LilyGO TTGO T-Motion - no serial output / no ttn packets

I’m not aware that you can program such things - I thought they were a USB to serial convertor.

Well, if you have a genuine FTDI chip, these can actually be programmed! (not with code though).

But of course that is not what @ELPIDOFOROSANSTASIOU meant here. :wink:

@ELPIDOFOROSANSTASIOU did you notice my last post with question for @PhantomSystems?

The FTDI interface is for debug output only (Serial2). The S76G must be programmed using the ST-link interface as the MCU is an STM nucleo chip

And, @ELPIDOFOROSANSTASIOU, did you notice what @PhantomSystems said when he said that the USB was useless for serial debugging and told you the pins for a serial to USB interface?

No where did he say that it was for programming.

I’d put this module to one side for now and get hold of one that you aren’t going to have a fight with to get going. Then come back to this one when you’ve got one working.

Thanks. I completely overlooked the following:

Maybe better try one board first a next time.

The T-Motion definely is not an Arduino friendly board because not standard supported with any Arduino BSP (board support package).

And the STM32duino LoRaWAN package is woefully out of date - 2017 or thereabouts …

@PhantomSystems @ELPIDOFOROSANSTASIOU

Are you aware of T-Motion USB_Driver_Doc.pdf ?

Will probably help to enable upload over USB and/or Serial over USB for serial monitor.

What package are you referring to? This library?: I-NUCLEO-LRWAN1

Arduino Core STM32 does not have a LoRaWAN package (integrated). You can use the MCCI LMIC library instead.

Yes

But but but … … it’s in the STM32duino section - how can that not be for the STM32duino / Arduino Core for STM32 board support???

Personally I’d go with a variant of the Tlera library or, as at present, the code-splat that is the official STM32 LRWAN1 Cube code base.

This was in response to

Good suggestion!
The S76G contains STM32L073 which is supported by @GrumpyOldPizza’s Arduino core. It has LoRaWAN support integrated based on Semtech’s LoRaMAC-node.
It has no BSP for the T-Motion so (some) standard Arduino pin definitions may/will be incorrect (use pin numbers instead).

The Arduino Core for STM32L0 based boards can be found here:

The Tlera library isn’t terribly up to date either but I know it works on the STM32 B-L072Z board aka the Murata module on TTS CE as I tried it recently.

Yeah, I know, ArduinoCore-stm32l0 needs to be updated to LoRaWAN 1.0.4 (aka LoRaMac-node 4.5.2), and all the work that had been done in ArduinoCore-stm32wb has to be backported …

Why not with with stm32duino … loaded question. In general to do LoRaWAN properly (not just a quick hack, quick proof of concept) you need a lot more internal structures than typical Arduino Cores supply. Doing strict timing without proper RTC code and multiple IPLs for ISRs I do find always lacking substantially. LMIC is nice, but you end up with a suboptimial solution, that is a tad convoluted. Just my 2 cents.

I have to admit that ArduinoCore-stm32l0 is kind of tied to TypeABZ from muRata. Turns out that this chip/module is simply the sweet spot. I might add Type1SJ support and perhaps S76G … Does anybody have by chance the full docs for the CXD5603GF GNSS chip used on latter one ?

Like this?: CXD5603GF_UsersManual_E_013

I’m in the throes of a STM32 LRWAN1 project on Murata so my head is firmly in the groove on this so happy to help, maybe, am I mad - the STM32 code base is spaghetti! When I looked at your BSP I figured that some serious midnight oil must have been burnt to get it all nicely packaged and totally not surprised that it’s been left - but it works as is right now.

Yeah, it works, so why fix it :wink: You got the idea there. To be honest somewhere along the line LoRaMac-node added some convoluted way to save state into EEPROM … and they seriously botched that one. 4.5.2 fixed most of that last minute, so there is now a good incentive to move to a new code base. But that’s perhaps more than just an afternoons work, as you probably figured out.

I was not aware of this doc. I simply use the external ST-Link programmer.
BTW - The AcSip S76G is now End-of-Life so good luck getting any support on it.
T-Motion STLink FTDI USB

Do you have a source for this? AcSIP S76G product page at least does not mention this.

Yeah, they know - I told Miguel Luis aka mluis that there is a difference between Corporate Headquarters and the bottom of the coal mine where we were at:

But still, would be good to get 4.5.2 going as it is an inflection point. I’ll have another look one rainy afternoon (most of them at this time of year).