The WORKBENCH part 3

yes tnx. but I was responding to Jeff with his I2C temp sensing chips :wink:

1 Like

@Jeff-UK I have only tried this with single row headers and of course this assumes that your PiZero WH has straight pins and not 90degree…

If you hold the plastic part on a row of male header pins you can push the individual pins in and out of the plastic. They are just a friction fit. It is possible to slide the plastic separator off pins that are already installed on a PCB if you work it carefully up from the PCB. You can slide the plastic separator onto the pins on the opposite side of the board.

Depending on the application there may be enough pin sticking through the board once the plastic has been moved but in the worst case some heat on the pins one by one will allow you to move them through both the PCB and the plastic guide. Probably a good idea to flow some fresh solder on each pin after you have them all set the right length in the PCB to avoid dry joints as you may have drawn solder with the pin.

HTH, Garry

…fixed that for you there @BoRRoZ

#thenewarduino

1 Like

If I get desperate I might try that - have done something similar on smaller - 10-16 pin 0.1 pitch headers in the past - heating the plastic with a heatgun makes it easier to pull the plastic off then as you say reflow each pin and push through as far as practical and level/even up :slight_smile: . One issue is the solder that comes with the pins then either making pin too thick for new socket use or causing a potential corrosion/poor joint problem longer term…ok on quick turn re-usable projects & development recycling but not what I want for a long term, possibly hard to reach GW deployments :wink:

x1216

x1218

wasted a few hours ‘bughunting’ … I just forgot to use pull up resistors on the I2C bus :roll_eyes:

short explanation idea/experiment :

this (allready joined @home) mobile device transmits, after the push of a button, 3 single bytes packets (with some interval time)
1 on SF 7
1 on SF 9
1 on SF 12

@home I will have a dedicated RPI with an application that responds when received one (or more) of these packets.
The device responds by sending then it’s location from GPS (when there’s a sat lock)

The application receives the coordinates and calculates the distance(s) between the gateway(s) that received the signal and the device location.
The application (mini server) sends the calculated distance / RSSI / SNR back to the device where its displayed.

so basically its a handheld mapper :sunglasses: without the need of a phone when it works I can think of ‘automatic / continue modes’ nice thing is that the data is immediate available @home

with some fantasy , a faster processor/more memory and a programmable attenuator/compass you can use it to find gateways ? :smirk:

2 Likes

Another load of goodies arrived (very early c/w expected dely date!) today thanks to our friends @rakwireless & @kenyu

2 (more) x RAK831 Concentrator Modules, 1 (more) x Pilot GW & most importantly 4 x WiseTrio 5205 Tracker modules ready for test/eval.

The latter very nicely packed in quality plastic boxes, though I do wonder if the old (recycled?) cardboard boxes not cheaper & better for the environment :thinking: …still the boxes will be kept and used for holding projects & components once tests finished :slight_smile:

With the recent buy of (yet another) RPi0W I can now finish another GW based on @Charles bd and another RPi2 based build using RAK i/f bd…add those to the new Pilot and that should be another 3 GW’s added & registered on TTN in next week of so once i have time to set up. :smile:

Problem - which to play with first - GW’s or the Trio5205’s?! :thinking:

4 Likes

Constructing LoRaWAN nodes using TTN Uno and a cusom shield for IoT Class. 7 of 9 ready. 13 to go!

4 Likes

x1219
3.2" - NX4024T032 - 400*240 - 4 mb flash

x1220
4.3" - NX4827T043 - 480*272 - 16 mb flash

decided to use the bigger (4.3" ) touchscreen.
pro : more info on one page / easier to navigate
con: power consumption / size

this is the gui idea

example1

powerbank

big diy powerbank from 2800 x 18650’s :astonished:
source :FB group DIY Powerwalls

1 Like

My job for tonight: Modifying antenna matching of these KISS LoRa gadgets. Whish me luck with 0402!

5 Likes

:thinking: Look interesting…what are they? (Details…details…! :wink: )

and good glasses.
what helps is to drink a wiskey before your start (ask Jeff) :wink:

Good luck, what is the mod?

Simple: this one: How to connect Utrecht E&A exhibition KISS LoRa to TTN? Antenna matching has to be modified

1 Like

Happy to have a microscope here (borrowed mine of my oldest son)

1 Like

I recently started with SMD in 0805 size for the Mini-Lora, and that is going well, but 0402 would be beyond what I can see and most probably can handle :roll_eyes:

Have fun!

1 Like

Whiskey?..Not this Jeff! :wink: …now those bottles you sometime have :wink: …and besides with my eyes its nothing smaller that 0603’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

KISS LoRa Gadget was a project you could collect at WOTS, a fair on electronics and more in the Netherlands:

in Dutch:
https://www.elektormagazine.nl/news/kiss-lora-gadget-voor-engineers

The node is a RN4283 with HTU21, accelerometer, leds, light intensity sensor and rotary switch.

1 Like

Just found out that I had ordered the wrong value for the capcitor :sweat::sleepy::tired_face:
Finished the job half. So twice the fun of 0402!

1 Like