Failed to migrate a Device from v2 to v3

I’ve made the migration of one of the device. I’ve checked the proposed process and I’m basically compliant. But once the device is in v3, I did not joined (try about 5 times) when it was ok at the first time when back in v2.
The gateway is in v2, same gateway, same place for both test (just had to reset the device. Here are the gateway data dumps:
Once the device is in v3: no Join Accept from network server
Capture d’écran 2021-02-08 à 21.32.41
Once back in v2: join accept received from network server
Capture d’écran 2021-02-08 à 21.34.45
I’ve checked the credentials in v3, they are the same.

Strangely, I see in console v3 processing for this join … but about 10 minutes later ?!?
Capture d’écran 2021-02-08 à 21.46.46

What could I have missed ?
Paul

What exactly do you mean with

Do you mean ‘when back to the V2 console’ or have you made any changes to the device settings ‘going forth and back’?

Do you currently have the device defined in both V3 and V2 with same keys? If so the device will estalish a session with V2 because of the V2 gateway (traffic routed from V2 to V3 over packetbroker will be slower so V2 will probably send a join accept sooner).

If so, you will first have to prevent the device joining to V2.
Tips for how to do that can be found here: see part Preventing V2 Joins.

Step 1 : I’ve configured my device in V3 (with the same keys)
Step 2 : I’ve changed my device ID in v2 to ensure it won’t be able to connect
Step3 : I’ve restarted my device to Join in v3
Step4 : my device is not joining
Step5 : I’ve changed back my device ID in v2
Step 6: I’ve restarted my device to Join in v2
Step 7 : my device is joining in v2
Step 8 : I saw trace in v7 with a Reception on join-request but it is timestamped at 21:45 when the step 3 was at 21:33

1 Like

I have not ran into this myself with the few tests I have performed.

Just asking: have you verified that you copied the keys exactly (probably so, but you never know).

As alternative you could try the tip suggested by @htdvisser : leave all keys the same, except change the AppKey in the V2 console. (But this actually should not make a difference with changing the DevEUI).

Have you tried to migrate with ttnctl?

Yes i’ve checked the credential and regarding the delayed log in the v3, the join request has been accepted.
No I did not used ttncl, I’ve done the operation manually, it is supposed to work.
I’ve switched to v3 once again. I still not able to connect, I’ll let it retry tonight …

Can you show the V3 console log for the device as it tries to join, the V3 live data is far more detailed and will show backend packet forwarding etc

You have it as a screen copy on top message. It’s the only time I have been able to see something in the log. Will try again and add it here

the issue is the timing … 14 minutes late.
And i just got it one time but the device is retrying. So it is strange

1 Like

I made many tries:
As soon as I reactivate the device in V2 it connects in v2. But I never been connected in v3. I never had another log like the one I copy/pasted in the initial problem description.
I’ve tried to switch device to abp, modify the App Key without success.
Does anyone made working migration test ?

Are the gateways your device uses connected to the European V2 backend?

Yes they are.
Router : ttn-router-eu

Are the device parameter in V3 ok?

LoRavan Version
Network Layer settings?

E_T

That is really weird. Can you try this again?

What is the V2 clusters that you are using? I.e. V2 eu?

1 Like

yes this is V2 eu,
I’ve just made a restart. Now the device is trying to connect on v3 on regular basis if you want to make some trace.

Do you see the join-requests in The Things Network V3 Console, immediately? Do you also see that downlink gets scheduled successfully? Successfully scheduled join-accept for transmission, that is.

Do you have access to the gateway logs?

1 Like

I’ve been seeing the same tonight

I have the same issue. Not seeing any downlinks on the V2 Gateway - join accept downlink

Are you looking at the V2 TTN console? There will not be a listing of any downlinks scheduled by V3 in the TTN V2 console, they take a different path to the gateway. You need to look at the gateway log to check if there is any downlink activity.

1 Like

Blockquote
Do you see the join-requests in The Things Network V3 Console, immediately? Do you also see that downlink gets scheduled successfully? Successfully scheduled join-accept for transmission, that is.

No I don’t see it. I just got the log posted on top. But I got it one time only in my multiples test.

Blockquote
Do you have access to the gateway logs?

Via the TTNv2 gateway logs (the one copy pasted on top). Basically there is no join accept request.