How strict and how quick is the TTN Fair Use Policy enforced?

Hello everyone,
I wonder how, how strict and how quick the of 30 sec airtime FuP of TTN community is enforced.

Specifically, I am concerned with the case that I would like to demonstrate a LoRa solution at an exhibition, for which the shortest possible uplink interval, say 1 minute, would be best so that visitors can see changes quickly on the online dashboard.

In this way, however, we would use up the 30 seconds of airtime quite quickly.

Question 1)
What are the penalties for exceeding 30 sec airtime. Is that a simple blocking of the end device?
If so, how long will the blocking last? If blocked, will the block automatically removed, or does the user have to do something here?

Question 2)
If the exhibition only lasts one day, do I have to expect that the end device will be blocked immediately when 30 sec are exceeded or somehow on the same day of the exhibition? What is the expected time lag here?
Or is TTN more flexible and tolerates exceedance on a single day, e.g. if the device does not transmit at all in the period before and after the day with exceeded FuP airtime?

Thank you and best regards,
Michael

To disclose the parameters of the FUP implementation invites too much potential for the gamification of what is already a throughly abused system.

Suffice to say I’m aware that once a graph on the dashboard indicates that someone or something is causing a problem to the shared community resource that we get for free, if the problem is large enough & you don’t respond to polite enquiries fast enough, consideration of termination of the entire account is made.

And if it’s at an exhibition, there is a reasonable conclusion that this is commercial use, so I’m sure @risk1 would like to talk to you about the TTI offering. And you shouldn’t have even thought about asking this question.

Just register for a Discovery instance on TTI - it’s free for 1 gateway & 10 devices and is not subject to the FUP.

1 Like

I understand from @plantstalk that they are showing university academics how they could use TTN for data collection which would come under the heading of community use.

Regardless of that clarification in mind, the FUP still stands. However other options have been discussed that would keep within the spirit of the policy, even if it ends up walking very close to the line. The most obvious one is to have three or four devices running at longer intervals, the second option is to use push-to-send, the third is to swap out the device every few hours for a fresh one.

And there is still the option of a Discovery instance.