Multitech Conduit AP

As this is the only slightly relevant post about this I see online, I wanted to provide an update: the three pins by the ethernet port are in fact serial.
The one closest to the reset button is RX, then TX then ground.
115200 8N1 no flow control worked for me.

I have one of the ones from comcast, which responds to pings and nothing else.
It has a uboot password and doesn’t drop you into a shell so I haven’t been able to talk to it yet.
Does print logs from init, it starts mosquitto and sshd. Pity I can’t talk to them.

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here, but I thought I might just give an update on where things stand now:

I now use the built in packet forwarder. I’m not sure what was happening the Kersing packet forwarder, but as soon as I started using the built in one, everything went smoothly. I got numbers equalling and exceeding the Kerlink iFemtocell.

We’re now using the MTCAP in production. Once V3 is out, we’ll install the gateway agent on the device; there will be no need to use kersing packet forwarder.

@mtfurlan I pushed Multitech a few times and they gave me the pinout diagram, but as you’re finding right now, it’s not set up by default to drop you in to a shell. I’ll be looking into this sometime in the future.

As I can’t reproduce your findings I am not sure what was happening either.

Do you know if this model has a debug interface ? I really need one. I lost ssh server somehow and factory reset does not bring it back.

Hi Kersing,

I have the Multitech AP, MTCAP-915-001L and I’ve been trying to connect it to TTN. What packet forwarder are you using to do this? I have edited the var/config/lora/local.conf.json & var/config/lora/local.conf.json files and am able to “start” the packet forwarder but in my applications and devices my device status is “never seen”. I’m very new to linux and would greatly appreciate any advice/help. Thank you.

-J

Use the instructions on the TTN docs website to configure it and you should be good.

Thank you! I followed the documents for configuring the mLinux model and registered my gateway however the gateway I am using does not have any visible screws on my gateway. I used FileZilla and transferred the downloaded installer.sh file to the gateway. I then used the instructions and entered requested info. I got the “starting ttn-packet forwarder: OK” message. I am not able to connect though, when i type “tail -f /var/log/lora-pkt-fwd.log” I am seeing:
" INFO: [Transports] Initializing protocol for 1 servers
ERROR: [TTN] Connection to serve “bridge.us-west.thethings.network” failed, retry in 30 seconds.

Is your gateway connected to a network which allows MQTT connections to the internet? (TCP port 1883)

I will check, thanks. When I re-ran sh installer.sh I also got the “starting ttn-packet forwarder: OK” message, but I also got this message: installer.sh: line 822: node: command not found.

Check if there is a file ‘/var/config/lora/global_conf.json’. Given the earlier output there should be one. If that file exists you can ignore the message. If the file does not exist, copy ‘/var/config/lora/ttn_global_conf.json’ to that file (and ignore the message)

OK, so I do have a '/var/config/lora/global_conf.json file! So that’s good. For my network I’m using a MiFi right now via ethernet.

In terminal I get this in the output for ‘lsof -i tcp’:
mosquitto 427 root 4u IPv4 3534 0t0 TCP localhost.localdomain:1883 (LISTEN)

When I transferred the file to the gateway, I put it under the /bin folder. Is this a problem? Should I put it in a different folder?

Sorry, I didn’t mean the gateway should be listening on the MQTT port. The packet forwarder you installed attempts to contact TTN (bridge.us-west.thethings.network according to your log extract) at port 1883. Does your network allow it to do so?

Thank you for clarifying, I apologize for the confusion. Yes, it allows it to do so!

I was able to run the installer and connect with the things network! I needed to move the installer file from the /bin folder to the home/root folder and it worked. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Excellent news. Glad you got it resolved.

Just found the MachineQ Conduit AP yesterday and it’s a great deal for the unit and a development board. Sounds like that is the same unit you got, is the one from Comcast/MachineQ restrict in any way? Can it be used with TTN?

The MachineQ conduit AP has custom firmware that you will have no access to and must be managed via the MachineQ portal. It will therefore not be usable on TTN unless you can re-flash it with the default Multitech firmware.

I have one of the MachineQ gateways as I have been working with a client and Comcast directly on a project. Also they only seem to be able to get 915MHz versions of the Multitech AP but are able to push 868MHz firmware to it if needed but performance is poor due to the internal antenna.

Andrew

I was afraid of that since someone mentioned the bootloader on these is password protected where the ones directly from Multitech are not. I suspect that also means it near impossible to reload the firmware (or bootloader for that matter) without getting very invasive.

Chris

Hello All,

I am trying to connect my MultiConnect® Conduit - Application Execution Platform (MTCDT-H5-210A Firmware1.2.2) following this guide https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/multitech/aep.html everything goes well but if I look at the log it says that it is not possible to connect to the europe router.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thx.

Yes, unfortunately I’m now having trouble connecting my cellular conduit gateway with the internet. I’m using AT&T. Seems like there’s two different sets of directions for setting up the connection (Multitech and TTN).