The WORKBENCH part 2

Not sure I see the value of that one…
They trimmed down memory, the main difference with the Zero is the processor which brings the problems we now of the 3B+…

exactly… processing it’s much faster

if you need better (faster) sd cards… try these (I’m a fan :wink: )

Which is useless for TTN — but I agree for other things it can help.

Although all in all I would prefer a device with more memory than a faster processor.

More CPU grunt ok if you want to run more on the GW but I’ve had no problems with the amount of proc power on the 0W’s (so far). I tend to follow KISS and minimise what is on a GW if poss - means less uSD wear and less heat/less power consumption.

A lot of my GW’s get uses for ‘pop-up’s’ where I set up a GW for a short test or trial - either for myself or a client - and spend a few hours mapping area coverage/doing surveys or checking reach to specific locations of interest to clients. These tend to be run off USB power banks. Run times can be as short as <4 hrs allowing a quick mornings or afternoons testing after client discussions or where I want to run a quick check myself or if I use Pi0W’s can get 6 or even 8 hrs - enough for longer range surveys and longer times collecting data…in case of delays returning to GW I like to have an hour or 2 spare capacity so there is no risk of GW shutting down under power loss - potentially corrupting uSD card forcing image rebuild or in the case of self contained units potentially loosing any gathered trial data - as I have time to get back and trigger graceful shutdown to allow for close out or simple battery swap and then restart :slight_smile: The fact @Charles RPi0W/RAK831 i/f card has button for shutdown means I don’t even need to log onto GW through a local network to trigger shutdown as I do with other RPi/831 based systems - self builds or Pilots or with the iMST Lite GW - allowing very fast battery swap and back up and running!.

I’m compiling a short list of GW power consumptions (a bit unscientific but indicative!) to publish on the TTN forum, having already mentioned some already in other threads. Many GW’s designed to run off higher PSU/Wall-wart voltages will in fact run off 5VUSB power banks esp if at higher end of voltage spec under load. Classic one I often use is the Laird RG186 which is fine as long as the 5V ramp is sharp enough - otherwise have discovered it may fall foul of the brown out circuitry and power up a basic system but not go through full power on reset and start interfaces…

Of course lower power consumption are more amenable to deployment as Solar Powered installs - more 0W territory than RPi3B+ :wink: I also liked the RP2 but I gather they now build using same MCU as RP3 bringing the other issues commented elsewhere (SPI timing etc.).

1 Like

interesting opinion… I disagree (that’s old PC era thinking :wink: )

social media tycoons like FB/GOOGLE for example, have a problem that processors in (new) phones are not fast enough for all the AI that’s coming, that’s ready in the LAB’s.
They want more AI (pre) processing power in your hand over everything cloud based.

better and optimised code would also help alot

Old thinking is to keep adding processing power in stead of optimizing algorithms. :smile:

For lorawan gateways processing power is not the bottleneck (when looking at RPis). Memory can be tight at times.

If the AI crowd requires more processing power they will have to wait a couple of years. Current mobiles have over 100 times the processing power of my first PC.

A worry is the environmental impact of all our IoT devices and smart phones. Where I drastically reduced energy consumption of our household some years ago I notice an increase over the last few years due to smart assistants, smart lights (always using a little power in stead of an on/off switch) etc etc

3 Likes

My doctor told me to get away from my computers more and exercise.
So I installed the app.

x1201

and ordered the BT transmitter :sunglasses:

• hmmm… I payed US$24.99 (38% of wow !) but just see the same G26s on eBay now for U$ $16.86 :weary:
1 Like

mobile-ant
magic sticks :smirk:

We are continuing in The WORKBENCH part 3