Migration Procedure

I have what it seems is soon to become a legacy application in TTN console if I don’t do anything about it. When I log into console.thethingsnetwork.org/applications, I’m confronted with this banner:

The first thing I find myself asking (after watching the the things network conference keynote, and reading the referenced material), is am I even in the right place or is there a new URL I should be going to for “the v3 console”? It doesn’t really look anything like the screenshots of the UI shown here.

The second thing I’m wondering about is whether I need to make a new application to migrate my devices into. If I do, it seems to me that it would be very important to have the APP EUI of the old and new application match, since those 8-bytes are configured into my end-devices.

Thanks for any guidance here. I was startled at seeing this message and now I’m trying to get my bearings and deal with the consequences on what feels like a pretty short timeline, and the path isn’t crystal clear to me yet. I’d be surprised to find that I am the only one.

2 Likes

Update - I just came across https://eu1.cloud.thethings.network/console/, by way of some random forum post, but I’m in the United States (New York) and my credentials seem to work there. But it also says “eu1 Community” in the upper right corner. Is this URL what is meant by the v3 console? I couldn’t find a direct link to it from www.thethingsnetwork.org and when I log in there under my avatar => console it takes me to what I presume is the old “v2 console”… I still feel a bit untethered…

Hi vicatcu

Check out https://console.cloud.thethings.network/, at the moment there are three clusters operated for the community network, there will maybe be more available in the future.

1 Like

Did you click on the “click here” bit of the banner?

The forum is full of topics on the migration …

I’m still cloudy on this (lighty edited) facet of my ignorance:

After I made a new application in the V3 stack, at what point and how do I do this?

Would be useful to know if it’s on OTAA or ABP

All of my devices are configured for OTAA

And are you now reading the How-to from the Senior TTI Engineer that I linked to above?

I have read that post a couple of times now… it is confusing to me. It talks a lot about ABP and says:

• Using ABP devices is discouraged. We recommend to use OTAA unless you really have a good reason to use ABP.

But then it goes on to say:

• Select Activation by personalization (ABP)

Much of the device settings guidance also seems specific to the European region, and I’m in North America.

If my devices are configured for OTAA do I not need to worry about migrating them from V2 to V3 on the backend? Some things I’ve read did lead me to believe that might be true, but then again there’s this sunset roadmap where V2 is made read-only in April then shut down in September, so that doesn’t sound to me like a “do nothing” situtation.

You may find search & browse helps.

And in the this category, same as the link above:

Because the EU region went live first, just substitute nam1 for eu1 …

1 Like

OK, I got some advice from my local TTN community. For anyone else that might be interested, and to put and end to this thread, the advice I got, which seems perfectly reasonable is:

• Create a new application on the v3 stack.
  • Create an incoming MQTT endpoint wired to the v3 stack for data ingestion into your system.
  • Start creating new devices on the v3 stack.
  • Deal with migrating v2 devices to v3 later (this summer).
  • Deal with migrating gateways sometime after that.

Other notes:

• In v3, App EUIs are essentially arbitrary and you should just set them to 1 (not the default of 0) when you create new devices in V3.
3 Likes

Please use the instructions on Adding Devices | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN and use all zeros when registering a device without a vendor supplied AppEUI.

FYI, I’ve opened an tangentially related thread because my first device created in the V3 console didn’t work (won’t connect through a V2 gateway).

Ref: New V3 Device OTAA not working like V2