RAK831 Pi Zero

we’re talking about the PCB only, this GW is a DIY one
if you follow the link in this first article post you’ll find all what you need.

But I help you, to order PCB just click here then click on button order now, could not be easier :wink:

Of course you have to order for printed circuit boards from that company, so I ordered four sets of parts. Once everything arrives, I’ll be happy to split out three of them for other people to build.

Mine are now “in fabrication”.

DigiKey and Newark parts have arrived. Just waiting on the PCBs now.

RAK831 (finally) shipped. Probably two week delivery time.

Got mine today in France took 7 days to come, not bad

1 Like

Wasn’t actually shipped until 3 days ago.

Hi @RussNelson - if you are still offering to split out a set, I would be happy to purchase :slight_smile:

Ditto here! :wink: @nicbkw @RussNelson

If you order pcbs get them from www.pcbway.com only 5$ for 10 pcbs… And very fast production and delivery…

Yes, I am, and with Jeff and nickbw I only have one extra. You’ll need a RAK831, and they take FOREVER to ship, so order it now.

1 Like

PCBs.io is still fabricating my boards. 15 days and counting. I guess I shouldn’t expect less, but I’m impatient.

Boards sent Saturday, arrived today. So did my RAK. I have … work to do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got one board soldered up, connected, and working. Some of the other boards are soldered. Either I misread the BOM, or it’s incorrect, because I have some SMT parts which I can’t even SEE much less solder, and I have a lifetime supply of the tri-color LEDs (ordered 8 sets of 10 rather than 8).

@nicbkw and @Jeff-UK, you’ll need a RAK831, a Raspberry Pi with pins, and a microSD card on which to put the software.
Buy the correct frequency model of this: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/RAK831-LoRa-LoRaWAN-Gateway-Module-433-868-915MHz-base-on-SX1301-Wireless-Spread-Spectrum-Transmission-range/2805180_32832894046.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.6dd44461LYJkDQ
Buy a Raspberry Pi Zero W with pins: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3708
I’ll figure out what the parts cost. If you want to email me your shipping address, I’ll figure out the postage I need to charge you.

You’ll need a power supply. It will run off any 5V2A supply (you have to solder the jumper), or any 7VDC-32VDC supply (by default). You can also connect it to a micro-usb connector via the Raspberry Pi.

That’s great Russ thanks, will PM you in a.m. - have a couple of Pi’s & Pi’ Zeros waiting to build GW’s and other stuff in place ready & just sorting RAK position as 1 of 2 recent orders went pear shaped (not impressed!) :frowning: Now need to secure a small handful of 831’s. Cheers, Jeff.

Is there space to add a GPS module to the next revision?

Urgh. I had to loan my only RAK831 to a fellow TTN-Ithaca member for testing purposes. Now I have no way to test the boards. However, I’ve ordered another two RAK831s, so when they get here, I can test the boards and send them out. Dealing with the RAK831 requires patience…

I finally got my pcbs (at ver 1.3A) but I don’t all 5 of them!
If anyone wants one in UK, LMK by private mail.
Cost is £10 (includes individual packaging and postage)

N.B. Original cost was £24 +£12 handling (I might have to pay more duty later, but that would be my loss)

Unfortunately I’m having a bit of bad journey to get my RAK831 Pi Zero setup to work:

First of all PCBs .io processed 2 orders even it showed me only 1. Now I have 10 adapter pcbs. If anybody in Europe wants one, please ping me.
But please be aware it is the 1.3a version, which has some wrong labelling on one side. Because initially I didn’t use a Murata power regulator, but a different one this fried my RAK831 board. Should have measured everything before … lesson learned ;-(
I’ve been in contact with RAKWireless and they suggested to replace the power IC on the RAK831, which was a bit of a new experience as I never soldered a MLPQ-W18 footprint. But it looks like I managed it, at least the leds on the board are working again.
However I can’t get the TTN setup to work. I’m using resin .io for the setup. I started out with ch2pi LoraGW (https://github.com/ch2i/LoraGW-Setup) and assembled everything into a Dockerfile. This worked quite nicely the packet forwarder is started, GPIO4 led blinks, RX blinks and then I get the error:

08:50:39  ERROR: [main] unintended SX1301 reset detected, terminating packet forwarder.

Tried it a couple of times, also recompiled the lora lib with debug options turned on, but nothing really helpful appeared:

##### 2018-05-29 08:50:39 GMT #####
### [UPSTREAM] ###
# RF packets received by concentrator: 0
# CRC_OK: 0.00%, CRC_FAIL: 0.00%, NO_CRC: 0.00%
# RF packets forwarded: 0 (0 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA datagrams sent: 0 (0 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA acknowledged: 0.00%
### [DOWNSTREAM] ###
# PULL_DATA sent: 0 (0.00% acknowledged)
# PULL_RESP(onse) datagrams received: 0 (0 bytes)
# RF packets sent to concentrator: 0 (0 bytes)
# TX errors: 0

This looks pretty empty to me.

I’m using 22 as reset pin. This maps to GPIO25 on Pi Zero. At least that’s my understanding.

I also tried the the off the shelf resin .io installation jpmeijers/ttn-resin-gateway-rpi.git, but with the same results.

So it either looks like I’m missing something or my board has more than a fried power IC …

Is there a way to check if the hardware is actually working? I noticed a couple of test utils in the loragw source, but they don’t compile for me.

If anyone wants all or one of these boards (1.3A) , please contact me via private message on here (UK location)
Happy to accept reasonable offers (less than cost).

There is nothing wrong with these boards (they are very well made), Its just that ordering 5 wasn’t much more than ordering 1 - seems daft for them to sit on the shelf when someone might want one.