The Things Industries The Things UNO

The search link I provided from my bookmarks yields the post that was linked to above as the very first entry. And you gave no indication that you’d searched the forum. What search terms did you use?

1 Like

I thought there might be some kind of “official” document from TTN! So basically I split the sheath and solder to the two outer pads, and the inner core goes to the left hand side of R18, removing R18 in the process, does that sound right?

I’d get a U.Fl connector - marginally more robust but yes, the two outer pads are ground and the centre for the core, remove R18, glue 1cm of cable to the PCB because if you lift the track, your board will need some delicate repairs.

Thanks Nick, much appreciated.

Hello.

I recently purchased a Things Uno and a Things Network Indoor Gateway. Everything is working and I managed to get a little sketch working that logged data to the TTNMapper project.

Neat!

I’ve got a project I’m working on where I don’t have wired power and am thinking about incorporating solar power.

I ran across an interesting looking battery shield that can be charged by a solar panel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7YJL12/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2LMGGU6LHZ0J7

I’m concerned if I use this shield, the Lithium ion battery, being so close, might negatively impact the antenna on the Things Uno.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

John

That does look like a very impressive piece of RF shielding, Gucci black & stealth bomber shapped.

You could look for a shield that supports an external battery so it’s not covering the Uno board… Or search the forum / Google for the external antenna modification so you can have the antenna away from that shield.

1 Like

Thanks! – It’s a little expensive, but I might pick one up to test out for other projects… I’ll probably end up with an external battery charging module for a 3.7V Lithium Ion cell and then use a Boost module to get up to a regulated 5V for the Uno. (Bulkier, but won’t get in the way of the antenna.)

Hi again.

Another antenna-related question – What is the antenna pattern for the Things Uno board’s PCB antenna?

I’m putting my unit in a plastic enclosure and it will be mounted to a pole. What’s the best orientation for the Uno?

I’m assuming I want the long axis of the Uno parallel to the long axis of my dipole antenna on my outdoor gateway, but I’m not sure. RF has a way of being counter-intuitive! :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Regards,
John

Whatever the pattern I suspect if pole is metallic you may find shadow effect/reduced signal in that direction and if too close may see some de-tuning of antenna, though that may apply more to much larger antenna. May be worth mounting a bit away from the pole, say >1/2 wavelength? Best way to find out is test :slight_smile: no doubt others will chime in with better knowledge & expertise…

Thanks, Jeff.
I was thinking of using some ABS pipe as the last part of the mounting structure for the same reason. Maybe I’m over-thinking it, but hey, that’s what engineering types do!

I saw a bunch of people with the same issue as me in this thread but nobody posted a solution…
Adriono IDE returns this:
Sending: mac join otaa
Join not accepted: denied
Check your coverage, keys and backend status.

But when i look on the gateway it says the join IS accepted and shows som payload data…

I have the TTN UNO and the TTN Gateway (backers edition)

Why isn’t the UNO behaving properly?

Do you have at least 5 meters distance between the gateway and the node to make sure the gateways transmissions do not overload the nodes receiver circuit?

Well… that’s misleading.

There is no such thing as “denied” in LoRaWan - there is merely, “did not receive an accept”. - but that could either because the request was not accepted, or because there was a communication issue in either direction, including a confusion over frequency if a node too close to a gateway overloads it and falsely appears on channels other than the true one.

But when i look on the gateway it says the join IS accepted and shows som payload data…

Please be specific: Please show both the join request message, and the resulting join accept response.

Hi,
Yeah… you are right. It’s simply things being too close together. I moved the GW up to the attic and now the TTN UNO no longer shows connection errors.
Thanks for your quick responce.
Jonathan

Hi, I posting here as I can’t seem to create a new topic as a new user.

I’ve recently purchased a Things Uno and I’m trying to get it working with Windows 10, but without success.

I’ve installed the Arduino IDE 1.8.13 and I selected to install drivers as part of the process.

This installed:

• Adafruit Industries LLC Ports
  • Arduino USB Driver

I then rebooted and inside Arduino IDE I installed ‘TheThingsNetwork’ library.

I then connected the Things Uno via USB using the supplied cable.

However, on connection Windows 10 complains ‘USB Device not recognized’.

FYI, two green LEDs show on the Uno when it’s connected via USB.

I’ve tried updating the drivers by pointing them at the Arduino installation drivers directory, but after scanning the directory, Windows says it has the most recent drivers installed.

I’ve also tried pressing the reset button on the Uno twice which should put it into boat loader mode for about 8 seconds, but it still isn’t recognised as a valid USD device by Windows 10.

I am running Windows 10, version 20H2.

Because the Uno is not being recognised, the device doesn’t show in Ardunio IDE in Tools → Ports, so I can’t select it to send programs to the Uno.

Any help / assistance you can provide would be great.

Thanks.

My Windows 10 says it is using a Arduino LLC driver for an Arduino Leonardo.

As the Windows installer tends to ask many questions about which drivers are OK (like we’d know) so there is a possibility that they didn’t all get the thumbs up - perhaps try a re-install?

You’ll also need TheThingsNetwork Uno library as well, once you’ve got it connected.

You will be able to start new topics after you’ve read enough other topics - it’s just a spam prevention measure.

Look under the device manager or whatever they are calling it these days and see if you can get the USB VID & PID of the device, and post those.

In part this would help rule out a hardware issue.

Also try a different cable, and if possible, a different computer.

In theory I think it is also possible for the ATmega32u4 chip to lose the bootloader software that makes it able to speak USB. That can be restored at least with the use of a programmer (including another Arduino acting as a programmer) but it’s a little bit tricky as a process - you can look up generic info on that for the Arduino Leonardo which uses the same base chip (the designation as an “Uno” is unfortunate as it is quite false and misleading; it has none of the characteristics that separate the Arduino Uno from other models but is rather comparable to the “Leonardo”).

@cslorabox when the Uno is inserted, a ‘Unknown USB Drive (Device Descriptor Request Failed)’ is listed in the ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ section of ‘Device Manager’.

In the ‘Events’ tab of that, there are some entries, but the timestamps are from 2 months ago, so I’m not sure if they are relevant.

For your reference, they are:
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&14d171db&0&3

I’ve tried two different computers already.

@descartes I selected ‘Install’ for all the driver options which Arduino IDE asked me to install. I didn’t get the option for an Arduino LLC driver, just the ones listed.

@cslorabox @descartes I tried a different cable and it’s working now! It appears cable supplied with the Uno was a duff one.

2 Likes

Can you tell me what style of your connecting cable is? I have the same problem as you. The computer can’t recognize the device. Could you share it with me