Join request received by gateway but not on console

Hi.

Gateway console shows received uplink join messages, I can successfully decode message payload using AppKey so all keys seem to be setup correctly on the node.
The application console doesn’t show any received messages.
What am I doing wrong?
I’m using lnlp/LMIC-node on ttgo lora32.

https://lorawan-packet-decoder-0ta6puiniaut.runkit.sh/?data=ADf69eR6pbNgoPoF0H7Vs3B4qUGhhPo%3D&nwkskey=&appskey=16CB64E9E35A04E6F33B7BE137FFE020
Screen Shot 07-19-23 at 05.55 PM

Screen Shot 07-19-23 at 05.22 PM

You are not showing the frequencies used for the joins. For EU868 one of the frequencies 868.1, 868.3 or 868.5 MHz should be used. Is the gateway receiving the joins on those frequencies according to the console?

I think the application live data view in the console should show something about the result of the join request with the join server, you may need to enable ‘verbose stream’ for that.

Received frequency: 868,099,975
The whole “Receive uplink message” event details:

{
  "name": "gs.up.receive",
  "time": "2023-07-19T20:08:46.806146924Z",
  "identifiers": [
    {
      "gateway_ids": {
        "gateway_id": "eui-removedForPersonalReasons",
        "eui": "removedForPersonalReasons"
      }
    }
  ],
  "data": {
    "@type": "type.googleapis.com/ttn.lorawan.v3.GatewayUplinkMessage",
    "message": {
      "raw_payload": "ADf69eR6pbNgoPoF0H7Vs3BYqgfRfZk=",
      "payload": {
        "m_hdr": {},
        "mic": "B9F9mQ==",
        "join_request_payload": {
          "join_eui": "60B3A57AE4F5FA37",
          "dev_eui": "70B3D57ED005FAA0",
          "dev_nonce": "AA58"
        }
      },
      "settings": {
        "data_rate": {
          "lora": {
            "bandwidth": 125000,
            "spreading_factor": 7,
            "coding_rate": "4/5"
          }
        },
        "frequency": "868099975",
        "timestamp": 4144125644
      },
      "rx_metadata": [
        {
          "gateway_ids": {
            "gateway_id": "eui-removedForPersonalReasons",
            "eui": "removedForPersonalReasons"
          },
          "timestamp": 4144125644,
          "rssi": -42,
          "channel_rssi": -42,
          "snr": 9,
          "uplink_token": "CiIKIAoUZXVpLWQ0ZDRkYWZmZmY5ZDVlMjgSCNTU2v//nV4oEMytibgPGgwIzoXhpQYQyOWlgAMg4JmMic7jBw==",
          "received_at": "2023-07-19T20:08:46.805925576Z"
        }
      ],
      "received_at": "2023-07-19T20:08:46.805925576Z",
      "correlation_ids": [
        "gs:conn:01H5PVH28FTQJD75DN1ZFC9QYP",
        "gs:uplink:01H5QW9XYP21H0CWDCZEP44711"
      ],
      "crc_status": true
    },
    "band_id": "EU_863_870"
  },
  "correlation_ids": [
    "gs:conn:01H5PVH28FTQJD75DN1ZFC9QYP",
    "gs:uplink:01H5QW9XYP21H0CWDCZEP44711"
  ],
  "origin": "ip-10-100-13-43.eu-west-1.compute.internal",
  "context": {
    "tenant-id": "CgN0dG4="
  },
  "visibility": {
    "rights": [
      "RIGHT_GATEWAY_TRAFFIC_READ"
    ]
  },
  "unique_id": "01H5QW9XYP2V8KSTWRRMQBDHY4"
}

After receiving multiple join packets this is what the consoles look like, after 18 packets application and device consoles are still empty:

Screen Shot 07-19-23 at 10.06 PM 001
Screen Shot 07-19-23 at 10.06 PM

You are probably using a single channel packet forwarder and not a LoRaWAN compatible gateway. LoRaWAN with TTN only works with a 8 channel LoRaWAN compliant gateway.

Yes I am using single channel gateway, I know about limitations of this approach, but the packet is received, how does TTN know it’s single channel, why doesn’t it go through?

TTN knows and because single channels packet forwarders disrupt service for other users they should not be used. Please disconnect it from TTN now!

Disrupt what other users? I’m in the city of 300k population and there is one gateway far away from me :slight_smile:
You should put some big red disclaimer somewhere that for the LoraWan to work you need to get 100$ to 300$ gateway and you won’t get around it. I tried to make a simple mail box notifier like that “guy with a swiss accent”, but it looks like I will have to pass, not worth it. Thanks for your time.

For LoRaWAN you need a LoRaWAN compliant gateway. For Europe that means the gateway has to be able to receive at 8 frequencies and 6 spreading factors simulatiously. Your single channel gadget does not meet those requirements so it does not work for LoRaWAN.

You can use plain Lora for your mailbox notifier, just send a signal from one module to the other. No need for an expensive gateway. However plain Lora is out of scope for this forum.

It seems that TTN used to be more open for DIYers, there is a way to integrate single channel gateways, but there is no money incentive there apparently.

If somebody had similar needs and problems as me and stumbles on this thread, this looks promising as an alternative:

Single channel gateways are not Lorawan compliant or TTN compliant, single channel gateways are not capable of supporting basic needs - ie 8 channels, your are not operating in your own bubble, think about all the devices out there and they are not tied to a single channel solution

Again, what other devices? :slight_smile:
I’m in 300k city, there is only one gateway and it is out of my range.

I got the message, just want to leave a mark, I tried to play with the technology, I was blocked, not gonna touch it again.

TTN is very open to DIYers that adhere to the LoRaWAN standard. Non compliant gateways causes issues for other users. (If I got a euro every time someone wrote that there are no other users near them I would be rich)

The community network costs TTN huge amounts of money a month just to allow us to experiment. So the money incentive is to make sure people are able to rely on the network to comply with the standard. An end device should work the same with every gateway, not have to be adapted to whatever non standard packet forwarder is available at a certain location.

Looks like a perfect alternative. I wish you good luck implementing it.

Be assured we would love you to use TTN with standards compliant hardware. That does mean an investment in a compliant gateway (you can build one with a RaspberryPi and about 40 euros of hardware of eBay). When TTN started gateway prices we’re in the range of 1000 euros, so being able to obtain one for less then 100 euros is a huge improvement, however expensive it seems to you.

How do you know? From the TTN map or TTNMapper? Those show registered gateways that have been set to show publicly and for TTNMapper, those that have been mapped

No person is blocking you except yourself and the LoRaWAN specification. You don’t get to re-wire the local electricity sub-station so you can use a cheaper appliance that uses 110VAC and so it is with LoRaWAN.

You can walk away, in Britain we’d call ‘cutting your nose off to spite your face’ - you clearly know more than most getting started, you’ve got one of the more expensive DIY devices, all you need to do is make an investment of €80 for a TTIG.

Hopefully when you’ve slept on it you’ll reconsider - if you tell us what you are hoping to use LoRaWAN for we can give some better advice on gateways & devices etc.

1 Like