MikroTik Antenna Kit 6.5dBi

Hi,
I am looking for an external antenna for my Dragino LPS8. I initially thought of a homemade collinear antenna, but I now found the MikroTik 6.5dBi antenna for reasonable money, which would save me some time. Is anyone using this antenna? Would you recommend it for outdoors?

Regards,
Peter

I would not recommend a LPS8 outdoors. The mikrotik antenna is fine for outdoor use. Dragino also has an outdoors antenna available.

Thanks. The gateway will be located either indoor, or outdoor protected by an IP66/67 case, so that should not be a problem (I still thinking about length of the antenna cable, lightning protection and good height of the antenna). Meanwhile I have ordered the MikroTik antenna and will give it a try.

I’m using them outdoors - They are a bit long and thin and flex a bit in the wind compared to other antennas, but they are cheap and come with an SMA to SMA cable ready to go.

If it’s a windy area, I suggest the HyperLink HGV-906U. It is terminated with an N female connector and does not come with a cable.

Whichever way you go, make sure you use coax seal or some other tape to weatherproof the conectors

Compared to surge arrestors with N connetors SMA surge arrestors are quite expensive here.
That is why i installed my mikrotik antenna only “semi-outdoor” (underneath the lightning protection of the building) and used an ethernet surge arrestor to protect the internal installation.

I have been using MikroTik 6.5dBi on a farm but i cant give you max range info yet as all the sensors are only in 100-200m distance Hopefully it can do a few kms on this flat area.

Somehow a part of my Gott lost.
I usw a complete wAP Lora8 Kit with mentioned antenna.
Here you can See the coverage on ttnmapper.
The geographic topology ist somewhat Special an in some locations usefull and in other very limiting.

But as visible the coverage with good antennas on both sides ist quite amazing.

Really impressive coverage, probably due to the flat area in your region. Here, close to Düsseldorf, it’s different - slight hills around and heavyly built on. In my opinion, the altitude is the major criteria for good coverage, and the antenna gain more a factor to compensate cable loss.
I now got the microTik antenna (currently still indoor), looks good so far, but need to be brought outdoor to get improvements compared to the stick antenna of the Dragino LPS8.

I use the Horizon 868 8V1 antenna together with my LPS8-gateways. This is an selective antenna for 868 MHz, its gain is compensated by the loss of the coaxial cable between the outdoor antenna and the indoor gateway.
The most limiting thing for the coverage is the Line of Sight. Theoretically the coverage is more than 300km with SF7/125kHz and more than 1200km with SF12/125kHz (14dBm ERP, Semtech SX1276). But if there is something in between disturbing the Fresnel-zone the coverage will decrease significantly.

I have a one, mounted on a public gateway (mikrotik Basebox2 + R11e-LoRa8 radio), processes 10000+ messages per day.

Been running for a year.

It is setup on a 9m mast, on a strategic geographic place (highest surrounding mountain), coverage should be 50km+ on most directions from some budget analysis I made.

so far has stood strong winds (40km/h+) rains, etc fine. Using stock piigtail.

I thought it being a public gateway will plot “public coverage” on TTN-Mapper, but either I didn’t manage to get it to work, or only your devices are plotted?

Edit: it seems I can get some radar shapes… (after enabling Fake GPS in Mikrotik LoRa device settings) longest transmision: 57Km

Captura de pantalla 2021-01-13 a las 10.44.53

Captura de pantalla 2021-01-13 a las 11.04.38|1000x584 30%

I have 3 of these( and a 4th soon to be mounted) in the arctic conditions in Northern Norway, and they have survived snowstorms, rain and wind(over 100km/h wind some times). I have mine mounted on tall(40+ meter high) buildings in strategic positions, but due to challenging geography, I haven’t had the change to really test their LOS range.

TTNMapper experiment-data: TTNMapper Test Experiment (there’s one third-party gateway which has the wrong coordinates)