Payload decoder: check the port number

On TTN Mapper I recently started seeing a lot of invalid data points, like below:

This also happens to devices that were mapping fine for years on V2.

Further investigation shows that V3 is forwarding port 0 data to the payload formatter. Naive payload formatters do not check the port number, and decode port 0 mac commands as if they are coordinates.

See the raw data for the device in the above screenshot here:
port0decoding.csv.txt (120.8 KB)

In this CSV we can see that it is the packets received on port 0 that is causing the invalid locations on the map.

How to fix this:
Add a check for the port number in your payload decoder. If you know you are sending gps coordinates on port 1, add a if check like this:

function decodeUplink(input) {
  decoded = {};

if(input.fPort === 1) {
    decoded.latitude = bytes[0]...
    decoded.longitude = ...
  }

return {
    data: decoded,
    warnings: [],
    errors: []
  };
}
3 Likes

Good reminder indeed!

What’s interesting is that while an argument could be made that MAC-only packets shouldn’t be going to an application packet decoder, I feel like a while back someone was loudly complaining that an older version of this wasn’t sending them there.

Regardless if port 0 packets should be going to the decoder or not, a decoder that doesn’t check the port number at all is a bad decoder…

I’d say this is a bug. The Application Server has no business with MAC commands on port 0 uplinks. If people want to debug MAC commands they can use events emitted by the Network Server.

@johan @adrianmares what do you think?

Related Github issue: fPort 0 data confuses naive payload formatters · Issue #4668 · TheThingsNetwork/lorawan-stack · GitHub

Thanks for the reference. Let’s have further discussion in that issue (and not here on the forum).

Because?

If it’s open source, then it’s open source and all can contribute.

A slack channel perhaps?

What’s wrong with on here?

Indeed, anyone can see, and AFAIK comment on issues at the github repo

In terms of user needs, the forum makes a lot of sense, and I’m not convinced the change now enacted was not a bit hasty - particularly, “protecting naive decoders from their naivety” is perhaps not a great motivation.

But in terms of the software itself, having decision history tied to issues is a lot more typical than having it tied to external forum posts.