How to register ZENNER EASY PROTECT smoke detector to TTN

Has somebody already registered this smoke detector to the TTN and could give me some guideline or hints how to accomplish this?

I got following keys from the vendor:

LoRaDevEU: 04b6480cXXXXXXXX
LoRa Join EUI: 04b648XXXXXXX
LoRa AppKey: F3BD9CAF50A302XXXXXXXXXXXXX
OTAA registration

After turning the device on it should register. I entered only the LoRaDevEU at the TTN console. But the smoke detector does not connect and I don’t see any packets in my gateway (edit start) when I look to the TTN console (edit end).

1 Like

Keep us updated, pls. Thx!
Are you sure, Zenner will allow this - registering out of their platform?

Follow this: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/devices/registration.html

Hi @bluesensing1,

I have read your article about the smoke detector and tried to contact you via the TTN web contact page which did not work. I hoped you would know how to set up the device with TTN.

Now I’m glad you’re are reading my post here but from your first response I assume the the keys I got are for the Zenner platform and I need to talk directly to Zenner to find out how to register the detector with TTN.

1 Like

Usable keys or not, if the frequency and air parameters match you should be seeing raw packets at the gateway with signal strength etc plausibly belonging to this. If you are not, it suggests that there is a mismatch there that needs to be overcome first.

1 Like

Correct. Let us know the ZENNER MINOL answer.

Thx.

If the manufacturer sells this with their own network, and does not officially support other configurations, then beware:

If you register this on TTN, then you need to make sure that only TTN gateways receive the join request, or that the device is no longer registered on any other network. If the vendor’s gateways also receive the OTAA Join Request, then both networks might transmit a Join Accept. When that happens, the device might handle none, or might handle the wrong one.

The name “JoinEUI” suggests this is a 1.1 device. That should be able to connect to a 1.0.2 server just fine (using the JoinEUI for the AppEUI), assuming its firmware is compliant (to recognize the 1.0.2 response), assuming it does not require specific 1.1 functionality, and assuming it only needs Class A. The TTN Community network is using 1.0.2 and only supports Class A.

If the device needs specific 1.1 functionality, then you’ll need to run your own TTN V3 stack (or use TTI’s commercial offering). But as a 1.1 JoinEUI should/might have been registered in the LoRa Alliance’s joineuis.lora-alliance.org DNS, you might also need to make them change that entry.

Also, as soon as the TTN Community network supports 1.1 in the future, a new OTAA join will use the 1.1 join procedure. I’d assume that if TTN knows the JoinEUI in its own network that it will not use the join server DNS resolution. But if it does, then this might suddenly throw you back to the manufacturer’s join server?

1 Like

Thank you very much Arjan for this elaborate answer!

Unfortunately I haven’t looked into the new TTN V3 stack, yet.

The device is sitting right next to my TTN gateway and a ZENNER gateway is about 25 km far away.
Furthermore, at the first power on of the device it tries for a period of 20 mins to join a network which is indicated by a yellow blinking LED. After 20 mins the LED went off and from now on the device tries every day one time at a random time to connect via OTAA .
Therefore I assume that it is very unlikely that it could have reached the ZENNER gateway.

TTN’s console generates the AppEUI during registration. In so far I don’t understand your remark “(using the JoinEUI for the AppEUI)” since I cannot change the AppEUI in the console. Could you please explain that to me a bit further?

Thanks

You can change the DevEUI, AppEUI and AppKey in whatever you like; see Registration of node with pre-configured LoRaWAN keys. When adding an AppEUI to the application, use the value you got for the JoinEUI.

I have set the keys according to your instructions. Now I have to wait until the smoke detector will try again to join. I hope I don’t need to wait for 24 hours :wink:

1 Like

Maybe one can speed up things if one can take out the battery for a while? But then, patience is a virtue. :slight_smile:

Beware that being too close might cause cross talk, which might cause the gateway to receive a single OTAA Join Request on multiple frequencies, which may cause TTN to choose the wrong one for the OTAA Join Accept, on which the device won’t be listening. So, many say to keep at least a few meters distance between devices and gateways.

I think you cannot remove battery… lasting 10 yrs

Did anybody has success connecting ZENNER EASY PROTECT to TTN?

I get the same problem - Sensor does not connect to my TTN Application…

Thanks for your help

1 Like

In the meantime I had success. To be honest, I am still figuring out why.
Even though my self build gateway with a Raspberry Pi and a Sandbox Electronics LoRaGo PORT did receive packets from other devices, it did not receive the smoke detector. After I have given the smoke detector to a friend with a gateway from Laird it showed suddenly up.
In the next days I will get the smoke detector back and will test if there is a problem with my gateway.

Great, to hear from you… thanks for your reply.
Could you please give me more informations about how to set up the ZENNER in TTN, wondering about the ZENNER’s JoinEUI parameter (wich I can not set in my TTN environment)… any screenshot helps. :)))))

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.