Laird Sentrius RS1xx Series

@Johan_Scheepers
More like “delirious” or maybe “dreaming”…

But I did not know that at the time…

Not sure what you are asking but if it is along the lines of “can I monitor a bee hive - with sensors/antennas perhaps 0.5-1.5m above local ground level (green) with a gateway at my cousins house somewhere unidentified but roughly 10km N.N.East (Blue) with the intervening Golden Horseshoe/Canal Road river valley perhaps showing the only LOS route past the intervening high areas - Orange/Red”…

…Then unless the GW is very high ('00’s m!) then almost certainly answer would be no! FWIW when monitoring Apriaries I usually look for a GW to be <150m-<2km away with good LOS, decent GW height (10’s m) and little e.g. forestry or buildings/clutter getting in the way. With a node low down freznel zone effects start to impact pretty quickly.

If the 400 Highway elevated or on an embankment that would make prospects even worse…

A laudable goal but what s/w? PF? LNS? Why when there are others around - including ones can be used on an embedded/stand alone GW implementation, many off the shelf (GIYF) - also likely would take it out of scope for this forum - though frankly I would hazard that from your questions and approach to responses you are still at the baby steps stage and along way from achieving this and with a lot of learning ahead of you!

Not an unusual use case, or one that hasnt been tackled many times before…

The folks assisting with the odd point question arising from some own research and background demonstrated on the forum aren’t going to get you there with these odd/occasional questions and demonstrated lack of basic fundamentals knowledge wrt LoRaWAN and would likely be looking to charge you a consultancy fee instead for such commercial development! :wink:

Not the factor to focus on at this point - you arent going to push the technology (which has been well demonstrated for approx 10 years now!) and likely you just break stuff! LoRaWAN just works…the subtleties of such environments are things you can look at later when you start to look at proof points and POC deployments and start to cut your teeth on real world issues - right now it is all a lot more of those ‘how long is a piece of string’ discussions only in this case you are now looking at threads intertwined to make strings, which are then intertwined to make rope…with which you will likely just get hung up , if you excuse the pun! Don’t want to deter or disillusion you wrt goals -we all started somewhere similar - just setting expectations of complexity, some of which the other posters are also hinting at :slight_smile:

Absolutely - especiailly as likely you will/should only be uplinking on that sort of timescale…!

As I said previously

The are also no viable GW’s on the community network near you , with the closest Community likely Concord (Vaughan) to the south

1 Like

Called reading the forum and sifting all through all the information here and then build the tools you want or need.

You can manipulate the below to get some nice data about gateways and if you read on the forum you will find 2 more interesting ones.

https://mapper.packetbroker.net/api/v2/gateways?distanceWithin%5Blatitude%5D=43.991657292621156&distanceWithin%5Blongitude%5D=-79.62338820108134&distanceWithin%5Bdistance%5D=20000

I have a few hives with nodes inside them, they have a aluminum covered lid, the node is mounted on the lid on the inside.

The hive is some 16.6Km form the gateway and they work at SF9.

Another hive is serviced by a gateway 6.4Km away and works at SF7

I spoke to a guy that does satellite tracking on trucks, his preferred installation point for the tracker is below the trailer, he says that he gets the best coverage from there.

The point is to test and see what works best in your scenario.

1 Like

Aha! I want to know what hardware your using for the hive 16Km from the GW!

lol…

Absolutely :slight_smile: Theoretical ‘piece of string’ questions can be a guide…but its what works in the real world that counts…and can only be found by testing! :slight_smile:

Longest beehive connection I have is just over 9km with SF8 - not to my (clients) GW (which services the hive just fine anyhow from ~1.2km away) but to another community unit other side of valley downstream…

Fact is, as with the 70km range response earlier, we know these longer ranges are possible… 'cause LoRa Yay! but when planning for a deployment is it dangerous to assume possible and plan for shorter… then be pleaseantly suprised by what the real world delivers for us :slight_smile: :tada: :partying_face: Just dont want to set wrong expectations for @rcooke

WIth the ant poking through a hole in the top? If so likley the lid acts as a very efficient ground plane assisting enable great range! :wink:

2 Likes

Damn - too late!

Key is look at the pictures - great altitute for the link, no ground clutter and reasonably clean freznel zone! (Ok some detraction but usable)… in your case you have chuffing great ridges in the way that makes what ever materials used and construction/form somewhat moot! :wink:

And from Johan’s description definetly not likely to be a Laird RS1xx - and so off topic :rofl: as is much of this discussion and will now likely need moving to a clean/new thread…

2 Likes

The antenna is in the hive, I think the RF bounces off the lid and then of the ground, then to the gateway.

Actually there are no LOS, slight rise in the hill by the node and 30m of trees in the LOS

Here is one more hive 6.7km at SF 10

I have 7 hives with the same setup, bar 2 all all at SF7 and greater than 6Km

Don’t expect a lot, you need to test and then deploy.

Sorry off topic posting about bees. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So this would be?

You do appear to have enough knowledge to determine if you will violate the limits.

Yes, and I said “LoS to where? There are tools to check actual LoS but it needs the other end …”. No point pointing out that you gave the Lat/Long if the actual point I was pointing out is that you have only given ONE Lat/Long.

Device = node = sensor+radio. Gateway = gateway. Very few COTS gateways come with mast antenna, you choose the antenna, so you are going to need to know about its gain plus losses in the cabling.

Which will most likely breach FUP so you’ll need to keep the uplink interval to about two per hour, depending on payload format.

Feel free to carry on learning LoRaWAN by blunt force trauma, but be aware that enthusiasm for supporting those that employ this technique wanes pretty quickly.

2 Likes

Pretty much the same as everyone else - if you go and count the number of manufacturers of LoRa chipsets - so it will be down to the antenna but I feel we’re going to be rinsing and repeating …

4 Likes

What about SWR, G?

Next you’ll want to talk about radiation patterns which will set @Jeff-UK off on too good an antenna creating a dead patch in the immediate area, or some such.

I have always found it interesting that when someone is say giving a learned lecture on antennas, and they put up all those fancy pictures and diagrams with weird names and that look like the ring dounuts you get from the supermarket, there is most often no practical evidence of range testing and how the antenna actully performs in the real world.

2 Likes
1 Like

@LoRaTracker Do worry I have 100% no idea where my nodes are, nor to which gateway they work to, the RSSI, SF, SNR, consume airtime, battery life and I just uplink every 6s and down every 30s.

So I must be 100% compliant.

What would be the way to test an antenna:

• without breaking the bank.
  • requiring many miles of LOS visibility
  • that produces usable, objective, results
  • with a manageable amount of effort

I’ve got plenty of results from nodes and gateways in the field, however there are too many variables I don’t control and that aren’t visible in those results (parked cars or other shielding objects, weather conditions among them). For an objective test how an antenna performs these need to be excluded so all antennas will be tested under the same conditions. That is hard without a fully equipped lab and Anechoic Chamber, isn’t it?

And multiple copies of each - which makes for a bit of a headache - and then there is long term degradation of the materials so it needs to be for a while.

Maybe a quick sequence of tests in a open field over the space of a few hours to categorise them is the most realistic we can get - I think I’ve seen pictures of Stuart’s setup in a field somewhere here or on his blog.

Its actually very easy to do real World comparisions of antennas, you do need some LoRa nodes, one as a transmitter and another as a receiver.

No need for an Anechoic Chamber either, your not going to put the Gateway in an anechoic chamber so why test it in one. All you need is a large open field, a transmitter and receiver and some long bamboo poles, oh and its helpful if you have built a 1/4wave vertical with radials antenna as reference.

In simple terms you mount the transmitter, which sends out test packets, on a large bamboo pole, say 2M off the ground, or more if you want. Then with the referance antenna in place go 50m or 100m away and measure the RSSI of the received packets, the antenna on the receiver does not matter as long as you use the same one for each comparison. Put the receiver on a pole too so you can stand out of the way. A display on the receiver helps, or you can just use a long serial lead and laptop to read the receiver output.

Swap antennas and do the measurement again. You now know the real world performance differance, in dBm, between the two antennas. And your measuring what you want to know, the performance at roughly horizontal, outdoors, in the real world. Want to put the test transmitter on top a roof, then do so, go a long distance away, read the signal RSSI, swap antennas and repeat.

Some descriptions of past testing endevours are described here;

https://stuartsprojects.github.io/2016/04/01/testing-and-comparing-transmitters-receivers-and-antennas.html

The link testing software, including the decending power level stuff is in my library.

If you use the same large open field, referance antennas, heights of antennas, software etc, you can go back a year later and run the same tests so you can compare the performance of a new antenna.

There was once an antenna design touted as an easy to build good gain job. It was designed by ‘someone’ who has given talks on propagation at TTN conferances. The antenna was indeed fairly easy to build, just bits of wire some straight and some coiled. The SWR match was very low indeed, so must be a real good antenna ? So over to my local playing field I went, and compared it to my 1/4wave vertical with radials. This easy build antenna was rubbish, somewhere around 4-6dBm down on the much smaller 2dBi referance. Why such a poor real world antenna, no idea, maybe it was radiating up at the heavens.

And if you reduce the power output of the transmitter enough, put it in a tin or wrap it in foil, you can use a receiver, with a beeper fitted, that you fit with the antenna to test and walk away until the receiver stops beeping. The distance comparison between antennas gives you the relative gains. The technique is describe for 2.4Ghz antennas here.

https://stuartsprojects.github.io/2019/04/27/Antennas-for-SX1280-2-4Ghz-LoRa-tranceivers.html

In that test it literally took 10 minutes to do a real worl comparison between 6 antennas.

There is more examples of using ‘ping’ testing for antenna\receiver comparisons here;

https://stuartsprojects.github.io/2015/01/05/Semtech-LoRa-Transceivers-a-KISS-approach-to-Long-Range-Data-Telemetry.html

2 Likes

Yep large open field.

If you go to a garden centre you will find quite long bamboo poles, tie 3 together at the end, and you can quickly form a stable tripod, which you can then hang antennas from with string.

Wrap the transmitter and battery together with PVC tape and hang from the antenna plug with SMA connectors etc.

Somewhere I’ve one of DaveA’s but as I moved early 2020, I’m not sure where it’s gone. It was the classic SMA / Guitar String soldered combo, finding info on lengths is simple enough (like 1/4 Wave Ground Plane Antenna Calculator – M0UKD – Amateur Radio Blog)

But do you have a recommended set of instructions for an own build or is the SMA Guitar acceptable?