RAK5205 guide and software - Version 3?

I recently purchased a RAK5205 WisTrio LPWAN Tracker, and it joins the TTN but I still can’t use the rak software tool. the supplied guide is for TTN version 2, so it was of marginal help, and the software I believe is V3+ with a whole new level of command set.

I also successfully communicated with a pi-suppy 811 chip using the Linux ‘rak811v3’ command.

Can someone explain whats going on? both Rak and TTN went from V2 to a radically different V3?

here is the guide: RAK5205 Quick Start Guide | RAKwireless Documentation Center

That would be RAK changing what ever it is they provide in the way of commands but not really as their devices still have to be configured per the LoRaWAN spec which has stayed the same but has also had new stuff added, the console was updated when the The Things Stack was released about 2.5 years ago but the concepts remain and there is almost 10x more docs than before to learn & reference.

Think of it as going from Office XP to Office 2003 with the ribbon toolbar.

If you can be specific we can answer in detail.

thank you nick,
two questions that come to mind. I did use rak811v3 commands on my pi-suppy hat and i’m connected. On my 5205, i’m connected but the software tool doesn’t seem to work. I’m thinking this is a v2 software tool, but my 5205 is v3.

• Can i use the rack811v3 linux tool to access the 5205? or is this tool raspberry pi only?
  • i am trying to use the code from the ‘getting started’. I know some of the commands are v2 specific, but i can’t get past the import line - from rak811 import Mode, Rak811
    ImportError: cannot import name ‘Mode’ from ‘rak811’ (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/rak811/init.p

Which software tool, there are several. What does it / does not do?

Which Linux tool and why would it be Raspberry Pi only which runs Debian which is Linux?

What happens when you try it?

Which getting started? Link please.

There really isn’t such a thing. The stack is now v3 but as I said above, all of the LoRaWAN elements are still the same. So using a serial terminal, the serial tool or Python or anything else still stands at a fundamental level.

This is a Python library error, it’s not even an error related to the device as it hasn’t even got started. It may be related to v2 versus v3 of Python, which may be related to your comments on v2 versus v3.

It helps the volunteers answering if you can provide links to the resources you are using so we can be sure we are all talking about the same thing. Otherwise it’s just advanced guessing.