How to connect Utrecht E&A exhibition KISS LoRa to TTN?

how did you managed to remove the RN2483 module (and get it in place again)
I quess it can’t be done with my aged soldering station :))

I don’t see any marks on the capacitors, so i assume you measured the capacity

I used a hot air soldering station, spent some time pre-heating the entire board, and then I focus all the head around the LoRa module. Usually the shield comes off first, so I take it off carefully. Then I can focus the heat on the PCB of the LoRa module, and take that off.

I think you can re-solder the same LoRa module, but I usually grab a new module because you have to use quite a lot of heat to get the thing off…

I didn’t measure the capacitors, I just swapped them to see if it made a big difference, and it did :wink: Measuring capacitors that small is nearly impossible…

Maybe something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQda5iibZos, but if you are in for a real challenge, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlSY1uaw0GA But indeed I love to hear how it was done in this case. I guess SODAQ has some nice equipment for it we don’t have all at home (still working with this :laughing:)

It’s just a simple hot air soldering station, you can pick one up for like ~80 bucks :slight_smile:

Hi All,

For what it is worth.

For a week the gadget worked fine. Last wednsday night the onboard accu did run empty.
During thirsdat evening I had time to charche the accu again.
The gadget restarted and did not made any connection anymore to the accespont.
The following happens when I switch the gadget on (rotery on 0) the bottob led blink 10 times then turns gree/orange for 10 sec and goes off. the iot blue led blinksevery 25 sec or so short.
Today I hookup the gadget to a terminal and only saw

Sending: mac join otaa
Response is not OK: no_free_ch
Send join command failed
Sending: mac join otaa
Response is not OK: no_free_ch
Send join command failed

Tryed to reset it a few times no luck.

Did a fresh upload froim the arduino scetch ( with the modded keys).

Did a commisioning=> this went well.
Applications > kiss-lora-hw-geitz > Devices > kiss-lora-device-xxx > Settings I copied the keys from the scetch. and the gadget start working again.

The gadget was out of power for 18 hours or so…

Hello everybody,

I posted a problem under the topic “single channel gateway” but after reading this topic I think it would be better posted here (because it seems to be a KISS LoRa problem). So I post a link to it: Single Channel Gateway part 2

Thank you
Hans

May be Murphy :wink:

Hi everybody,

Maybe I 'm one of the lucky guys. My E&A Kiss Lora gadget is functioning from the beginning. I haven’t changed anything in the device. The position/surounding of the gadget for a good operation is critical.
Below some last results:

1 Like

After studying the doc’s of ProAnt I decided to turn my Kiss LoRa gadget from the Vo-plane to the V90-plane. The performance is changed, specially the snr for the two connected gateways. See the screenshot of the TTN-console. Also there are not many packetlosses anymore.

1 Like

Hi Jaap,

Thanks for the suggestion :+1:, I guess the documentation you talk about is here, and then especially the “Application note 868 (PDF)”?

Swithing form V0 to V90 plane means positioning the KISS-Lora gadget “upright” with the bottom of the cloud “on the floor”? So the cardboard stand that was delivered is not only provided to make the KISS LoRa look nice? :blush:

Placing the KISS gadget flat on a table should provide the best omnidirectional radiation pattern. You can see that when the board is flat, the gain pattern on the horizontal plane is omnidirectional. I do have to say, the datasheet is a really non-standard way of showing the radiation pattern… Including a 3D gain pattern would already help a lot. But the PROANT-868 is basically an inverted-F antenna above a ground plane, and vertically polarized when the PCB is placed on a table for example. Correct me if I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

That would be the orientation corresponding to the H-plane graph in chapter 7 of the Application note 868 ? I was just trying to interpret the suggestion that @JBraam made, but looking at the graphs It seems that the “H-plane position” should be best indeed. So hope Jaap can shed some light on his decision and observations. :slight_smile:

Hi,

The KissLoRa hangs on a solar powered lamp.Picture 1: V0-plane, pcture 2: V90 plane.
Because I wanted some gain in the direction of “The Kadaster-gateway”.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Indeed I used: Application note 868 (PDF)".

Now the gadget works ok, I’ll look at the software.

treid several times during about half anb hour at distance of 300-600 m with antanne on the building in sight.
but with the still unmodified device no success.

Hoi Jelle,

Maybe your device is defect? At the moment my device has sometimes connection with “The Meehn-gateway”, due to the bad radiolink.

So many datapackets are lost;

But there is no connection with "The Kadaster-gateway anymore?
What is happening there?

Thx for yor reply.
Devies could be defect, but i don.t think so.

A week ago it worked for about two days without losing packets at rssi - 117.
After that only messages in terminal screen " Join failed".

Took gadget and pc to neighbourhood of the Mheen and Kadster, but no packets arrived. Also not after resetting.

Keys are ok.

So it could be broken but still i do suspect the gateways.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Events in The Netherlands

just tried again at home
in console/device : reset frame counters

reset kiss lora and almost immediatly join was accepted (study room at home)
see screenshot
Signal received bij gateway de Mheen
frames: 0, 2, 3 and then kiss lora keeps sending ( blue light and terminal screen, but nothing in my console)
So i keep hoping .
I do not have any idea what could be wrong.

“time”: “2017-06-21T12:26:05.910675984Z”,
“frequency”: 867.3,
“modulation”: “LORA”,
“data_rate”: “SF8BW125”,
“coding_rate”: “4/5”,
“gateways”: [
{
“gtw_id”: “eui-0031552048001a03”,
“timestamp”: 3348826692,
“time”: “2017-06-21T12:26:04.818055Z”,
“channel”: 4,
“rssi”: -107,
“snr”: 7,
“latitude”: 52.22202,
“longitude”: 5.993231,
“altitude”: 65
}
],
“latitude”: 52.216347,
“longitude”: 5.9813824,
“altitude”: 16
}
Estimated Airtime
102.912 ms

When my device is in operating mode the USB connection is only used for powering up by an USB-power unit. Keeping a “terminal” connected via USB to the device may have some side effect.

Last week I went to the gateway de Mheen: with the antenna on the building in sight is moved at a distance of 200,300, and 500 m in direction North and South, but no join accepted. (waited at each point about 5 minutes.)
a day later I noticed that with the device in my study a join was accepted (gateway the Mheen) but after 200 transmssion no more received messages. After two days device restarted but no succes past few days (with and without terminal connected)
next week I’ll try with 8.6 cm antenna
It is without better data and equipment difficult to troubleshoot .
-software and hardware seems ok
that leaves either antenna problem or gateway problem…