TTN Gateway Won't Connect to Router

I bought a new router / modem for my house, and my indoor TTN gateway can not connect to my new router. I used my TTN gateway with my old router for almost a year with 0 problems.

Nothing else on my home network has a problem connecting to the new router.

I can connect my gateway to my phone if I create a hotstop and it connects to TTN. I can see it on the console when I log in.

Could be a firewall problem, make sure you have port 1700 open, also where in the world are you? Some ISPā€™s we know will block port1700 internet traffic and need to be kicked to open up (if they refuse change ISP - this is internet sensorship :wink: Did you change ISP at same time as router? Or is this literally the GW not taking/receiving a DHCP address in the local wired/wireless network? Which TTN GW - a TTIG or a TGW (Kickstarter)

And which router?

Hello Jeff & Descartes,

Iā€™m in Detroit Michigan USA.
No, I didnā€™t change ISP at the same time as my router.
Arris is my router / modem.
Iā€™m not sure what changed, but now I can see TTN Gateway on my home router, but not on TTN console. So I feel like Iā€™m a bit closer.
Iā€™m using a TTIG, model: TBMH100

My IT skills arenā€™t great, so I may need some guidance for checking if 1700 if open.
I followed the directions here: How to check if a port is blocked by my ISP?
I tried this:
telnet google.com 1700
and the output is:
Connecting To google.comā€¦Could not open connection to the host, on port 1700: Connect failed

Also,
On my router settings I added port forwarding for the IP address of the TTN GW, internal port 1700, external port 1700, but I cannot see my GW on TTN Console.

I also have the option of port triggering instead of port forwarding.

Thanks, dbellairs

That does not apply to TTIG.

Does your gateway obtain an IP address from the dhcp server?

For a TTIG, this would be that it canā€™t connect to the WiFi. Is this what you mean?

@kersing , @descartes

Thanks for the quick responses.

I can see my gateway obtain an IP address:

That confirms it is actually connected to your network. What is the led pattern?

Green blink at 1 Hz.

Looks like you have stumbled on a combination where WiFi doesnā€™t work. Do you happen to have an additional access point you could use?

Unfortunately no.

Iā€™m curious if thereā€™s a solution to this given that I have what looks like a similar problem.

I am in New Jersey, USA, new to LoRa ā€“ just a few days old ā€“ and trying to setup The Things Gateway.
My gateway model number is: TTN-001-915-1.0
I am following the tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJNK4y1is2Q&list=PLM8eOeiKY7JVwrBYRHxsf9p0VM_dVapXl&index=12

The gateway wonā€™t connect to the router. Iā€™ve searched around the forum and it seems to me this thread is closest to my problem.
Hereā€™s what I have done:

• Connect to the console via: https://activate.thethingsnetwork.org
  • Successfully register my gateway ā€œcyorji-lora-gatewayā€
  • Successfully connect to the gateway WIFI access point ā€œThings-Gateway-001EC062FFC0ā€, then hit ā€œContinueā€
  • Connect to my home WIFI

Immediately, I get the error message ā€œThis site canā€™t be reached. activate.thethingsnetwork.orgā€™s DNS address could not be found.ā€

Also tried connecting via the Ethernet, but got the same error.
I donā€™t have any other gateway to try. Just bought one of each of the following to start playing with:

• The Things Gateway,
  • The Things Node and
  • The Things UNO
    Thereā€™s no other gateway within a 20 miles (over 30 kilometer) radius from where I live.

I also tried ā€œtelnet google.com 1700ā€ and got the same ā€œCould not open ā€¦ā€ error message. Not sure if this is relevant.
My router is ā€œSagemcom fast 5260ā€ supplied by my ISP ā€“ Optimum

Please help if you can.

Just checked and that link is active - if you use a tablet or pc connected to the router can you open the link in a browser window?

The sequence of events isnā€™t completely clear.

You say you went to the activation site and successfully registered the gateway.

Then you got on to the TTIG access point via WiFi and configured it for your home WiFi.

Where did the message ā€œThis site canā€™t be reached ā€¦ā€ appear, ie what device where?

What device did you try connecting via Ethernet, given that the TTIG doesnā€™t have an Ethernet port?

Is it possible you left your computer in some sort of network void of thinking it was connected to the TTIG access point which wonā€™t exist anymore if it is genuinely connected to your WiFi?

What is the LED on the TTIG doing? What does the gateway console say?

He looking at a TGW not TTIG :slight_smile:

No, itā€™s definitely a TTIG because thatā€™s the topic itā€™s been posted in. Anything else would just be confusing for anyone trying to help ā€¦

:wink: Yes confusing, Problem is both the TGW & the TTIG are indoor GWā€™s! And both are TTN Gwā€™s. Covering thread (topic) title and category. As you say confusing - hence my original question to OP at top of thread. He is ā€˜new to LoRaā€™ so may not appreciate any difference & history - but called out device model number so device is clear.

The sequence of events isnā€™t completely clear.

You say you went to the activation site and successfully registered the gateway.

CORRECT

Then you got on to the TTIG access point via WiFi and configured it for your home WiFi.

Actually, it was probably wrong for me to post my problem where I did. I donā€™t think what I have is a TTIG. The package says: ā€œThe Things Gateway, Frequency 915 MHz.ā€ This probably addresses the point you raised later about the TTIG having no ethernet port. The unit I have (TTG) has an ethernet port. I am less than a week old in this, so Iā€™m still struggling with all the acronyms and what they mean. Sorry about that.

After connecting my laptop to the TTIG (or is it TTG) access point, the connection to the internet was lost.

I continued configuring my home WiFi anyway. After the Configure button was hit, the following message appears quickly on the screen and disappears:
ā€œThe settings have been sent successfully to your gateway!
Letā€™s see if it can reach the internet and activate itself successfully.ā€

The message ā€œThis site canā€™t be reached ā€¦ā€ appears immediately and stays on the console window.

What device did you try connecting via Ethernet, given that the TTIG doesnā€™t have an Ethernet port?

I alluded to this earlier. My TTG has an ethernet port.

Is it possible you left your computer in some sort of network void of thinking it was connected to the TTIG access point which wonā€™t exist anymore if it is genuinely connected to your WiFi?

Probably, but Iā€™m not sure.

What is the LED on the TTIG doing? What does the gateway console say?

On the unit, LED 1 is solid blue; 2nd LED is blinking; the rest are off.

I could not find the button to post on this forum so Iā€™m going to hijack this thread instead.
My TTIG also will not connect to my router but it connects no problem to the hotspot on the phone. Iā€™m really frustrated with this because Iā€™ve already spent 1 hour trying to get this ā€œposā€ to connect.
Iā€™m an expert in all IT and my router is working perfectly for everything else.
Iā€™m using WPA2-PSK, 802.11b/g/n mixed, with hidden SSID and AES encryption, on channel 6 with auto channel bandwidth. I can see that the gateway doesnā€™t even connect to the router at all.

Given you can connect to hotspot on phone seems WiFi on TTIG is ā€˜functionalā€™, also not aware of any general/widely reported issues wrt use of TTIG on WiFi routers - I assume when you look at the configuration page on the TTIG your TTIG is showing the AP/Router with decent signal strength? Best assumption therefore is that you have a set-up config problem most likely associated with

Are you absolutely sure you have typed correctly??? A common problem! Also if using a hidden SSID as a form of security by obscurity then suggest you google for security implications of hidden SSID - not all it is cracked up to be and actually causes devices associated with such to start broadcasting disclosing data :wink:

If I could recommend make SSID visible then try to set up again - then if you feel the need set to hidden again if TTIG worksā€¦

1 Like