Trying to "re-claim" old indoor gateway

Just to satisfy curiosity, this is what happens when trying to claim the GW again - perhaps this will help others with the same issue.

[moderator] Pictures with ‘secrets’ deleted.

Suggests prior deletion hasn’t taken or some residue stuff in claim database…. Krishna is your man to get that sorted :slight_smile: drop that picture of back of device label to him on PM per his request and he can fix I’m sure….

already done :wink: thanks again!

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem. My gateway stucks flashing green fast. After removing from the console I am now not be able to claim it again. Could you release it so that I can claim it again.

Gateway EUI58-A0-CB-FF-FE-80-53-DC

WiFi AP MAC58:A0:CB:80:53:DC

WiFi STA MAC98:CD:AC:17:31:5A

Serial NumberTBMH100868015360

MFG date2022-12-23 17:42:48

FW Build2020-05-07 16:03:53

FW Version2.0.4

Core Version2.0.4(minihub/debug)

No one here, all volunteers including the moderators, have access to the TTN backend systems.

You’ll have to post on #support on Slack - forum search will assist.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Shame you didn’t post more details - turns out you were posting the weekly “Gateway ID already used” which is all over the forum - searching for answers before posting is highly recommended.

1 Like

EDIT: I fixed it, had to register via EUI and change the gateway-id manually. Thanks

No, I can provide more informations. I went to slack and followed the instructions but no success so far…

Hi, another case of loss of access to a TTIG. I’m a teacher, and in January, with my pupils, we tested LoRa and TTN, and they register gateway, and now I can’t access it.
Reading post I saw that it´s possible to know nick of who have registered a gateway if you know EUI (58a0cbfffe803ad2).
How?
That could help me, because my pupils will not return to the institute for another month.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve bought a TTIG on ebay and discovered afterwards that it isn’t always easy to transfer ownership.

But i wonder if all the outlined trouble is only a result of non-deleting the gw within the old account?

So should it work if the previous owner deletes the gateway on console and i use a new gateway-id?

Or must the cli procedure (ttn-lw-cli gateways claim authorize ) performed anyway?
And if “yes”, so i suppose this must be done by the previous owner?

Apart from this, the TTIG seems to be not recognized as TTIG since i end up in the manual registration when entering the gateway eui for claiming. Or can this also a result of not releasing the gw from the previous owner? Shouldn’t there be an error message instead?

The MAC address of the device is 44:17:93:22:77:79.
So the GW EUI should be 441793fffe227779 ?

But at first i will try to contact the seller again.

If the gateway is still registered, have the previous owner add you as collaborator with full rights. Then you can delete the previous owner.

But why can’t the previous owner delete the gateway himself?

On the label on the back! MAC is the WiFi MAC and for the TTIG (Model TMBH100xxx) is not used to create the GW EUI. All the TTIG’s I have seen the numers start 58a0cbxxxxxxxxxx.

As Jac suggests collaboration switch may be easiest but if previously deleted then register (again) with correct EUI, system should then recognise as a TTIG!, and if it offers a GW ID based on EUI ignore and overwrite to your own convenience as possibly used by prior owner…

Some people delete their TTN accounts - forgetting to delete devices and GW’s first, hav also (sadly post COVID pandemic) seem GW’s put up for sale after original user/owner has died and peope selling have not known what to do…remember also always be cautious with ebay purchases - not unknown for devices such as GW’s to be passed on and stollen so original owner may not have deleted (or even be aware it had dissapeared!), and physical possession (and hence access to the WiFi pwd as a ‘claim’ code, is no proof of actual ownership :wink:

Yes the previous owner can delete the gateway, however reregistration takes more effort and is more error prone then transferring it the other way.
I am not suggesting to delete the gateway, I am suggesting to change the owner. Note that I didn’t suggest to delete the gateway but to delete the previous owner (from the list of collaborators).

Hm, i do not understand why it should be more error prone to reregister the gateway, but certainly you are right.
Apart from that i’m afraid i could be glad if the former owner would delete the Gateway in his list.
I suppose the procedure of changing the owner needs even more cooperation.

For a start you didn’t get the details on the EUI which is what you will need to claim it. And if it’s not deleted OK you may well be faced with other issues that prevent claiming.

So if it’s already setup, why not leave the setup in place and just transfer it by asking for your user id to be entered as a collaborator with full access - it’s no harder than deleting it and you won’t have to then try to claim it.

You are of course free to do it any way you think is best, but you did ask for guidance!

Please don’t get me wrong: Of course i appreciate your guidance! It’s only i try to understand the details.

The problem has been solved in the meantime:
There exist two different MAC addresses: WiFi AP MAC and WIFI STA MAC.
Only the second one is printed on the label of the device. But its the wrong one to derive the gateway eui from. The setup page instead shows all necessary information.

By the way: What is the STA MAC used for?

Moreover the seller deleted the gateway already within ttn console. And i was able to claim the gateway as it was a new one.
So i do not quite understand what you mean with “you didn’t get the details on the EUI which is what you will need to claim it.” - There were no further details necessary.

But i would admit that your suggested procedure may be easier if one has administrative control over the account of the selling person. Or at least the selling person knows what to do.

This:

But as you’ve discovered

Yes, quite, following the published setup instructions from the creator of the device is often key.

Please take time out to look at all the headings in all of the documentation (linked bottom right of every console page), make use of the hints (a ? in a circle) and if this is your first outing with LoRaWAN, read all of https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/lorawan/ - it will take a few viewings of the video for it to all sink in - but all of the Learn section is core info. It’s all volunteers answering on here, so we are often more responsive to informed questions!

I presume that’s the MAC address when it’s in ‘normal’ mode and the AP one is for when it’s being a mini-web server for setup purposes. Not sure why there would be two. Don’t really care/mind, I use TTIG’s, I’ve got several plugged in around the office & house, I hold stock to send to clients having a gateway emergency, they mostly (99.99% of the time) just work. Too many other details to rabbit hole down with LoRaWAN / IoT!