Long range radio Pager project

what size is that ?

and if you want to control a little menu with your thumb :wink:

1 Like

I can see it working to track farm equipment, gates etc but I’d never trust the safety of a family member to LoRaWAN, just too many - fast changing - parts to go wrong. More so with some rickety cheap setup with gateways hanging at the end of microwave links.

I’d consider APRS if amateur radio license was an option, a GPS enabled transmitter is less than $100 https://www.sainsonic.com/ap510-aprs-tracker-vhf-with-gps-bluetooth-thermometer-tf-card-support-aprsdroid.html

or more likely go for Iridium ($15/month world coverage)

1 Like

tnx . it is TFT … no LCD … power consumption is big

Where can we find the blue pcb one ?
I have the up left one, but too small for most bin fingered people

have to find it in my archives somewhere.
in fact the wheel is a rotary encoder + if you push a switch, very handy (I think it was expensive :sweat: )

found it

1 Like

Just FYI, in case it’s not on your list already:

I count 8 lines of 20 characters. Assuming LoRaWAN rather than plain LoRa, SF12 allows for 51 bytes. This is roughly about a third of the number of characters, giving you a character set of about 80 glyphs. For English, that might suffice…?

(It would need 2.8 seconds air time on SF12.)

1 Like

I found a good quality one

http://www.chip45.com/products/dogm128w-6_lcd_display_modul_grafik_128x64_pixel_seriell_spi.php

And you will connect your gateway to the internet how?

Really, you’re just moving the issue. The best and imo only way to provide resilience against ‘external influence’ is plausible deniability in the form of end-to-end encryption. You can do that over any network medium. Shifting the last mile from cellular to LoraWAN will not change anything, because you will still have to rely on network mediums that can’t be trusted to connect your gateways to the internet, to connect your server to the internet etc. If the government wants your pager down, they’ll just send a warrant to the ISP of your gateway or server.

1 Like

Encryption alone won’t help much in the way of resilience if the ‘external influence’ can just cut your backbone network access so I think alternative network mediums are still worth investigating.

But yes maybe LoRaWAN isn’t ideal because of the coordinated network server requirement. Maybe the P2P LoRa as @ccadic was saying before.

The best , is probably to experiment and see.
I’ll try. a P2P concept is oviously needed. With transcoder GW modules to interconnect to existing system.
The immunity to External Influence is not the main goal anyway, it is only a part of the project

_there is a tool named startdog_V43 to get an idea how that (expensive with backpanel!) display looks.

US $7.44 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/302285955198? :wink:

(just bought one myself to test for another project)

Should maybe start some crowd funded projects to detect when the NSA start experimenting on cracking the home gateways. Oh wait… I thought one of the existing ttn meetups in Eindhoven was going to talk about some hack detection software. Maybe inspired by this very threat :slight_smile:

1 Like

nothing new

anyway… as they control 99% off all big exchanges in the world you won’t detect this imho.

visible part of the UTAH datacenter

somebody somewhere is allready building 'spynodes :slight_smile:

1 Like

We will re-use a blackberry keyboard :slight_smile: at least for the tests.

And Yes this LCD screen is excellent. We will use it also

Thanks for exchanging

Hi, it’s my first post here, I am a brand new member of the community.
I’m playing with Lora gateways and nodes since just 2 weeks and I’m not probably the most experienced user to write an opinion about your project but I don’t think Lorawan can garantee to be the same efficient as a telco company for paging uses.
My concerns come from the fact that LoraWAN is not a realtime network, paging someone requires some garantee that the person is receiving immediately the notification.
If I’m not wrong TTN works on ClassA connection, for realtime you need Lorawan ClassC…so first of all you have to move to another Server solution.
But the biggest problem is the fact depending on node distance from gateway some packets might be lost and require multiple sends…which is incompatible with a pager destination use.
Maybe I’m wrong, someone else’s opinion will be appreciated in this post, but I’m actually not sure LoraWan can be a good choice for a realtime use.

Giulio

you’re right.

TTN for example is a class A network so the ‘pager’ will have to contact the mothership and ask if there are any new messages, and that as many times a day as possible (battery!)

This type of use case therefore will, at this moment, not work well on TTN.

Nice discussion. Kindly get back with results. I will post the feedback of FidoNet to a blog Codingular

We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things,not because they are easy, but because they are hard; … :slight_smile: