How to connect Utrecht E&A exhibition KISS LoRa to TTN?

treid several times during about half anb hour at distance of 300-600 m with antanne on the building in sight.
but with the still unmodified device no success.

Hoi Jelle,

Maybe your device is defect? At the moment my device has sometimes connection with “The Meehn-gateway”, due to the bad radiolink.

So many datapackets are lost;

But there is no connection with "The Kadaster-gateway anymore?
What is happening there?

Thx for yor reply.
Devies could be defect, but i don.t think so.

A week ago it worked for about two days without losing packets at rssi - 117.
After that only messages in terminal screen " Join failed".

Took gadget and pc to neighbourhood of the Mheen and Kadster, but no packets arrived. Also not after resetting.

Keys are ok.

So it could be broken but still i do suspect the gateways.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Events in The Netherlands

just tried again at home
in console/device : reset frame counters

reset kiss lora and almost immediatly join was accepted (study room at home)
see screenshot
Signal received bij gateway de Mheen
frames: 0, 2, 3 and then kiss lora keeps sending ( blue light and terminal screen, but nothing in my console)
So i keep hoping .
I do not have any idea what could be wrong.

“time”: “2017-06-21T12:26:05.910675984Z”,
“frequency”: 867.3,
“modulation”: “LORA”,
“data_rate”: “SF8BW125”,
“coding_rate”: “4/5”,
“gateways”: [
{
“gtw_id”: “eui-0031552048001a03”,
“timestamp”: 3348826692,
“time”: “2017-06-21T12:26:04.818055Z”,
“channel”: 4,
“rssi”: -107,
“snr”: 7,
“latitude”: 52.22202,
“longitude”: 5.993231,
“altitude”: 65
}
],
“latitude”: 52.216347,
“longitude”: 5.9813824,
“altitude”: 16
}
Estimated Airtime
102.912 ms

When my device is in operating mode the USB connection is only used for powering up by an USB-power unit. Keeping a “terminal” connected via USB to the device may have some side effect.

Last week I went to the gateway de Mheen: with the antenna on the building in sight is moved at a distance of 200,300, and 500 m in direction North and South, but no join accepted. (waited at each point about 5 minutes.)
a day later I noticed that with the device in my study a join was accepted (gateway the Mheen) but after 200 transmssion no more received messages. After two days device restarted but no succes past few days (with and without terminal connected)
next week I’ll try with 8.6 cm antenna
It is without better data and equipment difficult to troubleshoot .
-software and hardware seems ok
that leaves either antenna problem or gateway problem…

@Jelle007 Sorry to say but I monitor the gateway at the mheen at a regular intervals. The gateway is receiving contiously nodes. My KISS lora is running in my study now for a long time and this is it’s data: https://cayenne.mydevices.com/shared/5937a53e7931cd078b9bbc1e

thx, that leaves only antenna or radiochip.
I will try antenna and at the end of the week I hope an new node based on elektor arduino parts.
keep you informed

1 Like

My device refused to connect to the network, but after this modification it connected right away!
Thanks for sharing this.

I think i bricked my KISSLora board, cannot program it any longer with Arduino IDE.
It tells me programmer not found (or incompatible?)
Can this be solved by programming the bootloader again?

Anyone done this, or knows how to start?

Pls. Advice.
Kisslora print doesn’t make contact with a gateway. I use the ttn.fyi/Kisslora app, working well at commisioning in Utrecht, is this the correct app to connect and read the data?
Albert

Does anybody know where to get the old KISS LoRa Demo App with ABP working? The demo app found on Github only supports OTAA.

Tomorrow at the meetup of TTN Apeldoorn we will have KISS mini-hackathon.
There will be two rework stations and some support.

Bare in mind that it will be a very busy evening together with the presentations.

Check it out and RSVP! http://meetu.ps/39RYtx

I think this version should still do the trick. I guess the developers don’t like the feature that enables fallback to ABP (for good reasons of security btw).

But remember you have to perform the setappeui provisioning trick I described above, or do a little code adjustment yourself.

Hi Jelle,

I’ll hope your are lucky with the Kiss LoRa-antenna and the node with the elektor arduino parts.
A couple of days ago I went by car from the North of A. to Zutphen with the KissLora on the rear shelf.
There has been connection with 3 gateways: Mheen, Myrtillushof? in A.

en Auxenze,Industrieweg, Zutphen.

At the moment my device has send 50848 packets. 1 : 10 was received by a gateway.

When looking at the KissLoRa demosoftware it’s conform what you can see in de Arduino IDE serial monitor below.

So for the moment I’ll keep the Kiss LoRa in the “original form”.

1 Like

Today I changed C24 to a 10nH inductor. Intial results look fine.:thumbsup:

Thank you, Batilan. I flashed the sketch and did the setappeui provisioning trick and KISS Lora is sending data to my single channel gateway. But not all features described in dokumentation of KISS seems to work. It takes a long time to show any reaction after turning the rotary switch and sometimes I can’t see any reaction. Any idea what’s going wrong?

Keep in mind that the spreading factor used during transmission influences the distance you can cover to a gateway. The higher the SF the longer the distance. The KISS demo app uses a random SF so the arrival of your packets will vary accordingly.

If you want to experiment and have reproducable results have a look at this part of the code:

uint8_t txsf = 7;
uint8_t rnd = (uint8_t)random(1, 64);

if (rnd == 1 ) {
txsf = 12; // SF12
}
else if (rnd > 1 && rnd < 4 ) {
txsf = 11; // SF11
}
else if (rnd > 3 && rnd < 8 ) {
txsf = 10; // SF10
}
else if (rnd > 7 && rnd < 16 ) {
txsf = 9; // SF9
}
else if (rnd > 15 && rnd < 32 ) {
txsf = 8; // SF8
}
else {
txsf = 7; // SF7
}

1 Like

Yesterday at the TTN Apeldoorn meetup we successfully modified the KISS gadget.

3 Likes