Cannot register a new TTIG - "the gw already exists"

Given the scary dire warnings about not deleting is it easier if they just transfer ownership from console if contacted?

2 Likes

I’d anticipate that you, @htdvisser, are not in sales or marketing?

Like many other consumer rights like right to repair etc, it’s not unreasonable that people can buy a unit second hand (I appreciate that that’s not the case here).

Or if there is the occasional registration problem there is a solution.

Or if the factory has a glitch (pause production just as an EUI is burnt in but before the system knows this, restart at the last EUI, end up with a duplication).

This can apply to other gateways, not just TTIG.

Attracting new people to the LoRaWAN cause is somewhat the whole point of TTN, killing the second hand market is likely to have a future impact.

Please could this be escalated, along with a change to the v2 gateway console so it has a message or link to the forum entry about the gateway last seen information.

Thanks.

4 Likes

@Jeff-UK: Sure, that also works.

@descartes: We are working on a feature called “Device Claiming” that makes it easier to transfer ownership of devices (and later also for gateways) in The Things Stack (v3). This will not be added to v2 though, so for now transferring ownership is going to require the old owner to assist with the transfer.

If anyone knows then it’s you, but we all make mistakes, so just to be sure: isn’t that the only way that works?

Delete gateway

You will not be able to restore the gateway or re-use its ID.

@htdvisser, thanks for the info about the current owner - without this I deducted from the json the gw doesn’t have an owner. I’ve just sent him/her a priv message to sort out the problem *wanted t add you in cc, but you’re not accepting messages :expressionless: )

In fact I bought 2 new TTIG in May 2020 from maker-shop - which was the only place to buy it in Switzerland. I registered the first TTIG without a problem just after the purchase. The second one was not so lucky.

Hopefully @Farm21 will clear out if there are two TTIG with the same id of there was a fixable mistake.

What about introducing a pragmatic approach: you can always delete a gateway if no packets were received by it? That would cover most of the cases of inputting invalid gateway id by mistake?

1 Like

Without being aware of all V2 implementation intricasies:
My common sense (based on extensive experience with software and hardware) says that this is all mainly about configuration / data.
From that viewpoint it should be technically possible to update, delete or invalidate such data to enable successfull reregistration of a gateway (even if this would possibly lose hostorical data).

But that of course is only as viewed from my simplified logical perspective.

Hi pshemek,

I’ve checked the registered eui against the actual gateway eui and indeed, I’ve made a typo. I’ve removed the gateway with the wrong eui so you should now be able to register your gateway.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

2 Likes

Removed? - Hopefully not ‘deleted given’ warnings as easiest to just transfer ownership as above?!

If deleted then Hylke will need to help step in and correct the database to allow re-addition?

With “Removed” you mean “Deleted”?
As in “You will not be able to restore the gateway or re-use its ID.”? :thinking:

Hey @Farm21,
Thanks for the super quick response and the explanation.
I’ve just registered my gw and it received successfully packets from my node.

@arjanvanb @bluejedi : it seems the dire warnings about deleting the gateway are a bit exaggerated - the minute after @Farm21 deleted the gw from his/her account, I was able to register it on my console.

2 Likes

This is how it used to work at least and therefore not something that the average gateway owner was willing to experiment with.

Maybe it was transferred, not deleted.
Or @htdvisser already automagically intervened?

nope - I registered a new gateway

1 Like

As far as I know this is actually only the case for applications in v2. In v3 it’s indeed also for gateways (although you can re-use the EUI now). We still have to find a permanent solution there.

That doesn’t work I’m afraid. In your case the gateway with that ID was actually receiving packets (yours).

1 Like

Well, my gateway receive my packets when I connected it to internet. But it would work for Farm21, bacause when Farm21 registered the gateway with invalid ID, nothing was online and the invalid gateway would not get online until the hardware is connected to internet by the physical owner, which give statistically some safe time window when the mistake can be recognized and fixed by deleting a “ghost” gateway

How does that explain the following when deleting a gateway?:

1 Like

Tracking down the original owner, especially with user ids like @bluejedi :wink: may not be feasible.

Will there be any issues transferring gateways & devices from v2 to v3?

I concur - although I appreciate that much of the systems are distributed, surely there is one true data source that replicates?

The HotMess alarm has gone off in my office and my brain is boggled, but it appears that:

• If someone miskeys an EUI, you are stuck
  • If someone sells a gateway, you are stuck until they:
    ** Transfer it via the console
    ** Or possibly delete it, as it has worked here, but everyone thought that wouldn’t work
2 Likes

Great!

And/or setting gateway owner to non-public will make things even harder.

At least an email address is known for each user.
(In less common cases where the email address was temporary and the user is no longer active, that email address will not be of much help.)