Imposible to get Data from LSE01

And do appreciate the LG01 is not a Gateway in the LoRaWAN sense, its basically just a LoRa node.

I understand. My problem is LPS8N is getting turned off in between a lot causing loss of data for as much as a day (wifi problem maybe). That’s why the solution I was thinking of is locally storing data before sending it to TTN.

That does not sound like a practical solution. If you have problems with the LPS8N, then best to direct attention at solving that.

Storing sensor data locally and sending it when and if a Gateway is available, runs the very significant risk of breaking the legal duty cycle restrictions and the fair useage policy. How for instance would the nodes be configured\programmed to somehow know that the gateway was having problems ?

But that will still cause loss of data right?

Are the gateway turned off or are your internet connection getting turned off?

If this is the problem I will suggest you address those issues, then you will not create new ones as how to store data locally and how to send this stored data to the back end.

In any case if you have managed to store this data locally, you should not need to send it via TTN to your back end, you can just send it straight to your backend.

What do you mean by ‘loss of data’ ?

As mentioned before with LoRaWAN you need to allow for data loss anyway. Up to 25% loss. If your application can’t tolerate that you’re using the wrong technology.

Yeah I understand, but I am losing more than 50% of the data.

Where in the signal chain? Failing at RF? (Is GW seeing the traffic?) lost in Transit? (not getting to GW console page/application?

as Johan asks

You might understand …

But, it might help the forum to help you if you explained which data you are losing, and in particular how you know it is ‘more than 50%’

Are you monitoring the FCount’s or timestamps and see the >50%… as above do you know where the loss is happening?

We can’t give you help unless you answer this.

Gents,

It looks like we are spinning our wheels here:

• The system works when it’s all powered up
  • It’s not totally clear if the gateway power or the WiFi is turned off, or both
  • It doesn’t matter which, that’s not a technical problem we can solve
  • This is a student project - the OP could potentially relocate the kit to somewhere more reliable

As we are now on post #53 and about 1 month on, I think the ball is in @morse’s court to do something tangible that moves things forward.

@morse, if you were @kersing you could change the gateway to save ABP based uplinks and decode them offline. That’s because Jac wrote one of the most widely used gateway code. Most of the rest of us would struggle and we’ve been using LoRaWAN a fair bit. Please consider that it is not feasible for us to help you save anything on an LPS8 gateway as first, it doesn’t have the facilities to easily change the code and second, simple questions come back with unclear answers. Find a more reliable power/WiFi place for your gateway, job done.

Thanks everyone in this thread.

What I am doing?

1. I have one LSE01 sensor and LPS8N gateway. They are not very close to each other, they are more than 100 meters away from each other.
  2. I am using storage integration to fetch data from TTN.
  3. My wifi connection is not strong enough and it is getting turned off in between, this is one of the reason of me losing data.
  4. Another reason I do not understand is, see I am supposed to get packet per 20 minutes right. As storage integration stores packet for 24 hours, so for a curl request I should get around 72 packets. Currently I received only 6 for last 24 hours. This is how I said I am losing more than 20 packets.
  5. I feel like problem is distance as I am getting uplinks from gateway but I am not getting data packets for those timestamps.

What I am going to try:
Moving gateway closer to the sensor.

This is my update. Sorry for all the trouble.

You are conflating problems….ignore storage integration at this point….it can only store messages that are valid and have been received in the back end….if you only see say 6 in 24 on main system, you can only ever see 6 in SI! It can’t magic up missed data….

That is your problem…… solve that so you have a solid stream of data going through to the LNS (& thence to SI as a back up if needed)

Nick summed it up perfectly above.

It’s clear that the issue is not about range but is:

• About the WiFi not being “strong enough” and being turned off.
  • Your ability to ignore this and try and fix the problem by some other means - which is never going to work.

The simple solution is to buy a MiFi - a small WiFi router with a SIM card. Or move the gateway closer to the WiFi.

The rest of us know that if a device is transmitting and gateways are hearing those transmissions and are on the internet, the reality is that we often get >95% of uplinks.

4 posts were split to a new topic: LG01P connectivity issues