The Things Industries The Things UNO

My Windows 10 says it is using a Arduino LLC driver for an Arduino Leonardo.

As the Windows installer tends to ask many questions about which drivers are OK (like we’d know) so there is a possibility that they didn’t all get the thumbs up - perhaps try a re-install?

You’ll also need TheThingsNetwork Uno library as well, once you’ve got it connected.

You will be able to start new topics after you’ve read enough other topics - it’s just a spam prevention measure.

Look under the device manager or whatever they are calling it these days and see if you can get the USB VID & PID of the device, and post those.

In part this would help rule out a hardware issue.

Also try a different cable, and if possible, a different computer.

In theory I think it is also possible for the ATmega32u4 chip to lose the bootloader software that makes it able to speak USB. That can be restored at least with the use of a programmer (including another Arduino acting as a programmer) but it’s a little bit tricky as a process - you can look up generic info on that for the Arduino Leonardo which uses the same base chip (the designation as an “Uno” is unfortunate as it is quite false and misleading; it has none of the characteristics that separate the Arduino Uno from other models but is rather comparable to the “Leonardo”).

@cslorabox when the Uno is inserted, a ‘Unknown USB Drive (Device Descriptor Request Failed)’ is listed in the ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ section of ‘Device Manager’.

In the ‘Events’ tab of that, there are some entries, but the timestamps are from 2 months ago, so I’m not sure if they are relevant.

For your reference, they are:
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&14d171db&0&3

I’ve tried two different computers already.

@descartes I selected ‘Install’ for all the driver options which Arduino IDE asked me to install. I didn’t get the option for an Arduino LLC driver, just the ones listed.

@cslorabox @descartes I tried a different cable and it’s working now! It appears cable supplied with the Uno was a duff one.

2 Likes

Can you tell me what style of your connecting cable is? I have the same problem as you. The computer can’t recognize the device. Could you share it with me

It’s just a known good USB cable that has data connections - you can’t tell the difference from the outside of them and if you look inside, that usually breaks them.

Thank you for your reply. I changed my computer. Now, the problem is solved. Now, the new problem is that my board’s request to join the nearby gateway was refused to join. I have several problems.

If I want to use the peripheral free gateway, do I need to buy “the things stack discovery - free tier” first so that I can use the gateway provided?

My UNO’s Appui is all 0. I see that there are numbers in the demo video. Will this affect my experiment?

My thinking is to use UNO to send data to the gateway. Can I finish this thinking by only using one UNO board?

Thank you.

You do not have to buy any TTS tier, the community network works fine.

Have you studied the basics of LoRaWAN and know what the EUIs and keys are used for? And did you create an application in V3 to which you added the device?

Thank you for your reply,I’m still learning by myself from this website.
I created the application and added a device to it, according to this video“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8oJHZ9Q7U ”。
But my sending result is
“Sending: mac join otaa
Join not accepted: denied
Check your coverage, keys and backend status.”
It didn’t work, so I want to know how to modify it.
Thank you.

You would benefit from learning more than a 6½ YouTube video can teach you.

Try this: Home | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN

Help!!
I bought a new Things UNO from a local electronics store but out of the box i couldn’t program it with the arduino IDE. there was a program on it cause on startup some leds started flashing. even putting it in bootloader mode (fading pin 13 led) would’nt work. so i decided i wanted to reflash the bootloader but the flashing fails with this error: avrdude: Device signature = 0x000003
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega32U4 is 1E 95 87.

i am 100% sure my flash tool works! i tested it by flashing a different arduino!
Can anyone help me???

Which different Arduino? As in which model?

The TTUno isn’t actually an Uno, it’s a Leonardo in an Uno form-factor, so you need to select Leonardo when programming it, once you’ve got the boot loader back on it again.

1 Like

An Arduino leonardo i used.

Maybe a bit of a late reply for this post of my issue above. I thought maybe i will help someone in the future. But i recently picked it up again and solved it myself. The Things UNO uses a internal clock to run. My board seemed to got bricked by my first attempt in uploading my bootloader, i think i had the wrong bootloader firmware. This bricked my internal clock and my microcontroller didn’t start anymore. I got my clock to start again by attaching an digital pin from an seperate arduino that “acts” as an external clock signal directly to the Xtal 1 pin of the Mega32u4 chip of the things uno board. for the time being. this way i could burn the bootloader and let it take over the internal clock again.

I thought my board is already bricked what do i have to lose but it worked!

Source that i used:

1 Like

Hi.

I also have the problem with the OTAA connection and the message, “Join not accepted: denied
Check your coverage, keys and backend status.” Is there anyone among the users who had this problem and was able to solve it?

Thank you.

Probably about a fifth of first time posts are about being unable to connect so there’s a lot of material on the forum.

• Do you have your own gateway?
  • If so, does it show a join request on the TTN console for the gateway?
  • If so, what RSSI & SNR does it report for the join request?
  • If so, does it show a join accept being transmitted? (this will also appear in the device console)
  • If so, how far apart are your device & gateway?

Hi Nick, thanks for the quick response.

The whole thing is a bit mysterious, because it is possible to connect to a public Lora gateway about 1km away via ABP. The TTN console shows me the following values for received signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio for this type of connection: Data rate SF7BW125, SNR 2.2, RSSI -116. Sometimes a little more or a little less, but always in this range.

However, this connection type also has a small problem. When i press the Things Uno reset button, i can see a few moments later in the serial monitor of the Arduino IDE, that messages are being sent again. In TTN under live data, however, the reception of data is not resumed. This only works again if i delete the end device and create a new one, then TTN Live data sees the messages again.

Basically the distance to the gateway doesn’t seem to be a problem and i know roughly what configurations i have to make on TTN and on the Things Uno. That’s why i don’t understand why OTAA doesn’t work.

I have also tried different firmware variants. I have tried 1.0.3, 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and the problems are the same.

thx

That is the replay attack prevention mechanism LoRaWAN has build in. At reset your node starts transmitting with a frame counter that is reset as well. LoRaWAN specifies all packets with a frame counter not exceeding the last one successfully received should be ignored as they might be a replay attack.

Do you see join requests in the TTN console? If so, what SF are those? Keep in mind SF12 join requests with the RN modules used on the board are known not to work (search the forum if you want more information)
If you aren’t seeing the join requests you need to check the EUIs and byte order of them.

Hi Jac.

Every time I try to join The Things Uno with the gateway, two messages appear in the live data window of the TTN console:

Accept join-request, DevAddr 260BBD87
and
Successfully processed join-request.

The Uno reports:

Join not accepted: denied

This is then repeated constantly, even after a reset on the Uno and SF7 was used, if I’m not mistaken.

thx

There is no need to guess, the join request line contains all the details.

@descartes asked a number of questions, please answer all of them so we get the pertinent information and do not need to play 20 questions to help. (We don’t enjoy to have to repeat ourselves over and over with every help request, help us help you please)