How to connect Utrecht E&A exhibition KISS LoRa to TTN?

:clap: Any RSSI/SNR figures or coverage comparisons available already? :man_teacher:

Did the modification, now got 10-12dB extra signal on my gateway. Moved C24 (5.6pF) to C23 and added the 10nH inductor to C24.

[moderator: changed part numbering to avoid confusion]

1 Like

Replace the Letters R for C in message above and i believe these figures ā€¦ :slight_smile:

What is the footprint of the 10nH inductor and where can I get it?

Thanks, but Iā€™m afraid to crash the gadget when I try to dowload new software. Iā€™ve bad experiences with this ā€œArduinoā€ alikes.
Now I do my LoRa experiments with the Pycom Lopy. Easy programming in python with the Atom IDE on Linux and direct results as a second kiss-lora-device.

I got mine here: http://nl.rs-online.com/web/p/multilayer-surface-mount-inductors/7777016/

My closest acces point is 8km from my home (open field) is it reasonable to expect a proper connection? If so I will try to fix the antenna, or replace it with a half wave dipole.

Do you have some inductors leftover that you can sell to me?

I have two left that can become yours. So, if you send me a DMā€¦

Yes it is, I have succesfully modidfied my KISS and suddenly it connects to a gateway 9km from my workplace. Be sure to play with the spreadfactor setting to get a consistent link, I use SPF 12.

good news, thanks

I have my KISSLoRa with me in my car and have it configured in the TTNMapper gadget. Today I drove by a gateway and it connected and finally got the OTAA keys near Ede, this was at 1km distance. Later I send some data via a gateway in Arnhem at 5km distance. So larger distances is no problem, but getting connected via OTAA is a bit difficult. I guess it would be best to use ABP on this gadget.

I know the RN2483 try to join on OTAA with SF7, but I never really figured out what their back-out algorithm was. You would think itā€™s somewhat close to LoRaMac-node, but the RN2483 gives up way too soon for it to have tried several time at every spread factor.

In fact, this topic seems to imply there are no back out strategy for OTAA, and the user is supposed to implement one themselves.

Just in case, try adding ā€œmac set dr 0ā€ before your ā€œmac joinā€, and check on the TTN console the SF of the JOIN_REQUEST message.

This is dependant on how you control the RN2483. TTN uses by default SF7 for OTAA but you can force OTAA using SF12 if you want. When static ADR can than control the node to go up to the aproperiate SF that fits the propagation path. Settings are done in the TTN library.

I never used the TTN library to control my RN2483s, only the command reference manualā€¦ and I never saw anything in it hinting at this behavior, hence my comment.
Furthermore, my experience is that JOIN_REQUEST can be sent at any SF, regardless of the network. The network only controls the ADR (so SF and TX power) if enabled on the node, and the SF/frequency of RX2.

Anyway, the spread factor used for JOIN_REQUEST doesnā€™t depend on whether ADR is enabled or not.

Dag Jelle,
Ik bezit ook een Kiss-lora van de EA-beurs.
ABP commissioning in Utrecht deed mijn software crashen en lade het programma volgens voorschrift.
Nu dus OTAA.
Lorawan kan ik met een LOS verbinding over 10km bereiken op Texel ten zuiden van Oude Schild.
Een aantal keren heb ik vanaf fort Kijkduin (den Helder) een connect gehad.
Na ca. 15 minuten heb ik bijvoorbeeld de volgende resultaten op het scherm:

frames up 18 reset frame counters
frames down 8

Een aantal dagen heb ik tijdens mijn wandeling gepoogd data te ontvangen temp, humidity, etc., maar tot nu niets.
Mijn vragen: hoeveel frames down moet ik minimaal ontvangen? Wat gaat er mis? Hoeveel minuten moet ik minimaal wachten eer mijn eerste data verschijnt? Doe ik iets fout?

Mvg, Roel,

http://pa0rbc.atspace.com/arduino/arduino.html
mijn excuses dit bericht niet in het Engels te doen om verkeerde formuleringen te voorkomen.

Mine works perfectly after the update but the only things I do not see are the:

ā€œlatitudeā€
ā€œlongitudeā€
ā€œaltitudeā€

The weird thing is that the ttn mapper does just work fine but the Locaton in the Things Network Consol is not shown.

does anyone have an idea?

Hello Otto,

The Kiss Lora has no GPS onboard so no lat/long/alt.

Hello, Iā€™m a novice with lora.
I have two Kisslora nodes working good with a mini gateway.
Placed the nodes side by side the sensors shows different indications.
E.g. Temp to high and different. Even the humidy and lux sensors.
How can i calibrate those sensors?
Greeting Albert1

Hi Albert1, may i ask what hardware you have for you mini gateway? I also have a KissLora and just built my own single channel gateway with a Raspberry Pi and a Lora Hat. Somehow it doesnā€™t work. My gateway doesnā€™t get any data and the KissLora canā€™t connect to my gateway (my gateway shows connected on TTN though).

Do i have to modify the software in the KissLora so it uploads only to a specific single channel? If yes, how can i achieve this?

I followed this tutorial for setting up my Single Channel Gateway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-QlEaonLU, but i just found out this video is out of date since a while. Can somebody please point me to a good/recent working tutorial for how to setup a Raspberry Pi and Lora Hat for a Single Channel Gateway to connect to the TNN?

hmā€¦i realise i asked a lot of questionsā€¦sorry about that :confused: