Heltec CubeCell - part 2

Looking at the linked conversation:

Hi @Heltec-Aaron-Lee these defs need to move to use RP001-1.0.2-RevB rather than RP001-1.0.2 inside them – using RevA means OTAA doesn’t work (at least for AU915 OTAA). It’s quite frustrating to debug that, works first time when moved to RevB.

@hunter8801 I think that the request is:

Change “RP001-1.0.2” to “RP001-1.0.2-RevB” in the existing device definitions.
The existing device definitions need to be updated.

@bwooce English is not Heltec-Aaron-Lee 's and @hunter8801’s native language. It helps to clearly express in more simple English language what you try to communicate.

1 Like

They need to be careful this request does not break other regions as this was a region specific request.

Thank you for info us, we will handle that this week. We are still on a national holiday. :grinning:

Fair point thanks @bluejedi , and thanks for restating it more clearly. Yes I don’t know @jezd if the other regions are negatively impacted, but the stated (main github page) target is 1.0.2 RevB for all regions.

Enjoy your holiday @hunter8801 !

I wish… with the 3.6V Lith Cell I can’t get below 400uA.
Also Vext seems to have an issue switching off, it rather lingers around 1.6V.

Are we talking about the same Heltec board, the AB02A 1/2AA board, we’ve got a dozen of them all sleeping at around 3ua, the odd one does max at 7ua in sleep and I’m not sure why there is this slight variation but its minor. All are fully loaded with 3 separate I2C sensors and each are switched off prior going to sleep via VEXT.

Yep, HTCC-AB02A V1.0

Now I understand that sleep current consumption is higher when running off the 3.6V battery.

If I recall right it should be around 11uA sleep current when running from battery. When power comes over 3.3V Vcc it is 3.5uA sleep consumption.

What development environment are you using ?

To give you hope, here is the current profile with two quick transmits - note the sleep current and the two peak transmits followed by the two receive windows - want me to share code with you?

That is based on the power supply connection direct to the battery holder tags too.

Screenshot_20210505T160310.585

2 Likes

Hello!
Im trying to use my CubeCell but when sending I only get this:
payload length error ...

Im using this example:

Im using PlatformIO, ABP, and the only things I changed in the code (except keys) was:
LoRaMacRegion_t loraWanRegion = LORAMAC_REGION_EU868;
bool overTheAirActivation = false;

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

EDIT:
Ok I solved it, had to set “board_build.arduino.lorawan.region = EU868” in the platform.ini file instead of changing it in the .ino file…

BTW. What’s the test instrument model? :wink:

I’m using a Rohde & Schwarz NGM202 power supply

This is updated on github. Thanks @hunter8801

Hi All,

I have been working on a CubeCell AB-01 for a couple of days to make it into a TTN node. I just want to get one of the example sketches on it to run. I started with the Cayenne LPP sketch and added the modifications suggested by bwooce but kept getting an error right at the end of the upload process. I just tried this sketch to see if it was an issue with the Cayenne sketch.

And am getting the same result.
The message is short

Sketch uses 78032 bytes (59%) of program storage space. Maximum is 131072 bytes. Initialising bootloader. Unhandled error: The data is not of the proper form . Just wondering if anyone else has encountered it. I know the trick to get the bootloader active at power up BTW.
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Update on my previous post. Turned out I caused a problem by connecting a Beitian 220 active GPS antenna to the Tx-Rx ports :neutral_face: This was causing the error when attempting an upload. Once I disconnected it, all was good. Heltec told me that the board only has one serial connection and that’s it. If I want to use the Beitian I will have to use the SoftSerial library.

1 Like

The ASR6501 based AB01 board unfortunately has its limitations like single UART.

The ASR6502 based AB02x boards have two UARTS.

For a brief comparison between ASR6501 and ASR6502 see: Heltec CubeCell - part 1 - #117 by Linar

1 Like

I’m currently testing the same 5V solar panel for my Cubecell AB01 based Sensor. Currently I use a 500mAh Lithium battery, but I want to switch to a 2500 mAh version (Samsung INR 18650).
Does anybody know, if the Cubecell board can work with LiFePO batteries? It’s very hot on my balcony in summer and I want to avoid problems with the battery.

imho the CubeCell AB01 can not be used with LiFePO-batteries. The charging circuit:

has a fixed switch off voltage of 4.2V which may be to much for a LiFePO (3.7V).

1 Like

That makes sense, thank you.

The Samsung battery you are proposing are LiPo and suited to the charging profile of the board

Hello all,
I’m just trying to understand Mosfets, but one thing I do not quite understand. I hope maybe someone here can help me. The ADC of the Dev Board, to measure the voltage, is connected to an AO7801 p-Mosfet. But the Lipo voltage could be 4.2V while the gate is switched with 3.3v. So the mosfet does not close at this point? Am I missing something? According to the data sheet of the AO7801 the VGS(th) is starting at -0.5v. So the GPIO must be able to output at least 3.7V.