TTIG Problems, - no location data, wrong date/time, wrong channel and stability issues

Hi, I have a TTIG now. Within several hours I found some serious errors and I can not find a workaround.
In application metadata I receive crippled information:

1. channel is always 0.
  2. date/time is 1970-01-01…
  3. no longitude
  4. no latitude
  5. no altitude
    20190904_234114
    The second gateway is a TTIG.

Another serious issue is:
when I plug off the TTIG and then plug it in again, then the TTIG boots up, receives only one data package, then it doesn’t receive anything, or maybe does not send it to ttn network. It shows the green LED, but is does not work anymore. If I press setup for 10s, wait until red LED blinks slowly, then pressing setup for 5s again, then it reboots and runs normally. If there is a power loss, it hangs again

Can somebody check this isues on his TTIG and confirm?

My TTIG has
FW Build 2018-12-06 09:30:37
FW version 2.0.0
Core version 2.0.0 (minihub/debug).

Is this the current firmware? Or is there a newer one?

Regardless of the GPS entered in the backend, it will not be transferred.
CheckItBeforeUseIt!
After you have successfully connect it to TTN:
Try “wget http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways/<THE-EUI_FROM_TTIG>” on your linux-console like
wget http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways/eui-58a0cbfffe8020ca
You resolve in json:
<==snip==>
{
“timestamp”:“2019-09-04T20:49:49.809608067Z”,
“uplink”:“536”,
“location”:
{
},
“frequency_plan”:“EU_863_870”,
“gps”:
{
},
“time”:“1567630189809608067”,
“rx_ok”:536
}
<==snap==>
Therefore, the TTIG is currently not really usable (TTN Mapper, QoS, MQTT, RSSI-Meassurement,…).
FixItBeforeSellIT!
11.7. Ordered – 28.08. delivered – 5.09. thrown to the trash
TheThingsIndustry should take the matter seriously, otherwise the fun backfires.

1 Like

My customers were waiting for a long time to get their ordered TTIGs. Now I have to tell them that the device has some serious bugs. It’s not even possible to fix it myself, because the firmware ist not open source.
I didn’t know that the TTIG is such a experimental hardware, this was not said before. If I had known, I would not have bought a lot of them. It feels like a rip-off.
Is it possible to get the money back? Or will there be a fix in the next time?

1 Like

Same Results here. Was this expected performance? I didn’t think it was.

1 Like

Ok, do you confirm that the firmware has this serious bugs?
I need a proof for my supplier, that the device is not working correctly

I think most users did not check this problem yet. If they know, they will complain. Btw this bugs are existent, no matter how many users have complained yet.

If you are a ‘big’ client like you said, and bought many devices I am sure that your supplier take you serious when complaining.

You have gps data? I and several others have it not. Can you please check the firmware version of your TTIG? Is it the same as mine?

Not as big, but I invested about 500 euros in TTIGs. Maybe your devices are working correct, mine are not. Why do you defend the TTIG, are you a developer of it?

then we should try to find out why this is happening.
is it firmware/network related… I don’t know at this moment.

crying here 'can I get the money back ? … or ‘I thrown it in the trash’ is not really helping to solve problems imho.

a bit childish if you ask me

Maybe, but for now I will not buy more TTIGs. And I can not recommend to buy one. Until there is a fix. I can not give this current TTIG to my customers, it is far too buggy. This is sad, because the TTIG would be a great device for the price - if it would work as expected.

1 Like

.[quote=“BoRRoZ, post:11, topic:29652, full:true”]
crying here 'can I get the money back ? … or ‘I thrown it in the trash’ is not really helping to solve problems imho.

a bit childish if you ask me
[/quote]

Saying “not many are complaining like you” does not help also. The bugs are existent.

1 Like

Ok, let’s talk about debugging the problem. I think the data problem is the packet receiver of the ttn server and/or the packet forwarder of the TTIG.
The ttn server should inject the location which is set in the console/gateway/settings, but it doesn’t.
The time and channel issue maybe located in the TTIG.
The failing TTIG power loss reboot is clearly located in the TTIG. It boots and goes through a normal operation, receives and forwards some packets successfully with a time window of ca 10 Seconds. Then it gets a strange behavior, sends no heartbeats to the server and does not forward received LoRawan packets from the radio.

The last TTIG firmware is dated 2018-12 and it’s still so buggy that I checked some of this bugs it within some hours of using it. This is really sad.
If the TTIG firmware would be open source, the boot problem would have been debugged and fixed within days.

Are others using the 2.0.0 firmware without issue?
Perhaps there is an issue with this batch of gateways.

Maybe. Or it is a problem every TTIG has in the moment.
I just got a new confirmation of the location bug from USA.

@Kalle. We’ve already discussed on slack about the GPS data.

Channel number and Timestamp seem to be missing metadata on the server side.

What stability issues are you referring to?

@KrishnaIyerEaswaran2 For those not using slack, could you summarize? There have been people with other types of gateway reporting the same issue.

1 Like

So in summary,

1. The Things Indoor Gateway does not have a GPS, but you can set its location in the console. Then you’ll see it update within a couple of hours on https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/gateway-data/user/<your username> . The http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/... API should be avoided.
  2. We will investigate the incorrect timestamp and the channel field.
  3. Please tell us more about this instability. Any logs will be really helpful.

Regards,
Krishna

1 Like

Yes, we discussed already. The instability issue again:
when I plug off the TTIG and then plug it in again, then the TTIG boots up, receives only some data packages, then it doesn’t receive anything, or maybe does not send it to ttn network. It shows the solid green LED, but is does not work anymore. If I press setup for 10s, wait until red LED blinks slowly, then pressing setup for 5s again, then it reboots and runs normally. If there is a power loss, it hangs again

To debug it, can I do this with the TTIG USB port? Or have I to open the TTIG to connect the RX line to a uart adapter?

Thanks

2 Likes