Failed to migrate a Device from v2 to v3

Haven’t looked for it in the documentation. Happen to have a special interest in mp-forwarder (being the author does that :smile:) and because of that I already tested with a private instance of the stack before V3 was released. Have one of my gateways running it on the public V3 now. (The advantage of having 5 gateways on site, you can migrate one without sacrificing applications still on V2)

If you migrate to public V3 you’ll need to specify port 1881 for any connection using server type TTN. Do not add ‘@TTN’ to the serv_gw_id, just use the name. And you will have to create an API key as listed here.

2 Likes

I did not know I was lazzy

By the way, I’ve found that page earlier: that’s clear for the SEMTECH UDP legacy packet forwarder. But I did not find anything about mp-forwader, so here was my question

The Things Kickstarter Gateway, is a gateway, not a protocol, apparently even if supported it is not working with Laird, so what can I conclude ?

But don’t use the Pi install script - it’s a bit rogue - do the commands by hand - works fine then. :roll_eyes:

Opps, my bad. Apologies.

And By-The-Way, sorry to ask lots of question and looking for precise response, But I’m trying to write a blog post as precise as possible and with less bug as possible on this complex topic, while migrating my gateways and trying to understand what is related to my personal setup vs a general case.
That’s not an easy job. So thank you for your help, and basically I hope this will help to reduce the number of question here at the end.

That the Laird gateway used a protocol (gRPC as mentioned by Johan) which is not supported? They have removed it from their recent images because support for the software was terminated by TTN some years ago. Keep in mind Laird did not use mp-forwarder, they used the TTN software written in Go. (Which uses 10 times the CPU required for mp-forwarder)

Only way I know to do that is to:

a. Do it a lot yourself.
b. Give the instructions to someone vaguely competent to try
c. Give the instructions to some vaguely incompetent users.

Then post it and watch the corrections come in.

I’d be happy to do b for you but I suspect some days I’m more a c.

Writing a blog post is excellent, however posting the information on this forum, the primary place where people seek support would be even better. And please mark your older blog posts clearly to tell people the information is out dated. One of the biggest issues with the internet is people finding 4 year old articles and having them assume they’re still up to date,

1 Like

Just to clarify,

1. gRPC is not mp-forwarder ?
  2. if (1) is true, is gRPC supported by ttnV3 ?

No, as:

Ok, thank you that’s clear.

This issue with delayed join requests from v2 gateways to EU v3 is happening again.
In my case, the v2 gateways are connected to switch-router.

v2 gateway timestamp: “timestamp”: “2021-02-28T14:39:25.339Z”,
v3 timestamp: “time”: “2021-02-28T14:49:28.983264102Z”,

1 Like