Everyone can indicate interest for max 3 regions.

• North America - Virginia
  • South America - São Paulo
  • Europe - Frankfurt
  • Europe - London
  • Europe - Paris
  • Europe - Milan
  • Europe - Stockholm
  • Middle East - Bahrain
  • Africa - Cape Town
  • Asia - Singapore
  • Asia - Tokyo
  • Asia - Seoul
  • Asia - Mumbai
  • I’m satisfied with the existing (and planned) clusters
0 voters
2 Likes

This is going to be horribly distorted by the geographic region a voter comes from.

Perhaps a Google Form that asks for the continent you are on and then the same options with a maximum of three. Then you can correlate where different continents are voting for.

How about drawing up a chart comparing latency vs. gateways vs. devices.

In certain area there are more gateways and clusters there would make sense in the way of reliability. And in other corners the latency is high.

1 Like

I agree with you @descartes. That will be more helpful.

As some of you apparently already noticed, we updated the top post in this topic with the nam1.cloud.thethings.network and au1.cloud.thethings.network clusters that are now up and running. We’re still verifying that everything works as expected, but you can already start using them if you want.

With all planned clusters deployed, an official announcement should get sent out soon.

We’ve updated the cluster picker at console.cloud.thethings.network to show the new clusters, and they are now also listed on the status page at status.thethings.network.

If you haven’t already, you can indicate your interest in possible future clusters in different geographic regions by voting on the poll in the top post in this topic.

Hopefully not the region closest to where they’re from, but the region closest to where they plan to deploy their gateways/applications, which might be somewhere else. I’m actually more worried that the outcome will be distorted by the fact that this forum is dominated by community members from countries where English is forum users; I can imagine that people who are less comfortable with English will not be very active on this forum, and wouldn’t vote at all. So I agree that it’s not perfect, but it’s still better than nothing.

6 Likes

We seem to be having a issue with the Australia cluster Register end device - V3 Stack - Au1 - Missing Tenant ID error - #9 by ElectronicallyE

1 Like

China owns frequency channels CN470-510, but it doesn’t even have the right to vote. :upside_down_face:

Unfortunately it’s not that easy for us to deploy server infrastructure on the Chinese mainland, but you can still vote for a nearby region such as Hong Kong. Compared to v2, The Things Stack (v3) makes it much easier to use any frequency plan on any of our clusters, so you can even try connecting your CN470-510 gateways to our eu1 cluster.

What AWS resources are needed for a cluster? AWS is spinning up more local zones this year, with limited services initially. I’m in northern New England, US, and Boston is in preview, with NYC being added later this year. I don’t think there would be much difference in latency between what I already have with us-east-1, but it would be interesting to validate that assumption. I’m pretty sure it would be better than west coast, though :slight_smile:

Also, is adding an org on a community cluster supported? I see it available in the UI. If so, are there details to consider documented somewhere?

The truth is out there:

https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/getting-started/aws/

https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/getting-started/installation/

https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/getting-started/user-management/

Thanks, I’ve read these docs. Lots of great information. If the community ice cream is just vanilla, my question is answered.

This is described in the docs, so if you followed the links @descartes posted, this question should already be answered. In case anyone was still wondering, the infrastructure behind The Things Network v3 clusters is described here.

We have no plans to use AWS local zones. The core functionality of The Things Stack – routing LoRaWAN packets – works fine with latencies of 250ms, or even higher when using an RX1 delay of 5 seconds.

offtopic, sorry about that.

@htdvisser and @johan are developers aware that current gateway server version in V3 runs on a snapshot release? I saw it on TTI api since yesterday.
It is running on v3.11.1-SNAPSHOT-3cacc0720

Yep, we fixed a few issues that are becoming part of 3.11.2

Hello, I am a newbie and I am currently using the things network V2. I am planning to mmigrate to V3 however, I don’t know if where cluster I should connect in the available cluster in V3. My question is should I connect to Australia since it is the nearest cluster so far or should I wait for the cluster that will be release soon? I am currently connected in Asia-singapore in V2. Hope someone gives me answer for this. Thank you.