Low Cost LoRa Compliant Gateways

The Pico is not supported for use with TTN. They’ll sell you one, and hand you some documentation and sample files, but don’t expect them to answer any questions.

It might be supported in the future, but isn’t now. I’m sending mine back.

I forgot to mention that the Pico goes silent after about 90 minutes. Stops forwarding packets. Definitely do not buy one until Tektelic advertises and provides TTN support.

Thanks, that’s helpful to know. It’s listed here: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/start/list.html
’This gateway is an easy-to-configure gateway, advertised as a plug-and-play pico gateway.'
And @adrewetx here
Read LoRaWan Sensor directly
describes Tektelic gateways as easy to configure.
I wonder whether TTN core team members might find it possible and useful to communicate with Tektelic about getting clear documentation for making their gateways readily TTN-compatible.

2 Likes

Tektelic says that they have TTN support as a goal, but they’re not there yet.

1 Like

Thanks for your respnses. Point about multiple antennae taken, although cost is again the only real hurdle there as LoRaWAN is highly resilient to noise, so it should be ok. Unless ther is some other point I’m missing.

Yes, it seems that less expensive gateways are emerging eg. http://www.rakwireless.com/en/WisKeyOSH/RAK831 - nothing new, there is a thread dedicated to this board here on TTN Fora.

I’ll keep posting if I see other low cost options, especially if they are available in South Africa

I just got mine going…

http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways/pico-gw-647fdafffe0052d9

configuration wasn’t easy but I’m happy to help others after going through their tech support. I needed new binary and config files and their docs are not great. if more people are buying them (best price going right now), then I’ll make a config script for this gateway.

2 Likes

Excellent. Congrats.

Hi @bradzcave, are you happy with the results ? (range, packet loss, etc…) I’m looking for a gateway in this price range :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very… it’s solid and a good price. Lots of devices using this gateway even though its indoors. But… only config via TFTP, so it’s not just a few clicks to get it to use different networks. Some strangeness about it always using zero for snr and rssi too (support never answered this, probably cut some corners on their low end?)

I’ll post the latest bin and config files here if you need them.

I have just got one of these,
How did you configure it to connect to TTN?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Did you get the latest binaries on their portal site?

You need too be very careful the file names for your config files (or else your tftp commands will fail).

LoRaWAN.json (1.9 KB)
lorawan_config.json (6.8 KB)

Portal Site?

I didn’t receive any user guide or documentation with the device, and the user guide I found online all it said about configuring it was to plug power and network into it haha.

Where did you get the binaries from?
I found a configuration User Guide on support.tektelic.com/portal, which says about the firmware but can’t find anywhere to download it from

I hear there’ll be some great announcements around low cost DIY gateways at Things Conference :slight_smile:

5 Likes

ok… there is a few zip files you get on the pico setup page. can’t post binaries here, but can use mine (change all you id’s etc obviously).

pico settings and semtec binaries

multchannel gateway under 150usd?

A post was merged into an existing topic: The hard RAK831 cafe part 3

Just got hold of one of these. I have the TTN binary… How the hell do you send that to the gateway via tftp? Ive tried the obviously PUT command. But fails to send. haha.

I have the TTN firmware. But for the life of me tonight failing to tftp it to the device…

Ah… the file names must be exactly in the doc… case sensitive too. Also any error in the json will reject the TFTP too.

1 Like