Kerlink Cellular backup on Belgian Service providers

(Wodec) #1

We have a Kerlink gateway with a sim from a Belgian mobile provider (proximus) and want to set up GPRS as a backup connection.
However, when we place the sim in the gateway (with the config below) we see that the gateway is restarting every 30 - 40 seconds. (patch for known bug “empty GPRS user & passw” has been applied).
ppp0 is not visible in the ifconfig and can not be started manually.

We have sent the gateway with the Belgian SIM to our Dutch supplier and they have done the same test on a Dutch mobile network and everything works correct !?

So:

• gateway + belgian sim on belgian mobile network = NOK
  • gateway + belgian sim on dutch mobile network = OK

We have also tested other belgian service providers, but they have not been successful here either.

Where is the difference? Suggestions ?

Config / etc / sysconfig / network

GPRSAPN = internet.proximus.be
GPRSPIN =
GPRSDNS = yes
GPRSUSER = kerlink
GPRSPASSWORD = password

BEARERS_PRIORITY = “eth0, ppp0”

(Mascarpone) #2

Hi Wodec,

I have a very similar issue with with a german mobile network (eplus/alditalk). Did you find a solution to your problem in the meantime?

Regards
Uwe

(Wodec) #3

Hi Mascarpone,

issue still not solved :frowning:

We are talking now with our mobile providers.

I’ll keep you posted !

Hello @mascarpone, @Wodec, I suggest you to contact Kerlink as well. As you experienced yourself, there are several types (and generations) of SIM cards provided by the mobile operators. There could be a firmware issue at the UMTS/GSM module used by the Kerlink gateway, ie. the module not able to handle properly a recently manufactured SIM card. Send an e-mail to Kerlink, they should be able to fix this problem.

I really don’t know what is this bug about, but as far as I know, on the operator side it is possible to disable the user and password authentication in such a way that the subscriber can put whatever user and password he likes, the mobile still will be able to connect. It is not mandatory to use this feature, but if it is not used and the user and password are both set to empty on the operator side, then the only way to log in will be by leaving user and password empty on the mobile side as well. Sorry, if I am writing something obvious that you already know…

Can you please post the connection params section of your /knet/knetd.xml ?

It’s enough to take a look at the system log to see if the modem is able to register in the network with the currently installes SIM card (and, actually, it’s enough to take a look at the LEDs).