Help to connect a rpi+rak2247 gateway to TTN

Hi there -

I am trying to connect my RPI 3b RAK2245 gateway to TTN.
But I cant get the gateway to connect. I suspect that it is
because it is configured to use the old V2 api.
If that is the caseI do not know what to do.
But being a noob in the LoRaWAN universe, so I am asking for some help.

Here’s the symptoms and my configurations:

On TTN
2021-08-12_22-29

On the gateways config
2021-08-12_22-31

** The gateways status page**
2021-08-12_22-38

The gateways log
2021-08-12_22-33

Please be gentle my first post in the forum.

cheers
Michael

Welcome, Michael! Hopefully we can help get you connected. Once you’ve configured your gateway in the Console, there should be a button to Download the global_conf.json file, which makes it easier to configure your gateway settings, because you install/copy it onto the gateway so it knows how to connect.

If your configuration is like mine, you copy the file to /opt/ttn-gateway/packet_forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd/global_conf.json and reboot the gateway. Are you familiar with Linux command-line work (copying files or whatever), or can you upload the configuration through the web interface?

Can you also provide a little more info about how you set up your gateway (a link to a quickstart guide or something similar)? That would help us figure out what your setup looks like.

Cheers!

P.S. Also take a look at this post and see if you are running older firmware:

You’ve described your gateways as “private” in the description box, but there is no such thing.

All gateways on TTN are for public, shared use.

Hi @cslorabox

thanks for helping out.

Yeah you are right the gateway is not private as in no access.
I’ve changed the description a little.

br Michael

Hi @constellationlabs

thanks for helping out.

I have used this quickstart guide

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/pisupply-hat/

I haven’t found a way to access the gateway via ssh yet. Port 22 is closed, so I guess the service is not running on the pi. Thats one of the downsides of using an image.

I think the problem might be that the gateway is trying to access the v2 protocol. I get this from the gateways logfile.

iot-lora-gateway-reset.sh[449]: PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://account.thethingsnetwork.org/api/v2/gateways/8262001D20301672): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
iot-lora-gateway-reset.sh[449]:  in /var/www/iotloragateway/html/updatePacketfwd.php on line 114
iot-lora-gateway-reset.sh[449]: PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Filename cannot be empty in /var/www/iotloragateway/html/updatePacketfwd.php on line 115

cheers
Michael

Put the uSD card in a pc, open and in top directory create a new text file save empty and called ssh, save then go in and edit name and delete the .txt portion leaving ssh, come out saving and ignoring any warning about changing extension…that will enable ssh…plug uSD back in Pi power up and bobs your mothers brother…

1 Like