The hard RAK831 cafe part 1

‘dood’ here… and I smelled the coffee :sunglasses:

I understand what you mean but my intention was to show the total price of this gateway module imported in the Netherlands which is 108,38 + 35,76 … expecting a general pricedrop in this market segment soon.
After coffee I’ll boot my ironstation …

finding a (temp) way to having access to the RPI GPIO with GW connected

1 Like

What carrier ? Here in France DHL, Fedex, UPS it’s every day :wink:
And if there is no invoice from seller they apply a estimated price
Btw taxes are vat (20%) and As I’m company I’m getting it back so as said @jmarcelino the only line really paid is 13€
Only option basic postal service never paid any taxes with it.

Hi Charles, this was POST NL but there’s no difference in taxes, only in handling costs.

For the Netherlands (don’t know if that’s EU rules) you don’t pay any taxes if the value is below €22,-
From €22,- to €150,- you pay 21% + handling by carrier
Above €150,- you pay 21% + importtax ( 4.2 % ) + handling by carrier

importcalculator

if you buy something in China for €23,- free shipping, it is theoretically possible that you must pay an
extra €13,21 when the packet arrives
to avoid that, most people split their orders in multiple small orders with a value below €22,-, but be carefull, leave some days between every small order, because if not the seller will ship it in one package and you’ll have the same problem.

Umm Rak is now selling a package deal for the gateway inc a Raspberry Pi B+ and adapter all for €142

1 Like

:hushed: clever … why the SMA connector on the converter board ?

For an optional GPS antenna, there’s a module footprint (SIM28M?) next to it

yep, that must be it

source : https://twitter.com/jmarcelino

1 Like

I can’t help but think they’re taking it through the paces of being compliance tested with this shieldless pic… (Maybe I’m just being hopeful.) I saw it’s from Ken himself, so maybe…

My RAK831 order is still yet to be shipped, here’s hoping it arrives soon.

The hackster tutorial also works with this Raspberry Pi1B+?, I have not been able make it work for 915MHz

A flat 13€ processing fee? That’s lucky. Last time they got me with the import taxes I had to pay 20% VAT plus 20% ‘processing fees’… on a 300€+ shipment. 60€ for scanning the package’s sticker, why thank you very much!
Honestly at this point I’d rather pay a fine…

1 Like

another RAK dev kit but missing the adapter board.

Someone has managed to set the RAK831 to 915MHz correctly give me some tips, I thank you for your help in advance, I think mine is faulty.

1 Like

what would be the best path to follow if I want to start a script on boot that reads the gateway log and show (regulary) some info on a I2C display (and don’t interfere with the SPI GW activity)

systemd
initd
autorun

2 Likes

Hi LoRanians,

Yesterday received my RAK831 package.

Now I’m trying to get it to work …

I connected the RPi as in this post.

I installed the binary form github as suggested by @Epyon

If I try to start the packet-forwarder I get three errors…

# packet-forwarder start --config /etc/packet-forwarder/ttn-pkt-fwd.yml 
  INFO Packet Forwarder for LoRa Gateway        HALVersionInfo=Version: 4.0.0; Options: native;
  INFO Found gateway parameters, getting frequency plans AuthServer=https://account.thethingsnetwork.org GatewayID=aandewiel URL=https://account.thethingsnetwork.org/api/v2/frequency-plans/EU_863_870
  INFO Refreshed account server information     TokenExpiry=2017-11-30 10:51:10.815681467 +0100 CET
  INFO Connecting to TTN discovery server       Address=discover.thethingsnetwork.org:1900
  INFO Connected to discovery server - getting router address
  INFO Connecting to router...                  RouterID=ttn-router-eu
  INFO Downlinks queuing routine started       
  INFO SX1301 board configured                  ClockSource=1 LorawanPublic=true
  INFO Configured TX Lut                        Indexes=16
  INFO Radio configured                         EnabledTX=true Frequency=867500000 RSSIOffset=-166 Radio=0 Type=SX1257
  INFO Radio configured                         EnabledTX=false Frequency=868500000 RSSIOffset=-166 Radio=1 Type=SX1257
  INFO LoRa multi-SF channel configured         Freq=-400000 Lora multi-SF channel=0 RFChain=1
  INFO LoRa multi-SF channel configured         Freq=-200000 Lora multi-SF channel=1 RFChain=1
  INFO LoRa multi-SF channel configured         Freq=0 Lora multi-SF channel=2 RFChain=1
  INFO LoRa multi-SF channel configured         Freq=-400000 Lora multi-SF channel=3 RFChain=0
  INFO LoRa multi-SF channel configured         Freq=-200000 Lora multi-SF channel=4 RFChain=0
  INFO LoRa multi-SF channel configured         Freq=0 Lora multi-SF channel=5 RFChain=0
  INFO LoRa multi-SF channel configured         Freq=200000 Lora multi-SF channel=6 RFChain=0
  INFO LoRa multi-SF channel configured         Freq=400000 Lora multi-SF channel=7 RFChain=0
  INFO LoRa standard channel configured        
  INFO FSK channel configured                  
  WARN No GPS chip configured, ignoring        
  INFO Starting concentrator...                 DateTime=2017-08-29 11:51:11.284164306 +0200 CEST
ERROR: Failed to load fw 1
ERROR: Version of calibration firmware not expected, actual:0 expected:2
ERROR The program ended following a failure    error=Failed to start concentrator
#

What am I doing wrong?

Help is much appreciated!

---- EDIT -----
This seems to do the trick: –reset-pin 25

# packet-forwarder start -v --config /etc/packet-forwarder/ttn-pkt-fwd.yml --reset-pin 25

Mind you!!! To add to the confusion: –reset-pin 25 does not set pin 25 of the gpio header as reset pin, but GPIO25!!! Which is actualy pin 22.

3 Likes

That depends… what OS + version are you using on the RPi? If it’s raspbian Jessie I would suggest systemd.

1 Like

So did you get it working?

Yes, I did with the –reset-pin option!

You much seen much packet traffic? wondering if your getting many ‘invalid CRC’ packets

From a clean power on I haven’t needed the reset option here, good to know mind

Well, the Packet-Forwarder would’nt start without the reset option…
I do not get many CRC errors.