The Things Industries The Things UNO

How can I get the Things UNO board in India?

update.
i finally had some time this past weekend to try this again.
After reading i decided to try burning the bootloader option via the ICSP programmer even though my windows10 says it is not recognized on the COM port. IT WORKED. Lights blinked, AVR Dude said verified. I then unplugged the ICSP programmer, restarted Arduino IDE, plugged in the TTN UNO via micro USB cord and it recognized and could run the TTN examples code.
Now for some more testing and sensors and burn the bootloader on the 2nd UNO i bought.

The TTN quick startup page SHOULD have a note about using an ICSP programmer and burning the bootloader if the unit does not recognize out of the box. This would have saved me hours. I know i am a newbie at Arduino and related TTN programming, but the TTN pitch seems to be at tinkerers and is what convinced me to try these. I did not have to burn the bootloader on the 2 NODE units i purchased.

The nodes should have had the right firmware as well. I canā€™t recall having heard of anyone needing to program the bootloader into a new device.

1 Like

I agree with @kersing that the Uno should have arrived with a bootloader pre-burned into it. If this is not the case you better tell the supplier so that they an fix the issue on their side.

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coverage for Cragg Vale

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coverage for Cragg Vale

Did a walk test today to see what the range was with my 2 gateways: very good results. However, i noticed that when the Uno couldnā€™t reach either gateway for about 10-15 minutes it powered off. The sketch was the ā€œsend 1 byte every 10 secondsā€ one. The power supply was a 20,000mAh powerbank. Pressing the reset button failed to revive it, so i can only assume it had actually powered off. Anyone else had this problem?

Was it the power bank shutting down ?

A lot of them will do that when the current being used drops below a certain level for a particular time.

2 Likes

How would it know its transmissions were not received?

Good point! I know that Uno draws very little current so the powerbank may just be showing its normal behaviour under these conditions. Iā€™ll need to do more testing, perhaps using the barrel connector.

I was viewing the TTN console on my phone, and also had the TTN Mapper app running at the same time. I canā€™t carry my laptop around the streets, unfortunately :grin: I could see from the counter field on the console that it was dropping transmissions when it was out of range.

As per a previous question, how would the Things UNO ā€˜knowā€™ that it was out of range ?

I can only go by the fact that the TTN console was not showing any communications from the UNO, and when I believed it to be back in range, the counter number was not sequential.

Sorry, I should have been less cryptic in my earlier response. :slight_smile:

Devices donā€™t connect to gateways, but just transmit and hope that one or more gateways receive their radio transmission. They donā€™t know if any gateway received it (unless using confirmed uplinks, which you should not do every 10 seconds and which I assume you would have mentioned).

So, itā€™s not likely that powering off is related to the transmissions being received or not.

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™d like to buy The Things Uno board. Iā€™m from the Philippinesā€¦do you have any suggestion where I could buy it? I tried looking up to the RS website but it doesnā€™t ship to the Phils. Not sure about farnell though. But is there any other asian market which sells this board? Thanks in advance.

Hi, Iā€™ve just started working on TTN uno; it connects, I see messages and all seems work as expected; now itā€™s time to start sendint real data instead of fake data, so I have to start connecting sensor; as my understanding digital pin 0,1, 5 are not available because used by RN module, is it correct? are all other PINs available?

Hi where can I find a tutorial to solder on an external antenna? Thanks.

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/search?q=things%20uno%20antenna

Nick that wasnā€™t very helpful - first thing I did was a search :frowning: Thereā€™s an article from 2016 which refers to the following instructions, but the link is broken:
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/schematic-things-uno/3020/3

Jou may follow this link : Modifications needed for external antenna on the Things Uno