LoRA BME280 Environmental Node (with webbased backend)

Hi,
the BME280 is connected to A4 and A5 on the Arduino pro mini and did you remove the power LED from the Arduino? I want to use your setup for an indoor monitor to detect water damage from the level above the holiday home. Last time there was a undetected water damage above so the water runs in the walls for 4 week down, you can image what trouble it was… I hope with the BME280 i can detect higher humidity as indicator there is something wrong.

Kind regards
Stefan

Hello Stefan, sorry to hear about your holiday home damage, that really sucks.
Indeed I removed the power LED but also the Power regulator from the Arduino. That drops the deepsleep current bigtime.

Using the BME280 as a higher humidity indicator should work when you have base line.
Iḿ thinking that a humidity of aprx. 50 to 60 would be normal (but that depends on you’re home).
For that I have added alarm/warning rules in the back-end. For example I have a alarm rule for low temperature in the garden. and one for a lower RSSI.

Hi,
can you give us some update about the battery life? I have seen you have added a brown out detection to the source code.

Kind regards
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

i use this nodes for about three months now without any drop in voltage. So i think they will work a little bit longer :wink: I also removed the power LED and the voltage regulator.

1 Like

Hi BjoernA,

could you please state which battery you are using and what is your time interval (T) for data transmission?

Regards

Hi,

i’am using these cheap 3.6V lithium batterys.
My transmission interval is 10 minutes.

1 Like

It’s been a while that I posted something of a status update in this topic, but here it comes.

Last week I followed a Angular 5 course for my work and one thing we had to do was to work out and implement a case. Well what better way to do that then to rebuild my webbased backed :slight_smile:

There are still some small things to do (CSS just isn’t my thing) but the base is there and it’s LIVE :

https://ssl.bolkesteijn.nl:8943/env/angular/

After some code cleanup I will post the sources on my github page.

Note : the old backend is still live at https://ssl.bolkesteijn.nl:8943/env/

3 Likes

first google to the rescue ANGULAR :wink:

What’s these CH2i BME 280 sensors :joy::joy:

I wouldn’t know :wink:

1 Like

Finally all parts had arrived, i have build a test setup on a breadboard and measured the power consumption. It uses round about 50mA while sending and 27,3μA in deep sleep. A battery calculator says that the battery (ER14505) should run 5 years :sunglasses:.
Next step design and print a case and than installing it.

By the way, i use Cayenne LPP to visualize the data, if you wish i can make a pull request to add my changes to your code. It is implemented via #ifdef statements so it can be easily changed between Cayenne and your data format by setting a #define.

1 Like

Give it a pull :slight_smile:

This thread has made me very happy :slight_smile:

I’ve been working with Pro Mini, RFM95 and BME280 to build a low-power monitoring node. I can get it all working OK< but I’m struggling with the LP side of it. This looks exactly like what I’m after - and I also use Cayenne at the back end, so I’ll be keeping a close eye on you as well @biermi !

I’m literally in the middle of adding a lux and UV sensor - the code’s easy enough, designing a case which is small and contains all the electronics is a little trickier, but I’m getting there.

Best
Mark

1 Like

the original BME280 library has changed, so be careful loading the whole content from lex_ph2lb

1 Like

which one is that ? :wink:

Are the SMD resistors needed if I do not want the Button and LED? All I am trying to do is have the ProMini, RFM95W and the BME.

If you look at the schematic

• No button and led - can remove all red parts
  • No Microchip DEVEUI chip, then you can remove blue parts
  • Depending on your BME280 sensor breakout board, may be you don’t need black parts. these are I2C pullup and some breakout board already have them, just check if BME280 is seen without them with an I2C scan sketch, if not place them/
1 Like

I have made and printed a small case for indoor usage.

IMG_20180827_201140

2 Likes

@Charles @lex_ph2lb

You need to do conformal coating on PCBs which are exposed to high humidity / low temp.
Please see this link

Electrolube HPA200H High Performance Acrylic Conformal Coating

4 Likes

Bookmarked. Thanks for the tip.