The Things indoor gateway stops functioning

Hi, is someone familiar with this issue and has a solution?
The lorawan gateway is blinking with a green light, and in the dashboard it is shown as offline.
In the network the device does give a ping, ans is seen as operational with ip adress.
I am using this device over 2 years https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/thethingsindoor/

What i did to get the device working again:
Reset device and add it to the internal network, end situation part of network green light stays blinking
Reset the device and remove the device from the things network and add it again, end result device stays blinking with green light.
Somethings is wrong, but i can’t figure out, if it is the hardware, the TTN services how to debug, and or other solution paths. I want to use the lorawangateway in the near future to build some sensors for soil moist in my garden send them trough the gate and present them in a dashboard. I am not in a hurry but want to understand why after 2 years is is malfunctioning.

The gateway worked on TTN V2 and it also workked with TTN V3
The router has natting rules… for port 8887 incomming to the gateway. The cups uri * CUPS uses the URI: https://<server-address>:443 is not in place since 443 is also used internally for other services but in the past this was not an issue.

Thanks for helping me out.

Eelco

The status is not updated very often so the real question is do you see any traffic on the console - if you do, then it’s working.

You should not need to setup any rules on your router for the TTIG - all of the connections are outgoing - including the CUPS URI - the TTIG is not serving on that port and even if it was, it would be for it’s local IP address so it would not in anyway shape or form clash with any other https servers - indeed all the computers on your network could serve on all the ports all the time because that’s how TCP/IP works.

I’d remove all the setup you’ve done and using the v3 docs, start from a clean slate.

Hi with the new created endpoint i see not connected and a red dot. In the past it was always a green dot and connected and sometimes even showing some telegrams.

I will remove the endpoint and reset the lorawan device and build it from scratch and fingers crossed.

I will also remove the portforwarding rules, and this is also making it a bit more relaxed for me, since in that case also risks are removed from the internal network.

Thanks, keep you posted about the progress.
Eelco

Hi Nick, i folowed this procedure

Click Save and Reboot to finish.

If your configuration is correct,

• The gateway will blink GREEN for a few seconds until it connects to the selected WiFi network.

after connection directy the green light is blinking fast and not the green to red … system broke??
the device has an ip nr and i can ping it
if i scan the device it has no open ports
is there a way to push firmware and or test the device for malfunction?
. green led is fast blinking the gateway is added again by the console. The CLI shows this message when i connect with the usb cable.
C:\Users\edg\Downloads\lorawan-stack-cli_3.26.2_windows_amd64>ttn-lw-cli user list --deleted --all
WARN The --all flag is not covered by our compatibility commitment.
WARN This means that it may not work (or behave differently) with future versions of The Things Stack.
WARN Only use the --all flag for development.
error:cmd/ttn-lw-cli/commands:unauthenticated (not authenticated with either API key or OAuth access token)
correlation_id=25ec449a83cf494db471e90c3f5c3038

could it be the device is broke or the firmware needs a manual flash (if so how do i manage this?) the device responds to a ping but when i enter http://ipnr/info there is no status page shown… or is this expected behaviour for my device type?

• Then, it will blink from GREEN to RED and vice versa for a few seconds while it connects to the server and fetches the necessary configuration.
  • Please allow 5-10 minutes for the gateway to pick up the new configuration.

The formatting of your post doesn’t make for easy reading.

The documentation says that means it is trying to connect to WiFi.

It is not a server, so I’d not expect any open ports.

No

You need to login with the CLI before you use it

sorry Nick was trying to make it a complete picture.

1. Accessing the setup and connect to the internal network and from there to the internet works.

2. Since i need a connection from the internet TTN to the lorawan gate by the console i am facing the issue the lorawan is not seen as a connected device and therefore i can’t send console messages to the gateway at least that is my assumption.

3. The main issue is there is no connection between the lora gate and ttn network.

4. My assumption is the only way to figure out what is gooing on, is do some debugging, and find out why the device worked for 2 years without any issues and now it looks braindamaged.

Is there a need of surrounding loragateways to keep my device working? My assumption no, it is a gate for my test lora devices.

Is somelone able to help me debugging this issue? the led is stil in fast blinking green led, for a full day, and not just steady green. Seems technically the device is working, i can add it to the wifi network, i get some data see image…

Does someone a solution to reset the while also the ttn site and or help me to get this working again?

I have the feeling somewhere the chain is broke, but how can i rebuild the chain?

eelco

The next thing to try is a different network - either tethering to a mobile phone or someone else’s WiFi.

Each time do a hard reset of the device so it is completely blanked.

The TTIG is pretty simple and there are tens of thousands out there working right now. Usually the issue is over thinking the install and something about the host WiFi that is out of the ordinary - home routers and ISPs do all sorts of things that they don’t document until we dig really hard.

I’ve a metric F tonne of electronic hardware at various levels of sophistication the vast majority of which I’ve totally failed to break despite some pretty determined attempts to do something silly with them. This includes a selection of TTIGs, some of which I’ve taken apart to rehouse. So at present I’d assume the TTIG is OK but there is something else going on.

Also, please stop appealing to my good nature via PM - it’s a waste of your time, irritating as hell and won’t magic any extra information out of me - if I want to reply I will and thus far I have done. If you contract me to help solve the problem, the first bill would include the price of a new TTIG as commercially they are sufficiently inexpensive that it is cheaper to buy a new one than spend lots of time messing about - but only after you’ve tried both a mobile phone tether or a different router/ISP combo.

Nick, i made a reset again put my phone in accesspoint mode and connected the gateway to the accesspoint. I removed the current wifi ssid in a way only the phone accesspoint is used. After reset the green light starts blinking fast what means like the other situation there is an internet connection But in ttn gateway console the device is shown as not connected.

There is one area that puzzels me:
When you start in ttn console with no gateway and add one the EUI is not required but how does the device in that case is recognised as a device managed by me? The device tries to connect to ttn, it has a mac adres and could have as i do a EUI number. To add a relation between the registered gateway and the fact it is mine how is this done if i don’t use a EUI number?? Are there some background scripts when i use the console that knows my internal network ? If i enter the EUI number i could understand the logics since i am the only one that has this number on the device and could fill it in, and then i understand ttn can recognise a registration.

Second i use when i register the EUI number during creating the gateway and folow the documentation and add the FF.FE to my current EUI number that should be correct right?

Until now the device is still not shown as connected… u will leave the device up to the phone accesspoint this night and hope the green light will stop blinking if not suggested approach:

Remove again teh TTN gateway in the TTN console and bring the lorawangate down, no power and keep it offline a few days or weeks. To give the system time to remove all cached data.
Then reset the lorawangateway again and reregister it on my internal lan, with a new clean ipnr
Then go to the TTN console and add a new gateway with the EUI nr including FF.FE and give it a new name. And from there wait for 24 hours to see if it will register and show itselfs connected?

Thanks for your help
eelco

When you setup the TTIG for WiFi it will explicitly tell you the exact EUI on the web page - you should use that - this is explained in the documentation.

I have no idea from your description what you are doing to set it up on TTN. The documentation is clear about claiming the TTIG using the EUI and the WiFi password.

Use the docs. Please.

I was puzzled by this:

I restarted the whole procedure folowed again the manual the gateway is blinking green and 4 times a second as described, i will leave it the next 24 hours and see if it works. When i had the device new and added it 2 years ago it worked without any issues, thanks for your support fingers crossed.
And … it is a matter of not giving up … pppfff i have it working again … i have still no clue why but after all the retrys now it acted exactly as it did 2 years ago, and we are up and running again !

Thanks for your time and patience …

Eelco

It is always amazing how reading the docs helps :wink:

Nick, i am quite some time active in the open source world, and please cut this kind of sarcastic replys, i did read the manuals over and over the last days, if needed i can share you my browsing history.

I am used to help others, and i would not reach out to this forum if i had not tried all options that where in the documentation.

It is not verry ethical to give a kick back if someone gives an update, thanks and also describes what has been done, and what worked or not worked.

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/thethingsindoor/
https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/gateways/models/thethingsindoorgateway/
he gateway EUI. The EUI of the gateway is not the WiFi MAC address printed on the back of the gateway, but is derived from the first number that typically is of the form 58A0CBxxxxxx , printed on the top of the sticker below the QR code. For example, if that number is 58A0CB800BE7 , sert **FFFE after the first 6 characters to make it a 16 character Gateway EUI (e.g. 58A0CBFFFE800BE7).

the questions i asked are based on those documents…

Anyway thanks for at least your time and support

Eelco

This was my first post.

It took you until post #10 to do so and along the way you harassed me via Private Messages and you say my observation is unethical because I was reinforcing that the solution was to follow the documentation? Really?

You marked your own post as being the solution, which it was not, the solution was to follow the documentation that has been refined by TTI staff and was extensively tested by me for TTI when the TTIG claim system was setup.

There is absolutely no point asking for help and then doing your own thing until you happen for reasons unknown to try following the advice.

Congratulations, I think you’ve managed to be that last straw and I’ll stick to providing paid for support.