TTN Roaming

I have a TTN gateway setup at my house and several temperature sensors. If I were to take the temperature sensor to another city, where a different TTN gateway existed, would I still receive my data? Or does the sensor only work with the original gateway?

The sensors will still work. Sensors are not aware of which (or how many) gateways receive their messages.

1 Like

In LoRaWAN a node (sensor) is not bound to a gateway like in WiFi, it is bound to the network. So once active a node will work anywhere if there are gateways present for that LoRaWAN network (TTN in our case) using the same frequencies the node uses. (A node for europe will not work in the USA due to differences in frequencies used)

2 Likes

So if I understand this correctly. I could use my sensor (end node) in an area where there’s many TTN registered antennas and not ever have my own antenna or gateway created in TTN? As long I create an application in TTN and register the end node I don’t have to create a gateway?

Yes, correct, but if you have any need to debug your device, it’s much easier if you have access to the gateway logs.

Like all initial posts here, without any actual detail (device, use case, where you are approximately) that anything could happen.

1 Like

Thankyou. I am undertaking a community project in an area where outdoor antennas would be limited to 2 physical antennas. RAK7249s. So I am hoping the community project would own and operate the 2 antennas while individual organizations would then be free to create their own TTN applications and register their own sensors. They would rely on the community operated antenna and TTN registered gateway to bring the data to their applications. I’m in North America and this would take place in a small town with no roaming outside of town.

That is how most TTN Communities operate and function/grow. Look here for a community near you to join…or if there isnt one - start one! :slight_smile:
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community

1 Like

Excellent!

The bit about number of antennas & gateway isn’t important - as long as they are compliant, you can have many gateways as you need to ensure coverage across your community.

Roaming is not a thing. Anyone can take a device anywhere, if it gets heard by a TTN gateway, the uplink will be passed on. No prior settings, updates or registrations are required.

If you are going to have Makers & Inventors using the network, can you setup a shared community user with read only privileges for the gateways so they can see the logs - helps so much when building your own device. All data on that console is encrypted, but they will be able to see if their device was heard.

1 Like

Is there any roaming agreement in place for TTN?
E.g. talk over Helium/KPN coverage

I had a look at Quick Start | Packet Broker Documentation
but I don’t think it’s for end users.

If you look at the TTN global map you can see an interesting statistic called out…
image - > Over 70K GW’s connected via PB :slight_smile:

Given there are currently around 14K GWs directly on V3* (seen within last 2 weeks) that means a LOT of off network GW’s that will facilitate roaming via Packet broker, most are (I believe) private TTS instances but PB also supports Chirpstack instances etc…
Cant commnet on which commercial networks e.g. KPN and Helium - dont think so and much more restrictive than TTN so may not be compatible wrt traffic policies as I understand it…

…maybe someone form TTI Core will see this thread and chime in/clarify

(*) Note many V2 GW’s that still havent been migrated to V3 may still be contributing and working/routing via V3 however they are now ‘invisible’ and unmanagable (V2 Console closed) and so are hidden on the Map - Pre V2 sunset stats suggest there may be another 4-6K GW’s stuck on V2…

1 Like