Gps tracker

btw solutions which based on the Lora P2P connection they have the same transmission time limitations as for LoraWAN?

The legal restrictions are those that apply in your country, and are the same for LoRaWAN and P2P LoRa. LoRaWAN is at its basics P2P LoRa in any case.

In most of Europe, duty cycles are 1% @ 868Mhz and 10% @ 434Mhz, but you do need to check the actual restrictions for your particular country, there could be differences.

Thank you all for your comments

Equally off topic for this forum, to re-iterate, this is funded by TTI for discussions about LoRaWAN on their platform.

Hello guys.
I hope you all doing well. I am a new member here in LoraWAN world so please be patient with me.
I’m an IT engineer from Algeria and I had discovered LoraWAN just in the last week because I’m working on project about tracking animals specially cows. I’ve saw many solutions and I really like how people developed their ideas in real life. So, I do have some couple of questions, and I hope you may answer them.
Q1: Is loraWAN available in Algeria?
Q2: Should I have internet connection or there is a way to do it without the internet?
Q3: What are the materials needed for this project in details please with the cost of each material?
Q4: What is the distance of the detection?
Q5: What you recommend as a software and app for such a project?

Before going any further with this as a TTN project, you need to be sure its a good fit for TTN.

When you say ‘tracking’ what exactly do you mean, GPS location ?

And if GPS location; is it acceptable that you only get a tracking update from each animal once per hour, or do you need tracking updates more often ?

1 Like

Actually, I think TTN will be a suitable solution for my project especially when there are some similar examples such as Moovement and what I meant by tracking. I mean GPS location with tracking update every 15 min or less and I wish if there is a way to get live tracking.

Will be a great benefit for you to read the documentation a bit

The first video you see will already help you.

1 Like

Only if you can guarantee the use of lower SF’s, this in turn implies multiple GW’s in reasonably close proximity to the animals and/or also efficient LoRa antenna use as many trackers especially the smaller kind e.g. for tags etc are not rated for full 2/3.1db gain and often come in <<0dbi reducing effective range and efficasy thereby triggering higher SF’s, which then limits potential update rate as mentioned above - you will need to consider using fixed or limited set of SF’s and e.g. ADR isnt recommended for moving nodes…

Sounds like you have a LOT of background work to do to start to ask reasonable and targeted questions - reading documentation and watching video’s etc. LoRaWAN has many complex and moving parts and your questions so far are far too wide and open to be addresses sensibly on the forum… good luck with your investigations, we all look forward to stepping back in and helping answer specifics once your have narrowed the field, both in terms of the technology and implementations and subsequently in terms of specific products for consideration.

1 Like

We are all volunteers answering questions so you will need to do a lot of the work yourself or, if you don’t want to, hire someone to do the work for you. Don’t expect us to perform a free consulting job for you.

1 Like

Please appreciate that the forum cannot know what you mean by that.

You appear to want something called ‘live tracking’ but you need to explain, and exactly, what ‘live tracking’ is.

I would disagree.

You would only stay within the fair useage limits of the free to use TTN, in limited circumstances.

Read the early part of the thread you commented on; to stay within fair useage limits, you need to plan for a location update of once every 60 minutes, you appear to want updates far more often than that.

1 Like

Thank you so much for answering my questions even if they sound silly somehow but I just want to let you know that in my country there is no body who knows such a thing called LoraWAN even the devices aren’t available. This why I thought I should learn more before buying the devices.
Thank you again :pray:

That is normal.

There is for instance no mention of LoRa or LoRaWAN in the guidance to the regulations for the UK. But the guidance does say how the radio spectrum can be used.

1 Like

Its for you to do your own due diligence but this may be a help:

Note EU433 is quite uncommon in the context of TTN… AS923-3 on the other hand…

1 Like

Read the doc, look at some of the videos and read here on the forum. If you got some background knowledge, some understanding and a bit of insight, there are quit a few that will jump in and help, but you need to bring your part.

If you want to buy devices, search on the forum first and read a lot. Then you are going to need to take the dive an buy a gateway and a few devices. That is the only way. As I said, show research and the guys will help.

Where is this?

Radio waves know no boundaries and you get to read the same learning materials that everyone else has access to - so don’t worry that you haven’t found someone using LoRaWAN close to hand.

1 Like

You are not alone! Indeed there is atleast some interest even if not yet a GW that is evident:

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/country/algeria/

Algeria