Which Gateway to buy (GER)

Hello,
i am new to LORA and The Things Network. For my new hobby project i will setup a handfull pm2.5 sensor around my town (~5km).

For the Gateway i need:

• Active POE, i don’t like passive POE and i have POE Switches.
  • Outdoor. It should be useable outdoors without any case
  • Max 400 Euro
  • Low Power < 5 Watt

RAK7268 WisGate Edge Lite 2

• No Outdoor case. So i must buy some enclosure
  • Software?

The Things Outdoor Gateway

• Expensiv
  • I am not shure if i can use other Networks (like helium).
  • Quality?

Mikrotik wAP LoRa8 kit

• Good Price
  • Passive POE

Can you recommend me a gateway?

Check the Dragino DLOS8 OUTDOOR LORAWAN GATEWAY, it has 802.3af PoE.
Available at Antratek in Europe.

1 Like

Hello,

I use a Pi with an IC880A Lorawan concentrator . These 2 components in an outdoor case I recovered from our Radio Network. It all works very well for 2 years now. The Pi include a thermal sensor wich can help know how HOt it is inside the case (I’m leaving by 21°S latitude and beleive me, it’s hot).

In your place, I would go now for the following solution :

• Again an PI3 (cheaper) … because we are DIYers

• A outdoor case from RAK (here)

• A IC880A again or a RAK 2245, probably more adapted to the case and with a better heat sink

• A POE adapter for your usage. there are plenty of theses

• An convenient antenna with 3dBI as you want to do a local LoraWan system

It would cost approx 40€ + 69€ + 120€ (RAK) + 10€ + 35€ = 280€ + ports => ~ 350€

I have built a hat for the pi that can handle RF69 also so in one system, I can handle 2 protocols. Let me know if your interested. (The Radiohead library for Arduino is very impressive and is to my mind more suitable than lora for local needs, RFM69HW is far cheaper than Lorawan modules an easier to program)

Well. … forget my post …The Mikrotik gateway is much cheaper and seems to win the match …

@nikorun Thanks.

The Mikrotik Gateway has only passiv POE.

@kersing Do you know any Reviews? I found not many.

If you do consider making a case yourself, you could use any number of indoor gateways. Even those that do not have POE - because you can plan the housing so that a POE adapter fits inside, which brings POE for example to 5V or to the voltage that the respective gateway then needs. And indoor gateways are much cheaper…

I have one running (4G model) remotely. Its doing well. Stable software. Sensitivity on part with other gateways. I am running it with the provided power supply so I can’t comment on the PoE part.

Mast mount is a bit questionable with regard to connection to the housing (small screws) so I added tie-wraps to secure it.

Would I need to buy a new outdoor gateway in the near future this model or MikroTiks offering are at the top of the list.

As far as i know you can use a LtAP Mini wich has 802.3af/at and a R11e-LoRa8EU Module.
You do not have the option for a LTE Connection because the necessary pcie slot is occupied with the R11e-LoRa8EU.

This looks nice. I checked the images and I can not see any way to connect the antenna. This would be a deal breaker.

Do you think IP20 is enough for permanent outdoor use?

Not a bit:
2 = Protection from fingers or similar objects
0 = No protection from water at all

I’d trust Jac’s recommendation any time, go for it

You are right this is not completely prepared.

The help oulines the following hint:

The device enclosure has places where you can drill openings for external LTE and GPS antennas. Use a drill to make holes that are appropriate for the antenna cable used.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/LtAP+mini

LTE and GPS ist mentioned as it is available as kit with an LTE module.

I Ordered the gateway with LTE

Thanks for the help

1 Like