Using the migration tool - check keys have been cleared in v2

Posted on Slack by @matthijskooijman, so a cautionary tale to take note of:

Hm, just a heads up for anyone that still needs to migrate to v3. Maybe this has been fixed already, but I used the ttn-lw-migrate tool back in August, thinking I had migrated all 800 of our nodes, but recently discovered some nodes were added to v3, but not cleared in v2 (maybe due to rate limits or other transient problems), without, AFAICT, proper feedback about this. Similarly, today I found out that (due to a duplicate DevEUI in v2), adding one node to v3 failed, which seems to have skipped adding all subsequent nodes, but the migration tool does seem to have cleared the keys of all nodes, including the ones that were not actually migrated. Hopefully these issues have been since fixed, but it doesn’t make me very confident in the robustness of the migration tool…

Fortunately I did a dry-run to export all info and keys before I started, so I have been able to recover all devices, but I’d recommend anyone that still needs to migrate to remember to take a backup as well, and doublecheck whether all devices are actually and properly migrated…

Posted with @matthijskooijman’s permission.

1 Like