The hard RAK831 cafe part 1

It’s just that a couple of people who seem to have them did ask as they didn’t get it working, so I was just wondering if that had been solved already :wink:

1 Like

Just FYI - I now have my RAK831 connected to a NanoPi Neo running the go-version of TTN packet-forwarder. xenial and go version 1.9. RAK831 reset is connected to PG11 on the Neo. Power is provide by 12V PSU into LM2596 DC-DC converter See below a pic:

5 Likes

3 Likes

My Board is now finally available! https://www.tindie.com/products/kilobyte/rak831-raspberry-pi-breakoutbackplane/

2 Likes

I drop this here in case someone else needs it, as the dwg file was missing the connector location - so I made one that states them as they appear in that file:

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: The WORKBENCH

For comparison, RHF0M301 draws 1.66 watts when idle / RX. (At 5.34V, 0.31A) Very nice the RAK831 draws about 1.03 watts when idle / RX!

1 Like

Hi James… nice info.
That picture is from RAK … I will measure it myself also :wink:

tnx Jac. … it seems alive

3 Likes

looks good

whats your aerial setup? aerial type/cable type/cable length/inline adapters?

@ the moment a typical indoor GP living room set up :sunglasses:
Yes I think a GP will give a better result (indoor/outdoor) then the supplied antenna … but I use the GP only for testing, I have an outdoor antenna.

3 Likes

would you get the same distance from the RAK supplied aerial? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you know which lora gateway board support LBT?

I am using the 915Mhz version, with TTN P.F. I have managed to make it work, but only for a few hours, now looks like it is connected in TTN but it does not receive the packages, also notice that the LED RX no longer lights, I will try leaving it off for some time to see if it is a problem of temperature or voltage, which are the two topics I have read may be the cause. Additionally, could anyone confirm if (–reset-pin 25) actually works?

1 Like

It works for me! (mind you, this is pin 22 on the GPIO header!)

I noticed the temperature of the RAK pcb after 30 min, could it that the RPI is heating the RAK831 when you use a converter PCB ?

That is a fairly normal temperature for a concentrator board. The MultiTech mCards are at finger burning temperature when used with an PCIe-to-USB convertor. Other concentrators are also well above room termperature in my experience.
So (imho) nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

I’ve the same problem with my 868MHz board. After few hours it stops receiving packets. When I restart ttn packet forwarder it start working. Packet forwarder makes the board reset (pin 25).

1 Like

I have the RPi and the RAK831 in a “RPi casing”.

The CPU core temperature was in the 55-65 degrees range and the RAK831 got warm (I would not say “hot”).

Now I have added a small Cooling Fan that blows at the back of the RAK831. The CPU core temperature is now in the 30-35 degrees range. I have no way of measuring the RAK831 but I expect it to run cooler also.

3 Likes

who supplies the tall case?