MikroTik LoRaWAN gateways and concentrator boards

That’s correct, but doesn’t give the maximum transmition power (in the EU-868 band) problems then?

If the gateway can receive data from node’s that he can’t send to, it seems to me something that give problems.

BTW. It’s possible that the extenal antenna gives location advantages.

Yes a higher gain antenna may help you violate restrictions on ERP.
With a high gain antenna and reduced TX power of your gateway, on “normal” frequencies you will have link-unbalance in favour of the node. That is no problem because 99% of all LoRaWAN traffic is uplink.

Extrenal antennas ar superior to internal antenna’s.

1 Like

I’m worried about the 1%. Is the “network” not sending downlink msg’s to the gateway with the best receive? With a link-unbalance the’re probably not the best gateway to send.

You are assuming there is a balance issue. Why?

The external antenna will not increase the energy transmitted but be able to send without disturbances from nearby components. So there will be no loss like caused by the PCB and components which are mounted close to the internal antenna.

Good point. The antenna here is on a seperate pcb, close to the other components. Often it’s on top, so that only the enclosure will have an impact.

Is it possible getting internet from WIFI? I don´t want to use ethernet connection.
I’m confused how to configure it. My idea is getting internet from a Wifi router I have close to gateway.
Anybody can give me some link or info How to do it?
Thanks

My Config over Wlan or Lan
(Add ssid and key)

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n country=germany disabled=no \
    frequency=auto radio-name=MikrotikLora ssid=wlan wireless-protocol=\
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=\
    dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/lora servers
add address=eu.mikrotik.thethings.industries down-port=1700 name=TTN-EU \
    up-port=1700
add address=us.mikrotik.thethings.industries down-port=1700 name=TTN-US \
    up-port=1700
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=wlan1
add disabled=no interface=ether1
/lora
set 0 disabled=no servers=TTN-EU

As I mentioned earlier these entries need to be edited to “router.eu.thethings.network” and/or “router.us.thethings.network”

1 Like

Uplink over Wifi is possibel! it is described here in the Mikrotik wiki (head to the station section):
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wireless_AP_Client#Station_Configuration

Dont forget that you have to rethink/rewrite your whole set of firewall rules.
A default route to your internet gateway/firewall is also necessary if you use a fixed ip configuration.

Will the configuration still be possible by wireless acces?

Read : internet connection for lora by another acces point (and other brand)

Connection by laptop wifi to the mikrotik, just for configuration?

Has anybody documentet that sort of access?

if you are connected to the same wifi network as the lora gateway you can access the gateway.
if not you have to create a new wifi interface on your mikrotik device for configuration.

Thanks

I’ll try some things

There is an excellent article on how to set up the device by Paul from disk91.com

5 Likes

[This was moved from a similar topic]

Hi there, just a few (practical) remarks here after installing a Mikrotik :

• mounting of the gateway together with the recommended antenna TOF-0809-7V-S1 on the same pole the 1m provided antenna (1m) is a bit too long, which means bending/folding and which is not recommended.

• the enclosure of the RBwAPR-2nD&R11e-LoRa8 has breakouts for the leads, which is ok for RJ45 but not for the antenna cable, which is thin and thus leaves room for moisture etc. Fixed that with some hotglue but it always feels nasty to resort to that :slight_smile:

• one thing i (really) do not like is finding out (on the roof) that a crimped RJ45 is not ok, so I prefer a keystone module and running with a prefabbed rj45 short length patch cable. I hoped I would be able to snug it in the enclosure, but its just too small, leaving me with an extra box outside. Somebody knows a solution for this? Are there any keystone->Rj45 male?

• The leds on the RBwAPR are not helpful in the sense that at least id like to check at least PoE visually while looking at the unit, which is not possible afaik.

• I know you can find it out yourself doing the Mikrotik docs, but getting people on track with this nice gateway the quickstart guide should provide some guidance on how to allow management from the WAN side (read ethernet/PoE) which is blocked by default, in order to allow it to be plugged in just like any device on your LAN (DHCP client on WAN)

• suggestion : allow for webfig access when deployed within existing network needs specific firewall rules, some guidance from mikrotik would be helpful since it is not a default CPE/AP setting, and new users could possibly get lost in the config jungle

• Missing in the instruction is how you would config it with a wifi backhaul , i.e. just have the thing with power only over PoE and have it use the packet forwarder over Wifi.

So far so good, i like the Lora interface on it, with filtering on device id’s, and so far it behaves nicely, consistent, gateway setup as such was easy and without problems so congrats Mikrotik for delivering a reasonably priced and easily to be configured gateway.

Suggestions are intended to help adaptation in the sense that you either just plug it in your home network and have it do its lora forwarding, with the possibility to either use it with Ethernet PoE, ethernet + power supply, wifi+power supply setup, without bothering about the specifics. Since there is no such wizard or preset yet, setting up a gateway might be experienced to be difficult.

Curious about your remarks on this gateway,

3 Likes

I don’t get it completely : Is the antenna to long or the cable?

A smaller external (to the enclosure) antenna suggestion to use indoor would be nice.

This would be indeed very usefull, but combined with how to configure it on a wifi guest network (read a wifi network that blocks internal device to device traffic.)

if you mount it outside use a GPeR with outdoor case if you need longer cables or a RBGESP for surge protection

1 Like

Hi

I’ve also seen a unifi device for surge protection:
Unifi surge protection

One question : How to ground it to avoid damage by a ground loop.
Inside this seems to the house ground, but outside?

on the outside i connect the ground of the RBGESP to the tower

Yes that is a very nice solution indeed, thank you for the suggestion.