UK Legal requirements for equipment

tnx Jose… I tried but I couldn’t find the source :wink:

Cheers Jose, if David made the statement then I guess he owes us the explanation/status :wink: Will also check through local Multitech office - one of the Eu staff is in a local community… :slight_smile:

1 Like

LoRa Alliance is coming with a clarification very soon!

5 Likes

Hi @Harald_Naumann, as I thought… completely overblown fake news.

There is an almost infinite distance between a single technical report and major changes to international radio regulations.

The only outcome that I see as likely before the next ice-age is that national regulatory agencies will try to make money from assigning and licensing additional spectrum and pushing large-scale IoT network operators to use licensed spectrum. Maybe in 10 years. Probable in 20 years.

I guess 1 problem is when the 1% DC was allowed technologies like LoRa & Sigfox didnt exist and there was no expectation of many devices at a distance being able to ‘hear’ potential interferers :wink: The further we hear the greater the chance of collision/masking even allowing for exotic processes like near orthogonal SF’s :slight_smile: Lets hope spectrum doesnt get too congested, that people play nice and dont push up against the DC limits ‘just because they can’, …and that Gov’s/Regulators don’t jump on this as a revenue generating/taxing exercise :wink: :grinning:

1 Like

Jeff, the Germans vote for 0.1% duty cycle. Read more:

Bad timing buddy your usual trolling didn’t quite last very long this time:

“ As part of a discussion about Regional Parameters during the #TheThingsConference 1 February, the language on one of my slides was unclear and has conveyed misinformation into the market. I want to be clear, that #LoRaWAN devices are fully qualified as SRD throughout Europe –– there is no issue at all with using LoRaWAN in Europe. There should be complete confidence in everyone’s ability to deploy LoRaWAN now and in the future.”

6 Likes

Also @wienkegiezeman commented on LinkedIn:

The facts are. This slide was shown at The Things Conference. This slide is not true. This was a mistake made by one of the LoRa Alliance members. Happens, we are all humans. It will be rectified shortly by the LoRa Alliance. No stress, LoRaWAN is here to stay.

4 Likes

kromhouthal-25

:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Great news! …but does beg the question what was he (or the author if just presenting someone elses work!) smoking?! :wink: (well…it was in Amsterdam :see_no_evil: ) Tee Hee!..

2 Likes

I suspect there’s a small kernel of truth to the slide but far from the “end of LoRaWAN” the usual FUDster picked up on.

It does raise the point that perhaps we - as users - should be organising together with the LoRaWAN Alliance and others to campaign for the increase the ISM allocation and get better access restrictions.

If anything this has shown is that access to spectrum is too important to be happening behind closed doors by (expensive) membership only organisations.

We need this if we’re to ever reach that goal of billions of devices.

Let’s do this? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wonder if there is space in the spectrum to allow that.

Many of the current rules were deemed suitable and set many years ago when we had a realtivly non-connected World, not nearly so much competition for allocations.

With the increases we have seen in IOT stuff in recent years, where is the extra spectrum going to be found ?

dsmith

drawing back. But this statement does not include at all a real explanation, WHY this misleading information could happen. btw.: the language was very clear :slight_smile:

The report is not a vote. “This survey was charged by the Federal network Agency (BNetzA, Germany) to get an independent view to several aspects in the context of coexistence of different SRD applications working in the same band”.
It contains a number of recommendations, made by some external entity, with no mention of voting. If the company that wrote it is really IMST, I expected it changed mind in the last 7 years :wink:

3 Likes

One view on Spectrum Allocation; it should be used by those who provide the highest economic value. Spectrum Auctions are one way to determine who will make the best use of the Spectrum. This approach would not apply in an ISM band, but the same principle could apply and therefore more bandwidth could be allocated if it’s generating higher economic value. Also spectrum can be reclaimed, people who currently use a piece of the Sprectrum don’t “own” it, they are allocated it for a period of time and this can be reclaimed.

Just a thought on why you may want to consider to

2 Likes

Here, Here!, More spectrum being discussed with the potential 874-876 & 915-921 Harmonization…BUT…be careful what you wish for - we dont want the fragmentation of users/communities and equipment as seen in US & AU where there are many channels and potential frequency plans now causing much angst and confusion and hard decision on which way to go. The 874-876 band pehaps dedicated to LoRaWAN could be good option and in range of re-tuning existing kit, trying to cover 865 to 921 with the same (low cost) kit becomes a challenge! :wink:

1 Like

Who gets to judge economic value? How do people with poor access and with low incomes get level playing field for their needs compared with governments & corporates with deep pockets? e.g. A low income shepherd living via subsidies with no classical cellular coverage in distant hills, or in range but little spare budget to pay the cellular ‘tax’ of the gov & operators may have same need to monitor his/her flock, monitor environment, plant, equipment, flooding, feed & water levels etc. as someone with similar needs in better served area and with better funding/deeper pockets…who decides the ‘value’ & to whom? With LoRaWAN/TTN and ISM band access you can just do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding the crucial slide: I was not there to hear, but I interpret what is written, thinking at the Italian situation, as the prohibition to create a national LoRaWAN network for entities that are not registered telecom operators (or at all, but I suspect this is made to register who is systematically exploiting the band for profit). From some point of view this could make sense. However, I cannot find any public reference to this decision.

1 Like

the way to go is to decrease the duty cycle and more restrictions:

1 Like

still missing after 3 days… hmmm